Sperm competition and male ejaculate investment in Nauphoeta cinerea: effects of social environment during development
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 474–480, March 2005
How to Cite
Harris, W. E. and Moore, P. J. (2005), Sperm competition and male ejaculate investment in Nauphoeta cinerea: effects of social environment during development. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 474–480. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00816.x
- Issue online: 12 OCT 2004
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2004
- Received 8 April 2004; revised 5 July 2004; accepted 12 July 2004
- 1998. Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection. Academic Press, London. &
- 2003. Testis size increases with colony size in cliff swallows. Behav. Ecol. 14: 569–575. &
- 2002. Sperm competition and the maintenance of polymorphism. Heredity 88: 148–153.
- 1979. A genetic determination of insemination frequency and sperm precedence in the German cockroach. Entom. Exp. Appl. 26: 259–266.
- 1995. Effects of risks of sperm competition on the numbers of eupyrene and apyrene sperm ejaculated by the male moth Plodia interpunctella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 36: 261–268. &
- 1982. Ejaculate cost and male choice. Am. Nat. 119: 601–610.
- 1978. Reproductive strategies in the butterflies: I. Mating frequency, plugging, and egg number. J. Kans. Ent. Soc. 51: 666–697. &
- 1994. Associations between body size, mating pattern, testis size and sperm lengths across butterflies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 258: 247–254.
- 1995. Continuous variation in reproductive strategy as an adaptive response to population-density in the moth Plodia interpunctella. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 261: 25–30.
- 2003. Male accessory gland secretions: modulators of female reproductive physiology and behavior. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 48: 163–184.
- 2002. A state-based model of sperm allocation in a group-breeding salamander. Behav. Ecol. 13: 705–712. &
- 1991. Effects of spermatophore size on female remating in the armyworm, Pseualetia separata, with reference to larval crowding. J. Ethol. 9: 47–50. &
- 1992. Variation in spermatophore size in the armyworm, Pseudaletia separata (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae) in relation to rearing density. Appl. Ent. Zool. 27: 39–45. &
- 1997. Sperm competition in bats. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 385–392.
- 2001. Experimental evidence for testis size evolution via sperm competition. Ecol. Letters 4: 10–13. &
- 1994. Polyandrous female butterflies forage for matings. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 35: 385–388. &
- 1997. Intrasexual selection and testis size in strepsirhine primates. Behav. Ecol. 8: 10–19.
- 2003. Competition, fluctuating asymmetry and sperm transfer in male gryllid crickets (Gryllus bimaculatus and Gryllodes sigillatus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 53: 190–197. &
- 2004. Sexual conflict and cooperation under naturally occurring male enforced monogamy. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 443–451. , &
- 1988. Female preferences, male social status, and sexual selection in Nauphoeta cinerea. Anim. Behav. 36: 303–305.
- 2003. Developmental flexibility and the effect of social environment on fertility and fecundity in parthenogenetic reproduction. Evol. Dev. 5: 163–168. &
- 2001. Sexual conflict and the evolution of female mate choice and male social dominance. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 517–523. , , &
- 2003. Females avoid manipulative males and live longer. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 523–530. , &
- 2004. Genetic constraints on post-copulatory sexual selection: trade-offs among ejaculate characteristics. Evolution 58: 1773–1780. , , , &
- 1989. Effects of spermatophores on male and female reproductive success. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 25: 237–246.
- 1990a. Sperm competition games: raffles and roles. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 242: 120–126.
- 1990b. Sperm competition games: sneaks and extra-pair copulations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 242: 127–133.
- 1998. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculates: towards a theory base. In: Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection (T. R.Birkhead & A. P.Møller, eds), pp. 3–54. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1996. Sperm competition games: individual assessment of sperm competition intensity by group spawners. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1291–1297. , , &
- 1997. Sperm competition games: a prospective analysis of risk assessment. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 1793–1802. , , &
- 2002. Overt and covert competition in a promiscuous mammal: the importance of weaponry and testes size to male reproductive success. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 633–640. , , , &
- 1964. Control of reproduction in female cockroaches with special reference to Nauphoeta cinerea– I. First pre-oviposition period. J. Insect Physiol. 10: 915–945.
- 2003. Increased sperm allocation delays body growth in a protandrous simultaneous hermaphrodite. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 78: 149–154. &
- 2003. Mating Systems and Strategies. Princeton University Press, Princeton. &
- 2001. Sperm Competition and its Evolutionary Consequences in the Insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1997. Ejaculate expenditure by male bushcrickets decreases with sperm competition intensity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 1203–1208. &
- 1997. Sperm competition in fishes: the evolution of testis size and ejaculate characteristics. Am. Nat. 149: 933–954. , , &
- 2004. Social group size, potential sperm competition and reproductive investment in a hermaphroditic leech, Helobdella papillornata (Euhirudinea: Glossiphoniidae). J. Evol. Biol. 17: 574–580. , &
- 1992. Production of sperm reduces nematode life-span. Nature 360: 456–458.
- 2002. Sperm competition, male prudence and sperm-limited females. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 313–320. , &
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1985. Sperm mixing in the cockroach Diploptera punctata. Evolution 39: 159–164.