No place like home: competition, dispersal and complex adaptation
Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 17, Issue 6, pages 1328–1336, November 2004
How to Cite
Hadany, L., Eshel, I. and Motro, U. (2004), No place like home: competition, dispersal and complex adaptation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 17: 1328–1336. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00768.x
- Issue online: 31 AUG 2004
- Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2004
- Received 20 December 2003; revised 8 April 2004; accepted 13 April 2004
- 1984. Demography of the meadow jumping mouse (Zapus-Hudsonius) in eastern Massachusetts. Am. Mid. Nat. 112: 387–391. , &
- 1998. Proximate and ultimate causes of natal dispersal in the great bustard, Otis tarda. Behav. Ecol. 9: 243–252. , , &
- 2000. Phenotypic correlates and consequences of dispersal in a metapopulation of house sparrows, Passer domesticus. J. Anim. Ecol. 69: 762–770. , &
- 1989. Dispersal in rodents: a resident fitness hypothesis. The American Society of Mammalogists.
- 1989. Intrasexual competition, mating system and natal dispersal in song sparrows. Anim. Behav. 38: 958–979.
- 1982. Characteristics of dispersing meadow voles Microtus Pennsylvanicus. Am. Mid. Nat. 107: 262–283. &
- 1993. Adaptation and the ‘shifting balance’. Genet. Res. 61: 57–74. &
- 1970. Social subordination, population density, and mammalian evolution. Science 168: 84–90.
- Clobert, J., Danchin, E., Dhondt, A.A. & Nichols, J.D. (eds) 2001. Dispersal. Oxford University Press.
- 1997. A critique of Sewell Wright's shifting balance theory of evolution. Evolution 51: 643–671. , &
- 1990. Phase three of Wright's shifting balance theory. Evolution 44: 233–247. , &
- 1982. Competition for mates and predominant juvenile male dispersal in mammals. Anim. Behav. 30: 1183–1192.
- 1998. Social and ecological influences on dispersal and philopatry in the plateau pika. Behav. Eco. 9: 622–635. , &
- 2002. Causes and fitness consequences of natal dispersal in a population of black kites. Ecology 83: 858–972. , &
- 1980. Dispersal in small mammals. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 11: 163–196. &
- 1996. Social and nutritional factors influencing the dispersal of resident coyotes. Anim. Behav. 52: 1025–1043. , &
- 1980. Mating systems, philopatry and dispersal in birds and mammals. Anim. Behav. 28: 1140–1162.
- 2003. Adaptive peak shifts in a heterogenous environment. Theor. Pop. Biol. 63: 41–51.
- 2003a. Fitness associated recombination on rugged adaptive landscapes. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 862–870. &
- 2003b. On the evolutionary advantage of fitness-associated recombination. Genetics 165: 2167–2179. &
- 1991. Natal dispersal and social dominance in the common shrew Sorex araneus. Oikos 62: 48–58. , &
- 1992. The 3rd phase of Wright shifting balance – a simple analysis of the extreme case. Evolution 46: 1972–1975.
- 1975. The role of dispersal in the demography of small mammals. In: Small Mammals: Their production and population dynamics (F. B.Golley, K.Petrusewicz & L.Ryszkowsky, eds), pp. 103–128. Cambridge University Press, London.
- 1987. Age, season, distance, direction, and social aspects of wolf dispersal from a Minnesota pack. In: Mammalian Dispersal Patterns. (B.D.Chepko Sade & T.Halpin, eds), pp. 55–74. Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1994. A simulation of Wright's Shifting balance process: migration and the three phases. Evolution 48: 69–80. &
- 1967. Dispersal in vertebrates. Ecology 48: 975–978.
- 2000. Varying migration and deme size and the feasibility of the shifting balance. Evolution 54: 324–327. , &
- 1998. Requisite mutational load, pathway epistasis, and deterministic mutation accumulation in sexual versus asexual populations. Genetica 103: 71–81.
- 1999. Fitness-dependent dispersal in metapopulations and its consequences for persistence and synchrony. J. Anim. Ecol. 68: 530–539. &
- 2001. Factors affecting breeding dispersal in the facultatively colonial lesser kestrel: individual experience vs. conspecific cues. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 568–578. , , &
- 1998. Sex biased dispersal in a long-lived polygynous reptile. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44: 85–90. , , &
- 1991. Wright's shifting balance theory: an experimental study. Science 253: 1015–1018. &
- 1994. Encounters between red foxes: implication for territory maintenance, social cohesion and dispersal. J. Anim. Eco. 63: 315–327. &
- 1994. Assortative mating and the adaptive landscape. Evolution 48: 868–875. &
- 1921. Systems of matings. III. Assortative mating based on somatic resemblance. Genetics 6: 144–161. ,
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16: 97–159.
- 1932. The roles of mutation, inbreeding, crossbreeding and selection in evolution. Proceedings of the 6th International Congress of Genetics 1: 356–366. ,
- 1982. Character change, speciation, and the higher taxa. Evolution 36: 427–443. ,