A measure of the within-chromosome synergistic epistasis for Drosophila viability
Version of Record online: 17 MAR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 1130–1137, July 2005
How to Cite
ROSA, J. M., CAMACHO, S. and GARCÍA-DORADO, A. (2005), A measure of the within-chromosome synergistic epistasis for Drosophila viability. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 1130–1137. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00892.x
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2005
- Version of Record online: 17 MAR 2005
- Received 22 June 2004; revised 5 November 2004; accepted 13 December 2004
- 2002. The effects of spontaneous mutation on competitive fitness in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 561–566. &
- 1995. A general model for the evolution of recombination. Genet. Res. 65: 123–144.
- 2003. Patterns of epistasis in RNA viruses: a review of the evidence from vaccine design. J. Evo. Biol. 16: 1223–1235. , &
- 2001. The rate of mutation and the homozygous and heterozygous mutational effects for competitive viability: a long-term experiment with Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 158: 681–693. , &
- 1970. Genetic loads and the cost of natural selection. In: Mathematica Topics in Population Genetics (K.Kojima, ed.), pp. 128–177. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg.
- 1963. Genetics of natural populations. XXXII. Inbreeding and the mutational and balanced genetic loads in natural populations of Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 48: 361–373. , &
- 1997. Test of synergistic interactions among deleterious mutations in bacteria. Nature 390: 395–398. &
- 1996. Spontaneous mutational variances and covariances for fitness-related traits in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 143: 829–837. &
- 2003. Lack of nonadditive genetic effects on early fecundity in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 57: 558–565. , , , &
- 2004. Analysis of the estimators of the average coefficient of dominance of deleterious mutations. Genetics 168: 1053–1069. , &
- 2004. On the rate and linearity of viability declines in Drosophila mutation-accumulation experiments: genomic mutation rates and synergistic epistasis revisited. Genetics 166: 797–806.
- 1994. The genetics of viability in Drosophila melanogaster: effect of inbreeding and artificial selection. Evolution 48: 1277–1285. , &
- 2003. Tolerant versus sensitive genomes: the impact of deleterious mutation on fitness and conservation. Conserv. Genet. 4: 311–324.
- 2002. The mutational rate of Drosophila viability decline: tinkering with old data. Genet. Res. 80: 99–105. &
- 1998. Minimum distance estimation of mutational parameters for quantitative traits. Biometrics 54: 1097–1114. &
- 1991. Soft selection and quantitative genetic variation: a laboratory experiment. Heredity 66: 313–323. , &
- 1999. Properties of spontaneous mutations affecting quantitative traits. Genet. Res. 74: 341–350. , &
- 2003. Rate and effects of deleterious mutation and their evolutionary consequences. In: Evolution: From Molecules to Ecosystems (A.Moya & E.Font, eds), pp. 20–32.Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , &
- 1960. A comparison of the effect of lethal and detrimental chromosomes from Drosophila populations. Genetics 45: 1153–1168. &
- 2000. Deleterious mutations and the evolution of sex. Science 290: 331–333. &
- 1988. Deleterious mutations and the evolution of sexual reproduction. Nature 336: 435–440.
- 1984. The genetic structure of natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. XVII. A population carrying genetic variability explicable by the classical hypothesis. Genetics 108: 393–408. &
- 2000. The genetic structure of the Raleigh natural population revisited. Genetics 154: 679–685. , , &
- 1989. Inbreeding increases genetic variance for viability in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 43: 1800–1804. &
- 1964. Inbreeding and the mutational and balanced loads in natural populations of Drosophila Willistoni. Genetics 50: 1299–1311. , , &
- 1969. The genetic structure of natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. VII. Synergistic interaction of spontaneous mutant polygenes controlling viability. Genetics 61: 749–761.
- 1983. The genetic structure of natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. XVI. Excess of additive genetic variance of viability. Genetics 105: 115–134. &
- 1974. The genetic structure of natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. XI. Genetic variability in a local population. Genetics 76: 339–366. &
- 1997. Deleterious mutation, variable epistatic interaction, and the evolution of recombination. Theor. Popul. Biol. 51: 134–147. &
- 2002. Resolving the paradox of sex and recombination. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3: 256–261. &
- 2000. Effect of deleterious mutation accumulation on the fitness of RNA bacteriophage MS2. Evolution 54: 686–691. , &
- 2000. A test for epistasis among induced mutations in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 156: 1635–1647. &
- 2003. Testing for epistasis between deleterious mutations in a parasitoid wasp. Evolution 57: 1698–1703. , &
- 1982. Chromosome interactions in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Viability studies. Genetics 102: 467–483. &
- 1965. Genetics of natural populations. XXXVI. Epistatic interactions of the components of the genetic load in Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 52: 653–664. , &
- 1966. Homozygous viability and fertility loads in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 53: 27–46.
- 1969. The influence of epistasis on homozygous viability depression in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 61: 497–519. , , &
- 1997. An experimental test of synergistic epistasis and its application in Chlamydomonas. Genetics 145: 815–819. , &
- 2000. Factors affecting the genetic load in Drosophila: synergistic epistasis and correlations among fitness components. Evolution 54: 1654–1660. &
- 1993. Effects of different levels of inbreeding on fitness components in Mimulus gutatus. Evolution 47: 864–876.
- 2001. Direct estimate of the mutation rate and the distribution of fitness effects in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 159: 441–452. , , &