Pitfalls in experiments testing predictions from sperm competition theory
Article first published online: 4 APR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 116–123, January 2005
How to Cite
Engqvist, L. and Reinhold, K. (2005), Pitfalls in experiments testing predictions from sperm competition theory. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 116–123. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00792.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2005
- Received 4 May 2004; revised 4 June 2004; accepted 7 June 2004
- Birkhead, T.R. & Møller, A.P. (eds). 1998. Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 2003. Testis size increases with colony size in cliff swallows. Behav. Ecol. 14: 569–575. &
- 2002. Sperm competition selects for increased testes mass in Australian frogs. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 347–355. , &
- 2002. Adjustments of ejaculation rates in response to risk of sperm competition in a fish, the bitterling (Rhodeus sericeus). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 1549–1553. &
- 1995. Effects of risks of sperm competition on the numbers of eupyrene and apyrene sperm ejaculated by the moth Plodia interpunctella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 36: 261–268. &
- 2001. Antagonistic pre- and post-copulatory sexual selection on male body size in a water strider (Gerris lacustris). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 77–81.
- 2004. Mate preferences by male guppies (Poecilia reticulata) in relation to the risk of sperm competition. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 55: 266–271. &
- 2003. Male copulation behaviour and the risk of sperm competition. Anim. Behav. 66: 211–216. , &
- 1999a. Geographic variation in sperm production by Trinidadian guppies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 2083–2087. &
- 1999b. Male mating behaviour and sperm production characteristics under varying sperm competition risk in guppies. Anim. Behav. 58: 1001–1006. &
- 2003. Male mating behavior and ejaculate expenditure under sperm competition risk in the eastern mosquitofish. Behav. Ecol. 14: 268–273. , &
- 1998. Sperm competition affects male behaviour and sperm output in the rainbow darter. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265: 2365–2371.
- 1996. Male crickets increase sperm number in relation to competition and female size. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 38: 349–353. &
- 1991. Risk of sperm competition directly affects ejaculate size in the Mediterranean fruit fly. Anim. Behav. 42: 1036–1037.
- 1995. Continuous variation in reproductive strategy as an adaptive response to population density in the moth Plodia interpunctella. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 261: 25–30.
- 1995. Effects of alternative male mating strategies on characteristics of sperm production in the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): theoretical and empirical investigations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 350: 391–399. , &
- 1998. Sperm allocation in an uncertain world. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44: 161–168. &
- 1981. Testis weight, body weight and breeding system in primates. Nature 293: 55–57. , , &
- 1998. Testes mass in megachiropteran bats varies in accordance with sperm competition theory. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44: 169–177.
- 1997. Intrasexual selection and testis size in strepsirhine primates. Behav. Ecol. 8: 10–19.
- 2002. Strategic ejaculation in the common dung fly Sepsis cynipsea. Anim. Behav. 63: 541–546. &
- 1997. How to avoid seven deadly sins in the study of behavior. Adv. Study Behav. 26: 159–180.
- 2001. Ejaculate allocation by male sand martins, Riparia riparia. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 1265–1270. , &
- 2001. ‘Voyeurism’ prolongs copulation in the dragon lizard Ctenophorus fordi. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 50: 378–381.
- 1998. Snail sperm production characteristics vary with sperm competition risk. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265: 1527–1534. , &
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in the insects. Biol. Rev. 45: 525–567.
- 1990. Sperm competition games: sneaks and extra-pair copulations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 242: 127–133.
- 1993. Sperm competition games: sperm size and sperm number under adult control. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 253: 245–254.
- 1998. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculates: towards a theory base. In: Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection (T. R.Birkhead & A. P.Møller, eds), pp. 3–54. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 1996. Sperm competition games: individual assessment of sperm competition intensity by group spawners. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1291–1297. , , &
- 1997. Sperm competition games: a prospective analysis of risk assessment. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 1793–1802. , , &
- 1999. Optimal copula duration in yellow dung flies: effects of female size and egg content. Anim. Behav. 57: 795–805. , , , &
- 2002. Individual adjustment of sperm expenditure accords with sperm competition theory. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 99: 9913–9915. , &
- 2003. Sophisticated sperm allocation in male fowl. Nature 426: 70–74. , , &
- 2003. Ejaculate size variation in the migratory locust, Locusta migratoria. Behaviour 140: 319–332. &
- 2002. Cryptic male choice: sperm allocation strategies when female quality varies. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 201–209. , &
- 2001. Ejaculate expenditures of male crickets in response to varying risk and intensity of sperm competition: not all species play games. Behav. Ecol. 12: 740–745. &
- 2001. Sperm Competition and its Evolutionary Consequences in the Insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1997. Ejaculate expenditure by male bushcrickets decreases with sperm competition intensity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 1203–1208. &
- 1993. Bushcricket spermatophores vary in accord with sperm competition and parental investment theory. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 251: 183–186. , , , &
- 1999. Sperm competition games played by dimorphic male beetles. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 145–150. , &
- 1984. Sperm Competition and the Evolution of Animal Mating Systems. Academic Press, New York. (ed.)
- 2001. Plasticity in reproductive effort of male dung flies (Scatophaga stercoraria) as a response to larval density. Funct. Ecol. 15: 96–102. &
- 1997. Sperm competition in fishes: the evolution of testis size and ejaculate characteristics. Am. Nat. 149: 933–954. , , &
- 1989. Mass and production rate of ejaculates in relation to monandry/polyandry in butterflies. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 24: 395–402. &
- 1998. Sperm competition in fish: ‘bourgeois’ males and parasitic spawning. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 222–227.
- 1995. Sexual conflict – males with highest mating success convey the lowest fertilization benefits to females. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 262: 135–139. , , &