The heritability of inducible defenses in tadpoles
Article first published online: 13 JUL 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 856–866, July 2005
How to Cite
RELYEA, R. A. (2005), The heritability of inducible defenses in tadpoles. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 856–866. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00882.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 13 JUL 2005
- Received 11 August 2004; revised 22 November 2004; accepted 3 December 2004
- 2002. Ecological genetics of an induced plant defense against herbivores: additive genetic variance and costs of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 56: 2206–2213. , , &
- 1987. The heritable basis of variation in larval developmental patterns within populations of wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Evolution 41: 1088–1097.
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genet. 13: 115–155.
- 1995. Quantitative genetics of bryozoan phenotypic evolution. III. Phenotypic plasticity and the maintenance of genetic variation. Evolution 49: 290–296. , &
- 1941. Experimental Studies on the Nature of Plant Species. I. The Effect of Varied Environments on Western North American Plants. Carnegie Institute of Washington Publication, no. 520, Washington, DC. , &
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. Am. Nat. 147: 445–465. &
- 1988. Evaluating a hypothesis about heterochrony: larval life-history traits and juvenile hind-limb morphology in Hyla crucifer. Evolution 42: 68–78. , &
- 1952. The problem of environment and selection. Am. Nat. 86: 293–298.
- 2003. Quantitative genetics of plant tolerance and resistance against natural enemies of two natural populations of Datura stramonium. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5: 1049–1065. , &
- 1993. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. V. Evolution of reaction norm shape. J. Evol. Biol. 6: 31–48. &
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16: 183–190.
- 1990. The ecology and evolution of inducible defenses. Q. Rev. Biol. 65: 323–340.
- 1998. Genetic variation and polymorphism in the inducible spines of a marine bryozoan. Evolution 52: 80–86.
- 2000. Defoliation patterns and genetics of insect resistance in cottonwoods. Can. J. For. Res. 30: 85–90. &
- 2002. Genetic resistance of Eucalyptus globulus to autumn gum moth defoliation and the role of cuticular waxes. Can. J. For. Res. 32: 1961–1969. , , &
- 1997. Induced Responses to Herbivory. University Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. &
- 2002. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporaria populations. Evolution 56: 617–627. , &
- 1996. Costs and benefits of a predator-induced polyphenism in the gray treefrog Hyla chrysoscelis. Evolution 50: 583–593. &
- 1988. Genetic variation for larval anuran (Scaphiopus couchii) developmental time in an uncertain environment. Evolution 42: 763–773.
- 1993. The genetic basis for variation in the concentration of phenolic glycosides in Salix sericea: Clonal variation and sex-based differences. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 21: 535–542. , &
- 2003. Genetic and maternal effect influences on viability of common frog tadpoles under different environmental conditions. Heredity 91: 117–124. , &
- 1991. The evolutionary ecology of an antipredator reaction norm: Daphnia pulex and Chaoborus americanus. Evolution 45: 1665–1674. &
- 2001. Phenotypic Plasticity: Beyond Nature and Nurture. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 1991. On low heritability of life-history traits. Evolution 454: 853–861. &
- 2000. Trait-mediated effects in larval anurans: reversing competition with the threat of predation. Ecology 81: 2278–2289.
- 2001a. Morphological and behavioral plasticity of larval anurans in response to different predators. Ecology 82: 523–540.
- 2001b. The relationship between predation risk and anti-predator responses in larval anurans. Ecology 82: 541–554.
- 2002a. Competitor-induced plasticity in tadpoles: consequences, cues, and connections to predator-induced plasticity. Ecol. Monogr. 72: 523–540.
- 2002b. Costs of phenotypic plasticity. Am. Nat. 159: 272–282.
- 2002c. Local population differences in phenotypic plasticity: predator-induced changes in wood frog tadpoles. Ecol. Monogr. 72: 77–93.
- 2002d. The many faces of predation: how selection, induction, and thinning combine to alter prey phenotypes. Ecology 83: 1953–1964.
- 2003a. How prey respond to combined predators: a review and an empirical test. Ecology 84: 1827–1839.
- 2003b. Predators come and predators go: the reversibility of predator-induced traits. Ecology 84: 1840–1848.
- 2004. Fine-tuned phenotypes: tadpole plasticity under 16 combinations of predators and competitors. Ecology 85: 172–179.
- 2004. Having the guts to compete: how intestinal plasticity explains costs of inducible defenses. Ecol. Lett. 7: 869–875. &
- 2003. The impact of larval predators and competitors on the morphology and fitness of juvenile tree frogs. Oecologia 134: 596–604. &
- 1999. Quantifying the relation between predator-induced behavior and growth performance in larval anurans. Ecology 80: 2117–2124. &
- 2000. Morphological plasticity of four larval anurans distributed along an environmental gradient. Copeia 2000: 178–190. &
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York: 493 pp.
- 1987. Quantitative genetics and fitness: lessons from Drosophila. Heredity 58: 103–118. &
- 2001. Inter- and intraspecific trait compensation of defence mechanisms in freshwater snails. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. B 268: 1463–1468. &
- 1989. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. I. Heritability. J. Evol. Biol. 2: 95–107. &
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1994. Activity level and susceptibility of anuran larvae to predation. Anim. Behav. 47: 465–468.
- 1995. Phenotypic design, plasticity, and ecological performance in two tadpole species. Am. Nat. 145: 211–233. &
- 2003. Quantitative genetic analysis of larval life history traits in two alpine populations of Rana temporaria. Genetica 118: 1–10. &
- 1992. Predator-mediated plasticity of prey life-history and morphology: Chaoborus americanus predation on Daphnia pulex. Am. Nat. 139: 229–247.
- 1996. Evolution of a generalist genotype: multivariate analysis of adaptiveness of phenotypic plasticity. Am. Nat. 148: S108–S123. &
- 1991. The effects of phenotypic plasticity on genetic correlations. Trends Ecol. Evolution 6: 122–126. , &
- 2000. Behaviour plasticity without learning: phenotypic and genetic variation of naïve Daphnia in an ecological trade-off. Anim. Behav. 59: 929–941. &
- 1999. The Ecology and Evolution of Inducible Defenses. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. &
- 1987. A quantitative-genetic analysis of larval life-history traits in Hyla crucifer. Evolution 41: 145–156. , &
- 2002. A comparative test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: relationships between habitat and phenotype in anuran larvae. Am. Nat. 160: 87–102.
- 2002. Dosage response of an induced defense: how sensitive are tadpoles to predation risk? Ecology 83: 1580–1585. &
- 1998. Natural selection for phenotypic plasticity: predator-induced morphological responses in tadpoles. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 65: 301–328. &
- 1997. Natural selection for environmentally-induced phenotypes in tadpoles. Evolution 52: 1983–1992. , &
- 1984. Quantitative genetics of polyphagy in an insect herbivore. II. Genetic correlations in larval performance within and among host plants. Evolution 38: 896–905.
- 1985. Genotype-environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 502–522. &
- 1987. Evolution of genetic variability in a spatially heterogeneous environment: effects of genotype-environment interaction. Genet. Res. 49: 147–156. &
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity of Daphnia life history traits in response to predator kairomones: genetic variability and evolutionary potential. Hydrobiologia 360: 89–99. &
- 1996. Natural heritabilities: can they be reliably estimated in laboratory? Evolution 50: 2149–2157. &
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.