Covariation between brain size and immunity in birds: implications for brain size evolution
Article first published online: 4 APR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 223–237, January 2005
How to Cite
Møller, A. P., Erritzøe, J. and Garamszegi, L. Z. (2005), Covariation between brain size and immunity in birds: implications for brain size evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 223–237. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00805.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2005
- Received 18 February 2004; revised and accepted 6 May 2004
- 2000. Impact of asymptomatic malaria parasitaemia on cognitive function and school achievement of schoolchildren in the Yemen Republic. Parasitology 121: 337–345. , , &
- Alberts, B., Lewis, J., Ratt, M., Roberts, K. & Watson, J.D. (eds) 1983. Molecular Biology of the Cell. Garland Publ., New York.
- 1989. Sex hormones and the course of parasitic infection. Parasitol. Today 4: 1891–1893. &
- 2001. Effects of experimental food restriction and body-mass changes on avian T-cell mediated immune response. Can. J. Zool. 79: 101–105. &
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1965. Splénologie. Gauthiers-Villars, Paris, France.
- 2002. Evolutionary Ecology of Birds. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1994. The immune system: our sixth sense. Immunologist 2: 8–15.
- 2003. Song as an honest signal of past developmental stress in the European starling (Sturnus vulgaris). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 1149–1156. , , &
- 1984. Population differences in complexity of a learned skill are correlated with the brain space involved. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 81: 6232–6234. , &
- 1996. Song and female choice: good genes and big brains? Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 358–360.
- 1977. Nutrition, Immunity, and Infection. Plenum Press, New York. &
- 1999. Molecular analysis of the phylogeny of 11 genera of the Corvidea. Ibis 141: 297–306. &
- 1988. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioural Sciences, 2nd edn. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- 1993. Relations between song repertoire size and the volume of brain nuclei related to song: comparative evolutionary analyses amongst oscine birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 254: 75–82. , , &
- 1981. Behavioral effects of lead and Toxocara canis in mice. Science 213: 1142–1144. , , , , , &
- 2002. Passive avoidance response in mice infected with Schistosoma mansoni. Physiol. Behav. 75: 449–454. , , &
- 1992. Parasites, bright males, and the immunocompetence handicap. Am. Nat. 139: 603–622. &
- 2002. Phylogenetic analysis and comparative data: a test and review of evidence. Am. Nat. 160: 712–726. , &
- 2004. Brain space for a learned task: strong intraspecific evidence for neural correlates of singing behavior in songbirds. Brain Res. Rev. 44: 187–193. &
- 2003. The evolution of immune defense and song complexity in birds. Evolution 57: 905–912. , &
- 1985. Nutrition and Immunity. Academic Press, Orlando, FL. , &
- 1983. Bursa of Fabricius. In: Avian Biology, Vol. 7 (D. S.Farner, J. R.King & K. C.Parkes, eds), pp. 443–500. Academic Press, New York.
- 1994. The bursa of Fabricius: The evolution of a discovery. Poult. Sci. 73: 979–983.
- 2001. Molecular evidence for phylogenetic relationships among buntings and American sparrows (Emberizidae). J. Avian Biol. 32: 95–101. , , &
- 1997. Behavioural defence. In: Host-Parasite Evolution: General Principles and Avian Models (D. H.Clayton & J.Moore, eds), pp. 59–77. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1994. The avian spleen: a neglected organ. Q. Rev. Biol. 69: 327–351.
- 1995. Parasites and the avian spleen: helminths. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 54: 87–106.
- 2002. Heavy schistosomiasis associated with poor short-term memory and slower reaction times in Tanzanian schoolchildren. Trop. Med. Int. Health 7: 104–117. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1995. Parasitic infection impairs spatial learning in mice. Anim. Behav. 50: 223–229. , &
- 1959. The effects of schistosomiasis on animal intelligence. Ann. Trop. Med. Parasitol. 53: 504–506. , &
- 1982. Parasitic diseases. In: Diseases in Cage and Aviary Birds (M. L.Petrak, ed.), pp. 535–598. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, PA.
- 1988. The effects of parasitic infection on cognitive performance. Parasitol. Today 4: 206–208.
- 1991. The effects of parasite infections on cognitive processes in children. Ann. Trop. Med. Parasitol. 85: 551–568. , &
- 1997. Taxonomy and phylogeny of reed warblers (genus Acrocephalus) based on mtDNA sequences and morphology. J. Ornithol. 138: 469–496. , , &
- 1993. Relationship between protein nutritional status and immunocompetence in northern bobwhite chicks. Auk 110: 503–510. , &
- 1997. Immune defence, extra-pair paternity, and sexual selection in birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 561–566.
- 1998. Evidence of larger impact of parasites on hosts in the tropics: investment in immune function within and outside the tropics. Oikos 82: 265–270.
- 1996. Parasite virulence and host immune defense: host immune response is related to nest re-use in birds. Evolution 50: 2066–2072. &
- 1998. Host immune defence and migration in birds. Evol. Ecol. 12: 945–953. &
- 2000. Predation against birds with low immunocompetence. Oecologia 122: 500–504. &
- 2002. Coevolution of host immune defence and parasite-mediated mortality: relative spleen size and mortality in altricial birds. Oikos 99: 95–100. &
- 1994. Parasites, immunology of hosts, and host sexual selection. J. Parasitol. 80: 850–858. &
- 1998a. Host immune function and sexual selection in birds. J. Evol. Biol. 11: 703–719. , &
- 1998b. Sexual dimorphism in immune defense. Am. Nat. 152: 605–619. , &
- 1998c. Condition, disease and immune defence. Oikos 83: 301–306. , , &
- 2000. The evolution of song repertoires and immune defence in birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 165–167. , &
- 2003. Seasonal changes in immune response and parasite impact on hosts. Am. Nat. 161: 657–671. , &
- 1998. Sex-biased parasitism of avian hosts: relations to blood parasite taxon and mating system. Oikos 82: 303–312. , , &
- 1983. Studies on the pathology of an avian trypanosome (T. bouffardi) infection in experimentally infected canaries. Parasitology 87: 49–54. , &
- 2002. Parasites as a viability cost of sexual selection in natural populations of mammals. Science 297: 2015–2018. &
- 2000. Nematode parasite species richness and the evolution of spleen size in birds. Can. J. Zool. 78: 1356–1360. &
- National Research Council 1992. Biologic Markers in Immunotoxicology. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 1992. Moderate to heavy infections of Trichuris trichiura affect cognitive function in Jamaican school children. Parasitology 104: 539–547. , , , , &
- 1981. Brain space for a learned task. Brain Res. 213: 99–109. , &
- 1986. Development and seasonal changes in canary song and their relation to changes in the anatomy of song control nuclei. Behav. Neural Biol. 46: 445–471. , &
- 1966. Effect of Toxocara canis infection on the ability of white rats to solve maze problems. Exp. Parasitol. 19: 77–84. &
- 1997. Inferring evolutionary processes from phylogenies. Zool. Scripta 26: 331–348.
- 1999. Inferring the historical patterns of biological evolution. Nature 401: 877–884.
- 1996. Sexual inequalities in helminth infections: a cost of being a male? Am. Nat. 147: 287–295.
- 1991. On the low heritability of life history traits. Evolution 45: 853–861. &
- 1995. Comparative analysis by independent contrasts (CAIC): an Apple Macintosh application for analysing comparative data. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 11: 247–251. &
- 1981. Lymphatic system. In: Form and Function in Birds, Vol. 2 (A. S.King & J.McLelland, eds), pp. 341–384. Academic Press, London.
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nestling barn swallows in relation to brood size and parental effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 1999. Evidence for an association between hookworm infection and cognitive function in Indonesian school children. Trop. Med. Int. Health. 4: 322–334. , , , , , &
- 1997. Male biases in parasitism of mammals: effects of study type, host age, and parasite taxon. Oikos 78: 67–74. &
- 1992. DNA-DNA hybridization evidence of phylogenetic relationships among major lineages of Parus. Auk 109: 173–185. , , , , &
- 1999. Mass dynamics of the spleen and other organs in geese: measures of immune relationships to helminths? Can. J. Zool. 77: 351–359. , &
- 1990. Phylogeny and Classification of Birds: a Study in Molecular Evolution. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT. &
- 2001. Effect of iron supplementation and anthelmintic treatment on motor and language development of preschool children in Zanzibar: double blind, placebo controlled study. Br. Med. J. 323: 1389–1393. , , , , , , &
- 1960. The effect of acute schistosomiasis upon learning in rats under different levels of motivation. Ann. Trop. Med. Parasitol. 54: 487–492. , &
- 1996. Evolutionary changes in a song control area of the brain (HVC) are associated with evolutionary changes in song repertoire among European warblers (Sylviidae). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 607–610. , , , &
- Toivanen, P. & Toivanen, A. (eds) 1987. Avian Immunology. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 1994. Adaptive or non-adaptive immunosuppression by sex hormones? Am. Nat. 143: 936–938. &
- 1975. Mate selection – a selection for a handicap. J. Theor. Biol. 53: 205–214.
- 1997. The Handicap Principle. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1990. Reproductive strategies and sex differences in disease susceptibility: an evolutionary viewpoint. Parasitol. Today 6: 231–233.
- 1996. Sex differences in parasite infections: patterns and processes. Int. J. Parasitol. 26: 1009–1023. &