ADH enzyme activity and Adh gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster lines differentially selected for increased alcohol tolerance
Article first published online: 13 JUL 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 811–819, July 2005
How to Cite
MALHERBE, Y., KAMPING, A., VAN DELDEN, W. and VAN DE ZANDE, L. (2005), ADH enzyme activity and Adh gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster lines differentially selected for increased alcohol tolerance. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 811–819. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00877.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 13 JUL 2005
- Received 22 September 2004; revised 16 November 2004; accepted 21 November 2004
- 1985. Variation in alcohol dehydrogenase activity in vitro in flies from natural populations of D. melanogaster. Genetica 67: 13–19. &
- 1975. Genetical variation for enzyme activity in a population of Drosophila melanogaster. II. Aspects of the inheritance of alcohol dehydrogenase activity in AdhSS flies. Heredity 35: 115–119. &
- 1978. Genetical variation for enzyme activity in a population of Drosophila melanogaster. IV. Analysis of alcohol dehydrogenase activity in chromosome substitution lines. Heredity 40: 51–57. &
- 1983. The messenger RNA for alcohol dehydrogenase in Drosophila melanogaster differs in its 5′ end in different developmental stages. Cell 33: 125–133. , , &
- 1997. Introductory remarks: environmental stress, adaptation and evolution. In: Environmental Stress, Adaptation and Evolution (R.Bijlsma & V.Loeschcke, eds), pp. XIII–XVII. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel. &
- 1979. Viability in Drosophila melanogaster in relation to age and ADH activity of eggs transferred to ethanol food. Heredity 42: 79–89.
- 1981. Sexually dimorphic response to host habitat toxicity in Drosophila parasitic waSPS. Evolution 35: 395–399. &
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72: 248–254.
- 2004. Experimental reduction of codon bias in the Drosophila alcohol dehydrogenase gene results in decreased ethanol tolerance of adult flies. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 779–785.
- 1988. The Drosophila alcohol dehydrogenase gene-enzyme system. Adv. Genet. 25: 39–197.
- 1991. Gene expression, adaptation and evolution in higher organisms: Evidence from studies of Drosophila alcohol dehydrogenase. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 99B: 723–730.
- 1991. Use of in vitro mutagenesis to analyze the molecular basis of the difference in Adh Expression associated with the allozyme polymorphism in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 129: 481–488. &
- 1983. Adaptation to alcoholic fermentation in Drosophila species: relationship between alcohol tolerance and larval habitat. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 74: 283–288. &
- 1976. Biological role of Alcohol Dehydrogenase in the tolerance of Drosophila melanogaster to aliphatic alcohols: utilization of an Adh-null mutant. Biochem. Genet. 14: 989–997. , , &
- 1999. Analysis of selection on enzyme polymorphisms. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 30: 301–326.
- 2001. Direct and correlated responses to selection for larval ethanol tolerance in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 296–309.
- 1993. The biological basis of ethanol tolerance in Drosophila. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 105: 203–229. , &
- 1981. Genetic variation at the alcohol dehydrogenase locus in Drosophila melanogaster in relation to environmental variation: ethanol levels in breeding sites and allozyme frequencies. Oecologia 51: 191–198. , &
- 1993. Evolutionary genetics of the Drosophila alcohol dehydrogenase gene-enzyme system. Genetica 92: 1–22.
- 1991. Evolutionary Genetics and Environmental Stress. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 175–216. , &
- 1997. Environmental stress and the expression of genetic variation. In: Environmental Stress, Adaptation and Evolution (R.Bijlsma & V.Loeschcke, eds), pp. 79–96. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel. , &
- 1987. Development of ethanol tolerance in relation to the alcohol dehydrogenase locus in Drosophila melanogaster. II. The influence of phenotypic adaptation and maternal effect on survival on alcohol supplemented media. Heredity 58: 239–249. &
- 1991. Associations between DNA sequence variation and variation in expression of the Adh gene in natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 129: 489–499. , &
- 1980. Quantitative genetic variation of enzyme activity in natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77: 1073–1077. , , , &
- 1989. Temporal and spatial utilization of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene promoters during the development of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 134: 430–437. &
- 1996. Selection for heat-resistance in larval and in adult Drosophila buzzatii: comparing direct and indirect responses. Evolution 50: 2354–2359. &
- 1988. The epistasis of Adh and αGpdh allozymes and variation in the ethanol tolerance of Drosophila melanogaster larvae. Genet. Res. Camb. 52: 179–184. &
- 1982. Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism of Drosophila melanogaster: aspects of alcohol and temperature variation in the larval environment. Austr. J. Biol. Sci. 35: 85–93. &
- 1994. Alcohol tolerance, ADH activity, and ecological niches of Drosophila species. Evolution 48: 746–757. , , , &
- 2001. Alcohol Dehydrogenase and Alcohol Tolerance in Drosophila, PhD dissertation. University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
- 2002. Isolation and characterization of the genomic region from Drosophila kuntzei containing the Adh and Adhr genes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19: 1026–1040. , &
- 1991. Polymorphism at the Adh and αGpdh loci in Drosophila melanogaster: effects of rearing temperature on developmental rate, body weight, and some biochemical parameters. Heredity 67: 103–115. , , &
- 2000. Deletion of a conserved regulatory element in the DrosophilaAdh gene leads to increased alcohol dehydrogenase activity but also delays development. Genetics 156: 219–227. , , , &
- 1985. A simple gene with a complex pattern of transcription: the alcohol dehydrogenase gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 50: 505–514. &
- 1986. The expression of the gene coding for alcohol dehydrogenase during the development of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev. Biol. 114: 194–207. , &
- 1996. Molecular dissection of a major gene effect on a quantitative trait: The level of alcohol dehydrogenase expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 144: 1559–1564. &
- 1982. The alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in Drosophila melanogaster. Selection at an enzyme locus. Evol. Biol. 15: 187–222.
- 1984. The alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in Drosophila melanogaster, facts and problems. In: Population Biology and Evolution (K.Wöhrmann & V.Loeschcke, eds), pp. 127–142. Springer, Berlin.
- 1997. Worldwide latitudinal clines for the alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in Drosophila melanogaster: What is the unit of selection? In: Environmental Stress, Adaptation and Evolution (R.Bijlsma & V.Loeschcke, eds), pp. 97–115. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel. &
- 1997) Latitudinal Variation in Wild Population of Drosophila melanogaster, PhD dissertation. University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
- 1998. A KP element inserted between the two promoters of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene of Drosophila melanogaster differentially affects expression in larvae and adults. Biochem. Genet. 36: 363–379. , &