Genetic and environmental variation in the visual properties of bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei
Article first published online: 24 MAR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 516–523, May 2005
How to Cite
FULLER, R. C., CARLETON, K. L., FADOOL, J. M., SPADY, T. C. and TRAVIS, J. (2005), Genetic and environmental variation in the visual properties of bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 516–523. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00886.x
- Issue published online: 24 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 24 MAR 2005
- Received 10 September 2004; revised 25 November 2004; accepted 3 December 2004
- 2003. Ontogeny of ultraviolet-sensitive cones in the retina of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). J. Comp. Neurol. 461: 294–306. , , , , &
- 2001. Divergent sexual selection enhances reproductive isolation in sticklebacks. Nature 411: 944–948.
- 2002. How sensory drive can promote speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 571–577.
- 2001. Cone opsin genes of African cichlid fishes: tuning spectral sensitivity by differential gene expression. Mol. Biol. Evol. 18: 1540–1550. &
- 2003. Adaptive color vision in Pullosquilla litoralis (Stomatopoda, Lysiosquilloidea) associated with spectral and intensity changes in light environment. J. Exp. Biol. 206: 373–379. , &
- 1992. The color hexagon – a chromaticity diagram based on photoreceptor excitations as a generalized representation of color opponency. J. Comp. Physiol. A 170: 533–543.
- 1992. Opponent color coding is a universal strategy to evaluate the photoreceptor inputs in Hymenoptera. J. Comp. Physiol. A 170: 545–563. , , , &
- 2002. Tuning of photoreceptor function in three mantis shrimp species that inhabit a range of depths. II. Filter pigments. J. Comp. Physiol. A 188: 187–197. &
- 2001. Sensory adaptation – tunable colour vision in a mantis shrimp. Nature 411: 547–548. , &
- 2001. Visual pigments and optical habitats of surfperch (Embiotocidae) in the California kelp forest. J. Comp. Physiol. A 187: 875–889. &
- 2003. Identification of a unique transcript down-regulated in the retina of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) at smoltification. Comp. Biochem. Phys. A 136: 849–860. , , &
- 1991. Variation in the appearance of guppy color patterns to guppies and their predators under different visual conditions. Vision Res. 31: 587–608.
- 1992. Signals, signal conditions, and the direction of evolution. Am. Nat. 139: S125–S153.
- 1993. Some general-comments on the evolution and design of animal communication-systems. Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. B 340: 215–225.
- 1995. Geographic-variation in female preferences for male traits in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 49: 456–468. &
- 2001. Variation in response to artificial selection for light sensitivity in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Am. Nat. 158: 36–48. , , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Prentice Hall, Harlow, England. &
- 2000. The ontogeny of ultraviolet sensitivity, cone disappearance and regeneration in the sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka. J. Exp. Biol. 203: 1161–1172.
- 2001. Gradual and partial loss of corner cone-occupied area in the retina of rainbow trout. Vision Res. 41: 3073–3082.
- 2002. Lighting environment predicts the relative abundance of male colour morphs in bluefin killifish (Lucania goodei) populations. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 269: 1457–1465.
- 2001. A test for male parental care in a fundulid, the bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei. Environ. Biol. Fish. 61: 419–426. &
- 2004. Genetics, lighting environment, and heritable responses to lighting environment affect male color morph expression in bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei. Evolution 58: 1086–1098. &
- 2003. Intraspecific variation in retinal cone distribution in the bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei. J. Comp. Physiol. A 189: 609–616. , , , &
- 2004. Population variation in opsin expression in the bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei: a real-time PCR study. J. Comp. Physiol. A 190: 147–154. , , , &
- 1998. Are maternal effects in fish adaptive or merely physiological side effects? In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 178–201. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1991. The evolution of costly mate preferences. 2. The handicap principle. Evolution 45: 1431–1442. &
- 1999. Morphological changes in the retina of Aequidens pulcher (Cichlidae) after rearing in monochromatic light. Vision Res. 39: 2441–2448. , &
- 2001a. Rearing in different photic and chromatic environments modifies spectral responses of cone horizontal cells in adult fish retina. Vis. Neurosci. 18: 857–864. , &
- 2001b. The development of the crystalline lens is sensitive to visual input in the African cichlid fish, Haplochromis burtoni. Vision Res. 41: 549–559. , &
- 1994. The fate of ultraviolet receptors in the retina of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Vision Res. 34: 1375–1383. , , &
- 1981. Models of speciation by sexual selection on polygenic traits. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78: 3721–3725.
- 2004. Differences in visual signal design and detectability between allopatric populations of Anolis lizards. Am. Nat. 163: 26–39. &
- 1994. What does the comparative method reveal about adaptation. Am. Nat. 143: 381–402. , &
- 1991. A short-wavelength sensitive cone mechanism in juvenile yellow perch, Perca flavescens. Vision Res. 31: 353–360. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA. &
- 1984. Visual pigments and environmental light. Vision Res. 24: 1539–1550.
- 1994. The ecology of the visual pigments of snappers (Lutjanidae) on the great barrier reef. J. Comp. Physiol. A 174: 461–467. , , , &
- 1995. Intraspecific variation of spectral sensitivity in threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) from different photic regimes. J. Comp. Physiol. A 176: 255–260. &
- 2002. Patterns of heritability of decreased EROD activity and resistance to PCB 126-induced teratogenesis in laboratory-reared offspring of killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) from a creosote-contaminated site in the Elizabeth River, VA, USA. Mar. Environ. Res. 54: 621–626. &
- 2002. Cytochrome P4501A (CYP1A) in killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus): heritability of altered expression and relationship to survival in contaminated sediments. Toxicol. Sci. 68: 69–81. , &
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1999. Adaptations of visual pigments to the aquatic environment. In: Adaptive Mechanisms in the Ecology of Vision (S. N.Archer, M. B. A.Djamgoz, E. R.Loew & S.Vallerga, eds), pp. 251–283. Kluwer, Dordrecht. &
- 1987. Sexual selection – the handicap principle does work sometimes. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 231: 123–145.
- 2003. Genetic variance and phenotypic plasticity in a component of female mate choice in an ultrasonic moth. Evolution 57: 1304–1313. &
- 2004. Optimal mechanisms for finding and selecting mates: how threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) should encode male throat colors. J. Comp. Physiol. A 190: 241–256. , , &
- 1990. Sexual selection, sensory systems and sensory exploitation. Oxf. Surv. Evol. Biol. 7: 157–195.
- 1993. Honesty, perception and population divergence in sexually selected traits. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 253: 117–122. &
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277: 1808–1811. , &
- 1999. Color polymorphism and sex ratio distortion in a cichlid fish as an incipient stage in sympatric speciation by sexual selection. Ecol. Lett. 2: 367–378. , &
- 1993. Changes in the spectral absorption of cone visual pigments during the settlement of the goatfish Upeneus tragula– the loss of red sensitivity as a benthic existence begins. J. Comp. Physiol. A 173: 115–121.
- 1997. Ontogenetic changes in retinal structure and visual acuity: a comparative study of coral-reef teleosts with differing post-settlement lifestyles. Environ. Biol. Fish. 49: 307–322.
- 1995. Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York. &
- 1986. Foraging Theory. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA. &
- 2004. Spatial scale and temporal component of selection in side-blotched lizards. Am. Nat. 163: 726–734. &
- 2002. The effect of selection on a long wavelength-sensitive (LWS) opsin gene of Lake Victoria cichlid fishes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99: 15501–15506. , , , &
- 1998. Tetrachromacy, oil droplets and bird plumage colours. J. Comp. Physiol. A 183: 621–633. , , , &
- 2000. Effects of long-term spectral deprivation on the morphological organization of the outer retina of the blue acara (Aequidens pulcher). Phil. T. Roy. Soc. B 355: 1249–1252. &
- 1984. Sexual selection, competitive communication and species-specific signals in insects. In: Insect Communication (T.Lewis, ed.), pp. 283–324. Academic Press, New York.
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1997. Molecular genetic basis of adaptive selection: examples from color vision in vertebrates. Ann. Rev. Genet. 31: 315–336.
- 1996. Adaptive evolution of photoreceptors and visual pigments in vertebrates. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27: 543–567. &