Coevolutionary arms races: increased host immune defense promotes specialization by avian fleas
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 46–59, January 2005
How to Cite
Møller, A. P., Christe, P. and Garamszegi, L. Z. (2005), Coevolutionary arms races: increased host immune defense promotes specialization by avian fleas. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 46–59. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00774.x
- Issue online: 4 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2005
- Received 10 March 2004; revised 6 May 2004; accepted 6 May 2004
- 1994. Cellular and Molecular Immunology. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, USA. , &
- 2000. Amblyospora salinaria n. sp. (Microsporidia: Amblyosporidae), parasite of Culex salinarius (Diptera: Culicidae): its life stage in the intermediate host. J. Invert. Pathol. 71: 258–262. &
- 2002. Evolutionary Ecology of Birds. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1981. Patterns of furanocoumarin distribution and insect herbivory in the Umbelliferae: plant chemistry and community structure. Ecology 62: 1254–1266.
- 1983. Coumarins and caterpillars: a case for coevolution. Evolution 37: 163–179.
- 1999. Immunocompetence of nestling great tits in relation to rearing environment and parentage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 2315–2322. , , &
- 1986. Ectoparasitism as a cost of coloniality in cliff swallows (Hirundo pyrrhonota). Ecology 67: 1206–1218. &
- 1996. Begging, food provisioning, and nestling competition in great tits infested with ectoparasites. Behav. Ecol. 7: 127–131. , &
- 1998. Immunocompetence and nestling survival in the house martin: ‘The tasty chick hypothesis’. Oikos 83: 175–179. , &
- 2000. Genetic and environmental components of phenotypic variation in immune response and body size of a colonial bird, the house martin Delichon urbica. Heredity 85: 75–85. , , &
- 1999. Molecular analysis of the phylogeny of 11 genera of the Corvidae. Ibis 141: 297–306. &
- 2001. Parasitism. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Cramp, S., Simmons, K.E.L. & Perrins, C.M. (eds) 19821994. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, Vol. I–IX. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1993. CRC Handbook of Avian Body Masses. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- 1964. Butterflies and plants: a study in coevolution. Evolution 18: 586–608. &
- 2002. Phylogenetic analysis and comparative data: a test and review of evidence. American Naturalist 160: 712–726. , &
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Systemat. 19: 207–233. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1975. Coevolution of Animals and Plants. University of Texas Press, Austin, TX, USA. &
- 2004. Causal mechanisms underlying host specificity in bat ectoparasites. Oecologia 138: 648–654. , , , , , &
- 1999. Seasonal variation in the relationship between cellular immune response and badge size in male house sparrows (Passer domesticus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 46: 117–122. , &
- 1978. Suppression of phytohaemagglutinin skin response in thymectomized chickens. Poultry Science 57: 246–250. , , &
- 1999. Female extra-pair behaviour and environmental quality in the serin (Serinus serinus): a test of the ‘constrained female hypothesis’. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 1021–1026. , , &
- 1999. Immune function and survival of great tit nestlings in relation to growth conditions. Oecologia 121: 316–322. , , &
- 2000. Female blue throats enhance offspring immunocompetence through extra-pair copulations. Nature 406: 296–299. , , &
- 1998. Local adaptation in host–parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 2000. Experimental evidence of host specificity of Batonella infection in rodents. Comp. Immunol. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 23: 221–238. , , , , &
- 1991. Biology of Blood Sucking Insects. Harper Collins Academic, London, UK.
- 1975. Path Analysis – A Primer. Boxwood Press, Pacific Grove, CA, USA.
- 1996. Parasite virulence and host immune defense: host immune response is related to nest re-use in birds. Evolution 50: 2066–2072. &
- 2004. Immune response and survival. Oikos 104: 299–304. &
- 2001. Immune defense and host sociality: a comparative study of swallows and martins. Am. Nat. 158: 136–145. , , &
- 1981. The Ecology of Ectoparasitic Insects. Academic Press, London, UK.
- 2001. Does clutch size evolve in response to parasites and immunocompetence? Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 2071–2076. , , &
- 1997. Phylogenies and the comparative method: a general approach to incorporating phylogenetic information into the analysis of interspecific data. Am. Nat. 149: 646–667. &
- 1980. The morphology of the phytohemagglutinin-induced cell response in the chi'ken's wattle. Poult. Sci. 59: 616–623. , &
- 1990. A model for studying isolation mechanisms in parasite populations – the genus Lepeophtheirus (Copepoda: Caligidae). J. Exp. Zool. 254: 207–214. , &
- 1995. Maintenance of two genetic entities by habitat selection. Evol. Ecol. 9: 131–138. , &
- 2001. Physiological and hematological consequences of a novel parasite on the red-rumped swallow Hirundo daurica. Int. J. Parasitol. 31: 1187–1193. , , , , &
- 2000. Seasonal changes in cell-mediated immunocompetence and mass gain in nestling barn swallows: a parasite-mediated effect? Oikos 90: 327–332. , &
- 1999. Reproductive effort and T-lymphocyte cell-mediated immunocompetence in female pied flycatchers Ficedula hypoleuca. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 1105–1109. , &
- National Research Council 1992. Biologic Markers in Immunotoxicology. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- 1997. Inferring evolutionary processes from phylogenies. Zoologica Scripta 26: 331–348.
- 1999. Inferring the historical patterns of biological evolution. Nature 401: 877–884.
- 1997. Parasite faunas of freshwater fish: the relationship between richness and specificity of parasites. Int. J. Parasitol. 27: 1091–1098.
- 1980. Evolutionary Biology of Parasites. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 1999. Ectoparasitism and the trade-off between current and future reproduction. Oikos 86: 535–538. &
- 1993. Effect of an ectoparasite on reproduction in great tits. J. Anim. Ecol. 62: 703–710. , &
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nestling barn swallows in relation to brood size and parental effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 1993. Intergeneric phylogenetic relationships of swallows estimated by DNA-DNA hybridization. Auk 110: 798–824. &
- 1990. Phylogeny and Classification of Birds: A Study in Molecular Evolution. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT, and London, UK. &
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236: 787–792.
- 1999. Interactions between a brood parasite and its host in relation to parasitism and immune defence. Evol. Ecol. Res. 1: 189–210. , , &
- 2002. Is cell-mediated immunity related to the evolution of life-history strategies in birds? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 1059–1066. , &
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL and London, UK.
- 2000. Developing the options for managing marine pests: specificity trials on the parasitic castrator, Sacculina carcini, against the European crab, Carcinus maenas, and related species. J. Exp. Marine Biol. Ecol. 254: 37–51. , , , , , &
- 1983. The Ceratophyllidae: Key to the Genera and Host Relationships. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , &
- 1997. Host responses to ectoparasites: food compensation by parent blue tits. Oikos 78: 557–561. &
- 2002a . The importance of host sociality for parasite specialization and speciation: a comparative study of avian hosts and their fleas (Siphonaptera: Ceratophyllidae). J. Anim. Ecol. 71: 735–748. , &
- 2002b . Behavioural responses to ectoparasites: time-budget adjustments and what matters to blue tits Parus caeruleus infested by fleas. Ibis 144: 461–469. , &
- 1995. Sampling effort and parasite species richness. Parasitol. Today 11: 306–310. , , , &
- 1996. Host immunity to ticks. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 41: 1–22.
- 1968. Evolution and the Genetics of Populations. Vol. 1. Genetic and Biometric Foundations. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA.
- 1978. Evolution and the Genetics of Populations. IV. Variability Within and Among Populations. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA.