A test of quantitative genetic theory using Drosophila– effects of inbreeding and rate of inbreeding on heritabilities and variance components
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 763–770, July 2005
How to Cite
KRISTENSEN, T. N., SØRENSEN, A. C., SORENSEN, D., PEDERSEN, K. S., SØRENSEN, J. G. and LOESCHCKE, V. (2005), A test of quantitative genetic theory using Drosophila– effects of inbreeding and rate of inbreeding on heritabilities and variance components. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 763–770. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00883.x
- Issue online: 13 JUL 2005
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2005
- Received 6 September 2004; revised 23 November 2004; accepted 3 December 2004
- 1993. The effect of serial founder-flush cycles on quantitative genetic variation in the housefly. Heredity 70: 122–129. &
- 1995. An analysis of selectional response in relation to a population bottleneck. Evolution 49: 626–634. &
- 1996. Non-additive genetic structuring of morphometric variation in relation to a population bottleneck. Heredity 77: 168–176. &
- 1986. The effect of an experimental bottleneck upon quantitative genetic variation in the housefly. Genetics 114: 1191–1211. , &
- 1980. The Mathematical Theory of Quantitative Genetics. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18: 237–268. &
- 1957. An experimental check on quantitative genetical theory. I. Short-term responses to selection. J. Genet. 55: 131–151. , &
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper & Row, New York. &
- 2003. The influence of variable rates of inbreeding on fitness, environmental responsiveness, and evolutionary potential. Evolution 57: 1314–1324. , &
- 2002. The genetic architecture of Drosophila sensory bristle number. Genetics 162: 1655–1674. &
- 1989. Effect of rate of inbreeding on inbreeding depression in Drosophila melanogaster. Theor. Appl. Genet. 77: 123–127. , &
- 2003. Effects of intense versus diffuse population bottlenecks on microsatellite genetic diversity and evolutionary potential. Conserv. Genet. 4: 595–604. , , , , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Harlow. &
- 1995. The effect of inbreeding on the redistribution of genetic variance of fecundity and viability in Tribolium castaneum. Heredity 75: 376–381. , &
- 1999. The distribution of phenotypic variance with inbreeding. Evolution 53: 1143–1156. &
- 1993. Effects on heterozygosity and reproductive fitness of inbreeding with and without selection on fitness in Drosophila melanogaster. Theo. Appl. Genet. 86: 1023–1027. , &
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 1998. Comparison of breeding strategies for purging inbreeding depression via simulation. Conserv. Biol. 12: 856–864. , &
- 1974. Stabilizing selection in constant and fluctuating environments. Heredity 33: 293–302. &
- 1988. Epistasis and the effect of founder events on the additive genetic variance. Evolution 42: 441–454.
- 1994. Purging inbreeding depression and the probability of extinction – full sib mating. Heredity 73: 363–372.
- 1954. Genetic Homeostasis. Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh.
- 1973. Genetic differences between populations of Drosophila melanogaster for a quantitative trait. 2. wild and laboratory populations. Genet. Res. 22: 69–78. &
- 1989. Changes in the distribution of the genetic variance of a quantitative trait in small populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Sel. Evol. 21: 159–168. , &
- 1999. The role of epistasis in the increase in the additive genetic variance after population bottlenecks. Genet. Res. 73: 45–59. , &
- 2000. Epistasis and the conversion of non-additive genetic variance at population bottlenecks. Theor. Popul. Biol. 58: 49–59. , &
- 2002. The effect of epistasis on the excess of the additive and nonadditive variances after population bottlenecks. Evolution 56: 865–876. , &
- 2004. The genetic architecture of quantitative traits: lessons from Drosophila. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 14: 253–257.
- 1997. Fixation, segregation and linkage of allozyme loci in inbred families of the pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg): implications for the causes of inbreeding depression. Genetics 146: 321–334. &
- 2003. Inbreeding and extinction: effects of rate of inbreeding. Conserv. Genet. 4: 405–410. , , &
- 1952. The effect of inbreeding on the variation due to recessive genes. Genetics 37: 189–207.
- 1994. Decline in heterozygosity under full-sib and double first-cousin inbreeding in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 136: 1039–1049. , , &
- 2002. Likelihood, Bayesian, and MCMC Methods in Quantitative Genetics. Springer-Verlag, New York. &
- 1957. Genetic variance of random-inbred lines of Drosophila melanogaster in relation to coefficients of inbreeding. Genetics. 42: 121–136.
- 2004. Characterization of conditionally expressed mutants affecting age-specific survival in inbred lines of Drosophila melanogaster: lethal conditions and temperature sensitive periods. Genetics 167: 1241–1248. &
- 1999. Dynamics of inbreeding depression due to deleterious mutations in small populations: mutation parameters and inbreeding rate. Genet. Res. 74: 165–178. , , &
- 1999. The changes in genetic and environmental variance with inbreeding in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 152: 345–353. &