Present address: J. R. Etterson, Department of Biology, University of Minnesota, Duluth, MN 55812, USA
Population differentiation and hybrid success in Campanula americana: geography and genome size
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 81–89, January 2005
How to Cite
Galloway, L. F. and Etterson, J. R. (2005), Population differentiation and hybrid success in Campanula americana: geography and genome size. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 81–89. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00801.x
- Issue online: 4 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2005
- Received 12 March 2004; revised 12 June 2004; accepted 16 June 2004
- 1999. Variation in self-fertility, inbreeding depression and levels of inbreeding in four Cyclamen species. J Evol. Biol. 12: 113–122. &
- 1997. Evolution of the genetic architecture underlying fitness in the pitcher-plant mosquito, Wyoemyia smithii. Evolution 51: 451–458. , &
- 2002. Mechanisms and rates of genome expansion and contraction in flowering plants. Genetica 115: 29–36.
- 1998. Genetic interactions and natural selection in Louisiana Iris hybrids. Evolution 52: 1304–1310. , &
- 2001. Genotype-by-environment interaction and the fitness of plant hybrids in the wild. Evolution 55: 669–676. &
- 1991. A rapid means of sex identification in Silene latifolia by use of flow cytometry. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 9: 359–369. , &
- 1998. The evolutionary genetics of speciation. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 353: 287–305. &
- 1999. Heterosis and outbreeding depression in interpopulation crosses spanning a wide range of divergence. Evolution 53: 1757–1768.
- 2002. Does parental divergence predict reproductive compatibility? Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 520–527.
- 1999. Cytochrome-c oxidase activity in interpopulation hybrids of the marine copepod Tigriopus californicus: a test for nuclear-nuclear or nuclear-cytoplasmic coadaptation. Evolution 53: 1972–1978. &
- 2002. The influence of light on paternal plants in Campanula americana (Campanulaceae): pollen characteristics and offspring traits. Am. J. Bot. 89: 1899–1906. &
- 2000a. Population differentiation in an annual legume: genetic architecture. Evolution 54: 1157–1172. &
- 2000b. Inbreeding and outbreeding depression in natural populations of Chamaecrista fasciculata (Fabaceae): consequences for conservation biology. Conservation Biology 14: 1406–1412. &
- 1997. Mating structure and inbreeding and outbreeding depression in the rare plant Gentianella germanica (Gentianaceae). Am. J. Bot. 84: 1685–1692. &
- 2001. Evidence for Dobzhansky–Muller incompatibilities contributing to the sterility of hybrids between Mimulus guttatus and M. nasutus. Evolution 55: 1932–1942. &
- 1964. Cytotaxonomic studies in the genus Campanula. Wentia 11: 1–104.
- 2001. The effect of maternal and paternal environments on seed characters in the herbaceous plant, Campanula americana (Campanulaceae). Am. J. Bot. 88: 832–840.
- 1999. The effect of nuclear and cytoplasmic genes on fitness and local adaptation in an annual legume. Evolution 53: 1734–1743. &
- 2001. Nuclear and cytoplasmic contributions to intraspecific divergence in an annual legume. Evolution 55: 488–497. &
- 2003. Outcrossing rates and inbreeding depression in the herbaceous autotetraploid Campanula americana. Heredity 90: 308–315. , &
- 2003. Eukaryotic genome evolution: rearrangement and coevolution of compartmentalized genetic information. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 358: 87–97. , &
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 147–155. &
- 1996. Evolution of the magnitude and timing of inbreeding depression in plants. Evolution 50: 54–70. &
- 2000. Genome evolution of wild barley (Hordeum spontaneum) by BARE-1 retrotransposon dynamics in response to sharp microclimatic divergence. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 97: 6603–6607. , , , &
- 1994. Life history variation in Campanula americana (Campanulaceae): population differentiation. Am. J. Bot. 81: 521–527. &
- 1993. Techniques for Pollination Biologists. University of Colorado Press, Niwot, Colorado. &
- 2000. Genetic introgression from distant provenances reduces fitness in local weed populations. J Appl. Ecol. 37: 647–659. , &
- 1993. Species Evolution. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2000. The Origin, Expansion, and Demise of Plant Species. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1991. A genetic analysis of reproductive barriers in Phacelia dubia. Heredity 67: 331–345.
- 2002. Demographic consequences of inbreeding and outbreeding in Arnica montana: a field experiment. J. Ecol. 90: 593–603. , , &
- 1991. The genetic interpretation of inbreeding depression and outbreeding depression. Evolution 45: 622–629.
- 2000. The origin of interspecific genomic incompatibility via gene duplication. Am. Nat. 156: 590–605. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland. &
- 1983. Reproductive isolation as a pleiotropic effect of copper tolerance in Mimulus guttatus? Heredity 50: 295–302. &
- 2001. Nonlocal transplantation and outbreeding depression in the subshrub Lotus scoparius (Fabaceae). Am. J. Bot. 88: 258–269. &
- 1992. Outbreeding depression in a selfing annual. Evolution 46: 837–841.
- 2001. Evidence for local outbreeding depression in the Mediterranean island endemic Anchusa crispa Viv. (Boraginaceae). Heredity 87: 190–197. , &
- 2002. Functional coadaptation between cytochrome c and cytochrome c oxidase within allopatric populations of a marine copepod. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99: 12955–12958. &
- 1965. Documented plant chromosome numbers 65:1. SIDA 2: 163–165.
- SAS Institute. 2000. SAS/STAT, Version 8.0. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- 1996. Inbreeding depression and outbreeding depression in plants. Heredity 77: 461–468. &
- 1990. The effect of distance from the parental site on offspring performance and inbreeding depression in Impatiens capensis: a test of the local adaptation hypothesis. Evolution 44: 2022–2030. &
- 2003. Advances in the study of polyploidy since Plant Speciation. New Phytol. 161: 173–191. &
- 2001. Cross-fertility in two tropical tree species: evidence of inbreeding depression within populations and genetic divergence among populations. Am. J. Bot. 88: 1041–1051.
- 1942. Studies on the chromosome numbers in Campanulaceae. I. Campanuloideae – Campanuleae. Cytologia 12: 418–434.
- 2001. Asymmetrical crossing barriers in angiosperms. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 861–867. , &
- 2000. Dominance, epistasis and the genetics of post-zygotic isolation. Genetics 154: 1663–1679. &
- 2000. Outbreeding depression varies among cohorts of Ipomopsis aggregata planted in nature. Evolution 54: 485–491. , &
- 1991. A model for divergent, allopatric speciation of polyploid pteridophytes resulting from silencing of duplicate-gene expression. Am. Nat. 137: 515–526. &
- 2001. Viability of cytochrome C genotypes depends on cytoplasmic backgrounds in Tigriopus californicus. Evolution 55: 1592–1599. &
- 1943. Isolation by distance. Genetics 28: 114–138.