Behavioural differences between individuals and two populations of stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 464–473, March 2005
How to Cite
Bell, A.M. (2005), Behavioural differences between individuals and two populations of stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 464–473. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00817.x
- Issue published online: 12 OCT 2004
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2004
- Received 15 March 2004; revised 1 July 2004; accepted 12 July 2004
- 1994. Evolution of aggressive behaviour in the threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A.Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 345–379. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1994. The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2004. The development of behavioural differences between individuals and populations of stickleback. Anim. Behav., in press. &
- 1996. Developmental integration and the evolution of pleiotropy. Am. Zool. 36: 44–50.
- 1987. Pattern and adaptation in individual behavioral differences. In: Perspectives in Ethology (P.P.G.Bateson & P.H.Klopfer, eds), pp. 1–47. Plenum Press, New York. &
- 1998. Shyness and boldness in pumpkinseed sunfish: Individual differences are context-specific. Anim. Behav. 56: 927–936. &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Essex, England. &
- 1999. Geographic Variation in Behavior: Perspectives on Evolutionary Mechanisms. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1984. Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distributions and Bayesian restoration of images. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell 6: 721–741. &
- 2001. From mice to men: what can we learn about personality from animal research? Psychol. Bull. 127: 45–86.
- 2000. Crickets with extravagant mating songs compensate for predation risk with extra caution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267: 671–675.
- 1989. Genetically-based variation between two spider populations in foraging behavior. Oecologia 80: 533–539. &
- 1976. The relationship between anti-predator behaviour and aggression among conspecifics in the three-spined stickleback. Anim. Behav. 24: 245–260.
- 1999. Adaptation, exaptation, and constraint: a hormonal perspective. Am. Nat. 154: S4–S25. &
- 1993. Individual differences and alternative behaviours. In: Behaviour of Teleost Fishes, 2nd edn (T.J.Pitcher, ed.), pp. 441–477. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2000. Spatial and temporal ecology of native and introduced fish larvae in lower Putah Creek, California. Environ. Biol. Fishes 58: 75–87. &
- 2001. Effects of flow regime on fish assemblages in a regulated California stream. Ecol. Appl. 11: 530–539. &
- Noldus Technology, N.I. 1991. The Observer, Base Package for DOS, Version 2.01. Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- 1989. Responses to selection on flight behavior in a migratory population of milkweed bug Oncopeltus-fasciatus. Evolution 43: 1805–1808. &
- 1968. The Logic of Scientific Discovery. Hutchinson, London.
- 1994. Predators and morphological evolution in threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A.Bell & S.A.Foster, eds), pp. 240–273. Oxford, Oxford.
- 2000. Predator handling failures of lateral plate morphs in Gasterosteus aculeatus: Functional implications for the ancestral plate condition. Behaviour 137: 1081–1096.
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1993. A test for correlations among fitness-linked behavioural traits in the spider Agelenopsis aperta (Araneae, Agelenidae). Anim. Behav. 46: 669–675. &
- 1996. The evolution of genetic correlations: An analysis of patterns. Evolution 50: 1392–1403.
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 1992. Variance Components. J Wiley and Sons, Inc, New York. , &
- 2003. Behavioral correlations across situations and the evolution of antipredator behaviour in a sunfish-salamander system. Anim. Behav. 65: 29–44. , &
- 2004. Behavioral syndromes: an integrative overview. Q. Rev. Biol. 79: 241–277. , , &
- 1991. Why evolutionary issues are reviving interest in proximate behavioral mechanisms. Am. Zool. 31: 338–348.
- 1987. Paternal care and the development of adaptive variation in anti-predator responses in sticklebacks. Anim. Behav. 35: 1570–1572. &
- 1988. Additional information on the relationship between intraspecific aggression and antipredator behaviour in the threespined stickleback. Ethology 78: 219–222. &
- 1995. A Manual for Use of MTGSAM: A Set of Fortran Programs to Apply Gibbs Sampling to Animal Models for Variance Component Estimation. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. [WWW document].URLhttp://www.aipl.arsusda.gov/curtvt/mtgsam.html &
- 1994. Consistent individual differences in early exploratory behaviour of male great tits. Anim. Behav. 48: 1113–1121. , &
- 1992. How small are the smallest selectable domains of form? Genetics 130: 345–353.
- 1998. Adaptive individual differences within single populations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 353: 199–205.
- 1994. Shyness and boldness in humans and other animals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 442–446. , , &
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th edn. Prentice-Hall, Inc, Upper Saddle River.