Mechanisms of constraints: the contributions of selection and genetic variance to the maintenance of cotyledon number in wild radish
Article first published online: 4 APR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 238–242, January 2005
How to Cite
Conner, J. K. and Agrawal, A. A. (2005), Mechanisms of constraints: the contributions of selection and genetic variance to the maintenance of cotyledon number in wild radish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 238–242. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00821.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2005
- Received 14 June 2004; revised 6 July 2004; accepted 9 July 2004
- 2002. In vitro phenotypic variation in larch cotyledon number. Int. J. Plant. Sci. 163: 301–307.
- 1998. Induced responses to herbivory and increased plant performance. Science 279: 1201–1202.
- 1999. Induced responses to herbivory in wild radish: effects on several herbivores and plant fitness. Ecology 80: 1713–1723.
- 2000. Specificity of induced resistance in wild radish: causes and consequences for two specialist and two generalist caterpillars. Oikos 89: 493–500.
- 2001. Transgenerational consequences of plant responses to herbivory: an adaptive maternal effect? Am. Nat. 157: 555–569.
- 1999. Costs of induced responses and tolerance to herbivory in male and female fitness components of wild radish. Evolution 53: 1093–1104. , &
- 2002. Ecological genetics of an induced plant defense against herbivores: additive genetic variance and costs of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 56: 2206–2213. , , &
- 1940. Cotyledon numbers in conifers. Trans. Illinois State Acad. Sci. 33: 58–62. &
- 2003. Artificial selection: a powerful tool for ecologists. Ecology 84: 1650–1660.
- 1993. Patterns of phenotypic and genetic correlations among morphological and life history traits in wild radish, Raphanus raphanistrum. Evolution 47: 704–711. &
- 1997. Mutations of Arabidopsis thaliana that transform leaves into cotyledons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 94: 10209–10214. &
- 19091910. The Mutation Theory: Experiments and Observations on the Origin of Species in the Vegetable Kingdom. Open Court Publishing Co., Chicago.
- 1967. Selection for pleiocotyly in alfalfa. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 9: 658.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Harlow, UK. &
- 1997. Developmental basis of homeosis in precociously germinating Brassica napus embryos: phase change at the shoot apex. Development. 124: 1149–1157.
- 1910. Abnormalities in Oenothera. Missouri Botanical Garden Ann. Rep. 21: 175–187.
- 2001. Three cotyledons on Schinziophyton rautanenii seedlings. S. Afr. J. Bot. 67: 69–70.
- 1980. Comparative anatomy of the normal and tricotylous seedlings in Brassica oleracea Var Capitata. Curr. Sci. 49: 277–278. &
- 1964. Factors affecting the frequency of tricotyly inAntirrhinum majus. Nature 201: 424.
- 1949. Changes accompanying selection for pleiocotyly. Heredity 3: 382.
- 1954. Pleiocotyly and differentiation within angiosperms. Phytomorphology 4: 140–152.
- 1961. Seedling morphology in applied genetics and plant breeding. Bot. Rev. 27: 382–421.
- 1962. Selection for pleiocotyly and correlated responses in inbred lines of cultivated tomatoes. Heredity 17: 602.
- 1944. Tricotyledony. Nature 153: 13–14.
- 2000. Heritable variation in a family-diagnostic trait. Evolution 54: 1433–1438. &
- 1967. On structure and origin of seedling of Psittacanthus schiedeanus (Loranthaceae). Can. J. Bot. 45: 1497–1560.
- 1996. SAS System for Mixed Models. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC. , , &
- 1989. The Plant Book. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1986. Atypical seedlings of Populus L: their genetic significance and value in breeding. Silvae Genet. 35: 122–124. &
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 3–35.
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- SAS. 2002. JMP. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC.
- 1997. In vitro micropropagation of an endemic fruit tree Syzygium alternifolium (Wight) walp. Plant Cell Rep. 16: 325–328. , &
- 1994. The evolutionary links between fixed and variable traits. Acta Palaeontol. Pol. 38: 215–232.
- 1957. The Strategy of the Genes. Allen and Unwin, London.
- 1944. Morphological observations on the tomato plant. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 71: 77–92.