Maternal genetic effects set the potential for evolution in a free-living vertebrate population
Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 405–414, March 2005
How to Cite
Wilson, A. J., Coltman, D. W., Pemberton, J. M., Overall, A. D. J., Byrne, K. A. and Kruuk, L. E. B. (2005), Maternal genetic effects set the potential for evolution in a free-living vertebrate population. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 405–414. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00824.x
- Issue online: 27 OCT 2004
- Version of Record online: 27 OCT 2004
- Received 25 May 2004; revised 26 July 2004; accepted 27 July 2004
- 2001. Estimates of genetic parameters for direct and maternal effects on birth weight of local sheep in United Arab Emirates. Small Ruminant Res. 39: 219–224.
- 1998. Bayesian inference of variance components for litter size in Rasa Aragonesa sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 76: 23–28. , , &
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42: 958–968.
- 2001. Simulation analysis to test the influence of model adequacy and data structure on the estimation of genetic parameters for traits with direct and maternal effects. Gen. Sel. Evol. 33: 369–395. , , , , , &
- 2002. Genetic and environmental effects on lambing and neonatal behaviour of Dormer and SA Mutton Merino lambs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 78: 183–193. , , &
- 1992. Early development and population fluctuations in Soay sheep. J. Anim. Ecol. 61: 381–396. , , &
- 1996. Population fluctuations, reproductive costs and life history tactics in female Soay sheep. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 675–689. , , , , &
- Clutton-Brock, T.H. & Pemberton, J.M. (eds) 2004. Soay sheep dynamics and selection in an island population. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 383.
- 1999a. Density-dependent variation in lifetime breeding success and natural and sexual selection in Soay rams. Am. Nat. 154: 730–746. , , , , , &
- 1999b. Male reproductive success in a promiscuous mammal: behavioural estimates compared with genetic paternity. Mol. Ecol. 8: 1199–1209. , , , , &
- 2001. Positive genetic correlation between parasite resistance and body size in a free-living ungulate population. Evolution 55: 2116–2125. , , , &
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426: 655–658. , , , , &
- 1950. Heritability of threshold characters. Genetics 35: 212. &
- 2001. Estimation of additive and non-additive genetic parameters for reproduction, growth and survival traits in crosses between the Moroccan D'man and Timahdite sheep breeds. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118: 341–353. &
- 2002. ASReml User Guide Release 1.0. VSN International Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , , &
- 2002. Extra pair paternity in birds: a review of interspecific variation and adaptive function. Mol. Ecol. 11: 2195–2212. , &
- 2003. Genetic parameter estimates for birth weight, weaning weight and average daily gain in pure and crossbred sheep in Ethiopia. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 120: 29–38. , &
- 2002. The genetics of maternal care: direct and indirect genetic effects on phenotype in the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus. P.N.A.S. 99: 6828–6832. &
- 1989. The evolution of maternal characters. Evolution 43: 485–503. &
- 2000. Heritability of fitness in a wild mammal population. P.N.A.S. 97: 698–703. , , , , &
- 2001. Phenotypic selection on a heritable size trait revisited. Am. Nat. 158: 557–571. , &
- 2002. Antler size in red deer: heritability and selection but no evolution. Evolution 56: 1683–1695. , , , , &
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philos. T. Roy. Soc. B. 359: 873–890.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland. &
- 2003. The impact of data structure on genetic (co)variance components of early growth in sheep, estimated using an animal model with maternal effects. J. Anim. Sci. 81: 101–108. &
- 1993. Estimates of variances due to direct and maternal effects for growth traits of Romanov sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 71: 845–849. , &
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Mol. Ecol. 7: 639–655. , , &
- 1997. Genetic analysis of discrete reproductive traits in sheep using linear and non-linear models: I. Estimation of genetic parameters. J. Anim. Sci. 75: 76–87. , , , &
- 2002. Maternal effects and the potential for evolution in a natural population of animals. Evolution 56: 846–851. , , &
- 2000. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability in nature. Am. Nat. 155: 301–310. &
- 2001. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies of natural populations. Genetica 112: 119–222. , &
- 1992. Variance components due to direct and maternal effects for growth traits of Australian beef cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 31: 179–204.
- 1999. Repeated selection of morphometric traits in the Soay sheep on St Kilda. J. Anim. Ecol. 68: 472–488. , , , &
- 2000. Estimating variance components and heritabilities in the wild: a case study using the ‘animal model’ approach. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 804–813. , , &
- Mousseau, T.A. & Fox, C.W. (eds) 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 375.
- 1999. Molecular analysis of a promiscuous, fluctuating mating system. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68: 289–301. , , &
- 1999. Heritability of body mass varies with age and season in wild bighorn sheep. Heredity 83(Pt 5): 526–532. , &
- 2002. Maternal effects and the evolution of behavioral and morphological characters: a literature review indicates the importance of extended maternal care. J. Hered. 93: 400–405.
- 1995. The estimation of genetic correlations from phenotypic correlations: a test of Cheverud's conjecture. Heredity 74: 481–490.
- 1994. Estimation of variance components for lamb weights in three sheep populations. J. Anim. Sci. 72: 1184–1190. &
- 1972. The role of maternal effects in animal breeding: III. Biometrical aspects of maternal effects in animals. J. Anim. Sci. 35: 1288–1293.
- 2003a. Selective and genetic constraints on the evolution of body size in a stream-dwelling salmonid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 584–594. , &
- 2003b. Marker assisted estimation of quantitative genetic parameters in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Genet. Res. 81: 145–156. , , , &
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 64–69. , , , &
- 2003. Genetic architecture and evolutionary constraint when the environment contains genes. P.N.A.S. 100: 4655–4660.