Phenotypic selection and regulation of reproduction in different environments in wild barley
Article first published online: 13 MAY 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 1121–1131, September 2004
How to Cite
Volis, S., Verhoeven, K. J. F., Mendlinger, S. and Ward, D. (2004), Phenotypic selection and regulation of reproduction in different environments in wild barley. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 17: 1121–1131. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00738.x
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2004
- Article first published online: 13 MAY 2004
- Received 5 June 2003; revised 1 March 2004; accepted 2 March 2004
- 1989. Seed size and number in Rubus chamaemorus: between-habitat variation, and effects of defoliation and supplement pollination. J. Ecol. 77: 1080–1092.
- 1990. Paternal effects on seed size in a population of Crepis tectorum (Asteraceae). Oikos 59: 3–8.
- 1985. The meaning and measurement of reproductive effort in plants. In: Studies on plant demography: a festchrift for John L. Harper (J.White, ed.), pp. 203–227. Academic Press, London. &
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genetics 13: 115–155.
- 1998. “Excess” flower production and selective fruit abortion: a model of potential benefits. Ecology 79: 2123–2132.
- 1984. Patterns of change in seed weights over time on individual plants. Am. Naturalist 124: 324–335. &
- 1988. Quantitative genetic variation and natural selection in Cleome serrulata growing along a mild soil moisture gradient. Can. J. Botany 66: 1870–1876.
- 1988. Common Principal Components and Related Multivariate Models. Wiley, New York.
- 1990. Components of flowering time variation in a desert annual. Evolution 44: 1404–1423.
- 1995. Evolutionary stable seed polymorphism and small-scale spatial variation in seedling density. Am. Naturalist 146: 685–707.
- 1970. The shape and sizes of seeds. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Sistematics 1: 327–356. , &
- 1987. Abortion and the costs of fecundity in Epilobium montanum L. Oecologia 74: 31–38. &
- 1994. Genetic, phenotypic, and environmental correlations in black medic, Medicago lupulina L., grown in three different environments. Theor. Appl. Genet. 88: 604–613. , &
- 1971. The population genetics of Arabidopsis thaliana. II. Population structure. Heredity 27: 51–58.
- 1991. Path analyses of selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6: 276–280. , &
- 1995. Phenotypic plasticity in Cardamine flexuosa: variation among populations in plastic response to chilling treatments and photoperiods. Oecologia 103: 148–156. , &
- 1989. Resource limitation and offspring size and number trade-offs in Cirsium arvense (Asteraceae). Am. J. Botany 76: 1107–1113. &
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 1987. Selection of offspring size at independence and other size-versus-number strategies. Am. Naturalist 129: 800–817.
- 1986. Plasticity of yield components in response to stress in Sesbania macrocarpa and Sesbania vesicaria (Leguminosae). Am. Naturalist 127: 508–521. , &
- 1990. Plasticity of reproductive components at different stages of development in the annual plant Thlaspi arvense L. Oecologia 83: 105–116.
- 1987. The quantitative genetics of life history and fitness components of in Raphanus raphanistrum L. (Brassicaceae): ecological and evolutionary consequences of seed mass variation. Am. Naturalist 130: 891–914.
- 1989. Within- and among plant variation in seed mass and pappus size in Tragopogon dubius. Can. J. Botany 67: 1298–1304.
- 1988. Seed size variation: magnitude, distribution, and ecological correlates. Evol. Ecol. 2: 157–166. , , , , , &
- 1975. Effects of moisture stress on the growth and reproduction of three annual species from an arid region of Western Australia. J. Ecol. 63: 825–834. &
- 1979. Genetic diversity and environmental associations of wild barley, Hordeum spontaneum, in Israel. Evolution 33: 815–833. , , &
- 1998. CPC: Common Principal Component Analysis. University of Texas, Arlington. Software available at http://www.uta.edu/biology/phillips/software.
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance-covariance matrices. I. Using the Flury hierarchy. Evolution 53: 1506–1515. &
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity is the major determinant of changes in phenotypic integration in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 152: 419–430. &
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity to light intensity in Arabidopsis thaliana: invariance of reaction norms and phenotypic integration. Evol. Ecol. 16: 27–47. &
- 2001. Differentiation for flowering time and phenotypic integration in Arabidopsis thaliana in response to season length and vernalization. Oecologia 127: 501–508. &
- 1998. Reaction norms of Arabidopsis. V. Flowering time controls phenotypic architecture in response to nutrient stress. J. Evol. Biol. 11: 285–301. &
- 1992. Cost of reproduction as reduced growth in genotypes of two congeneric species with contrasting life histories. Oecologia 90: 21–26. &
- 1997. Evolution of seed size in a simple ecological model. Oikos 78: 116–126. &
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Systematics 17: 667–693.
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. &
- 1995. Lost in phenotypic space: environment dependent morphology in Phlox drummondii (Polemoniaceae). Int. J. Plant Sci. 156: 542–546. &
- 1992. The allometry of seed production in herbaceous angiosperms. Am. Naturalist 139: 467–483. &
- 1989. The paradox of seed size and adaptation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 4: 24–26.
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. Am. Naturalist 108: 499–506. &
- 1996. The phenology of Namaqualand ephemeral species. The effect of water stress. J. Arid Environ. 33: 49–62. , , &
- 2000. Evolution in stressful environments. I. Phenotypic variability, phenotypic selection, and response to selection in five distinct environmental stresses. Evolution 54: 93–111. , &
- 1981. Flower and fruit abortion: proximate causes and ultimate functions. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Systematics 12: 253–279.
- 1994. Effects of plant size and morphological constraints on variation in reproductive components in two related species of Epilobium. J. Ecol. 82: 735–746. &
- 1987. Evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Evol. Biol. 21: 127–178.
- 1999. Factors constraining fruit set in Mandevilla pentlandiana (Apocynaceae). Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 129: 187–205. &
- 1991. The ephemerals of Namaqualand: effects of photoperiod, temperature and moisture stress on development and flowering of three species. J. Arid Environ. 19: 133–145. , , &
- 1992. Size-number trade-offs and the variation of seed size with plant resource status. Am. Naturalist 140: 287–304.
- 2004. Differential selection of growth rate-related traits in wild barley, Hordeum spontaneum, in contrasting greenhouse nutrient environments. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 184–196. , , &
- 2002a. Differentiation in populations of Hordeum spontaneum Koch along a gradient of environmental productivity and predictability: life history and local adaptation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 77: 479–490. , &
- 2002b. Differentiation in populations of Hordeum spontaneum Koch along a gradient of environmental productivity and predictability: plasticity in response to water and nutrient stress. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 75: 301–312. , &
- 2002c. Adaptive traits of wild barley plants of Mediterranean and desert origin. Oecologia 133: 131–138. , &
- 1988. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of seed size in Prunella vulgaris. Ecology 68: 1537–1544.
- 1986. Seed size variation and pollinator uncertainty in Ipomopsis aggregata (Polemoniaceae). J. Ecol. 74: 361–371. , , &
- 1995. The genetics and ecology of seed size variation in a biennial plant, Hydrophyllum appendiculatum (Hydrophyllaceae). Oecologia 101: 343–352.