Adaptation to environmental stress: a rare or frequent driver of speciation?
Article first published online: 13 JUL 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 893–900, July 2005
How to Cite
LEXER, C. and FAY, M. F. (2005), Adaptation to environmental stress: a rare or frequent driver of speciation?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 893–900. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00901.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 13 JUL 2005
- Received 6 October 2004; revised 18 January 2005; accepted 20 January 2005
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16: 113–148. &
- 1993. Genetic analysis of hybrid zones. In: Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process (R. G.Harrison & J.Price, eds), pp. 13–45. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2002. Retrotransposons and genomic stability in populations of the young allopolyploid species Spartina anglica C. E. Hubbard (Poaceae). Mol. Biol. Evol. 19: 1218–1227. , , &
- 2000. Rapid evolution in plant chitinases: molecular targets of selection in plant-pathogen coevolution. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 97: 5322–5327. , &
- 1989. Reinforcement of premating isolation. In: Speciation and its consequences (D.Otte & J. A.Endler, eds), pp. 158–179. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts.
- 2004. Genomic scan using AFLP markers as a means to assess the role of directional selection in the divergence of sympatric whitefish ecotypes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21: 945–956. &
- 2004. World-wide survey of an Accord insertion and its association with DDT resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol. Ecol. 13: 2491–2504. , , , , &
- 1988. Mechanisms of salinity tolerance in plants. Plant Physiol. 87: 547–550.
- 2003. Population genetics of tandem trypsin inhibitor genes in Arabidopsis species with contrasting ecology and life history. Mol. Ecol. 12: 1287–1299. &
- 1859. The origin of species (W.Benton, ed.). Encyclopaedia Britanica, London.
- 1993. QTL analysis of transgressive segregation in an interspecific tomato cross. Genetics 134: 585–596. &
- 1937. Genetics and the Origin of Species. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2004. Selection and dispersal in a multispecies oak hybrid zone. Evolution 58: 261–269. &
- 2003. Evolutionary and ecological functional genomics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4: 649–665. &
- 1986. Halophytes. Q. Rev. Biol. 61: 313–337. , &
- 1966. The origin of a new species of Gilia in a hybridization experiment. Genetics 54: 1189–1199.
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin's finches. Science 296: 707–711. &
- 2003. Ecological adaptation during incipient speciation revealed by precise gene replacement. Science 302: 1754–1757. , , &
- 1990. Hybrid zones: windows on evolutionary processes. Oxford Surv. Evol. Biol. 7: 69–128.
- 2000a. Plant cellular and molecular responses to high salinity. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 51: 463–499. , , &
- 2000b. The dawn of plant salt tolerance genetics. Trends Plant Sci. 5: 317–319. , &
- 1994. Using hitchhiking genes to study adaptation and divergence during speciation within the Drosophila melanogaster species complex. Evolution 48: 1900–1913. , &
- 2001. Strength and of tempo of directional selection in the wild. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 9157–9160. , , , , , &
- 1997. Extreme Environmental Change and Evolution. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 175–216. , &
- 1983. Selection and migration in two distinct phenotypes of Littorina saxatilis in Sweden. Oecologica 59: 58–61.
- 2003. Evolution in Littorina: ecology matters. J. Sea Res. 49: 107–117.
- 1997. Growth rate differences between upper and lower shore ecotypes of the marine snail Littorina saxatilis (Olivi) (Gastropoda). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61: 267–279. , &
- 2001. Intimately linked or hardly speaking? The relationship between genotype and environmental gradients in a Louisiana Iris hybrid population. Mol. Ecol. 10: 673–681. , , , &
- 2000. Calcium signaling during abiotic stress in plants. Int. Rev. Cyt. 195: 269–324.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2000. The Origin, Expansion, and Demise of Plant Species. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2004. Ecological speciation: Crossing the divide. Syst. Bot. 29: 807–816.
- 2003a. Experimental hybridization as a tool for studying selection in the wild. Ecology 84: 1688–1699. , &
- 2003b. The origin of ecological divergence in Helianthus paradoxus (Asteraceae): selection on transgressive characters in a novel hybrid habitat. Evolution 57: 1989–2000. , , &
- 2003c. Natural selection for salt tolerance QTLs in wild sunflower hybrids: implications for the origin of Helianthus paradoxus, a diploid hybrid species. Mol. Ecol. 12: 1225–1235. , , &
- 2004. Candidate gene polymorphisms associated with salt tolerance in wild sunflower hybrids: implications for the origin of Helianthus paradoxus, a diploid hybrid species. New Phytol. 161: 225–233. , &
- 1998. Two sites in the Delta gene region contribute to naturally occurring variation in bristle number in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 149: 999–1017. , , &
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4: 981–994. , , , &
- 1983. The genetic control of copper tolerance in the yellow monkey flower, Mimulus guttatus. Heredity 50: 283–293.
- 1984. The significance of responses of the genome to challenge. Science 226: 792–801.
- 2001. Local adaptation across a climatic gradient despite small effective population size in the rare sapphire rockcress. Proc. Royal Soc. London B 268: 1715–1721. , , , , &
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: Markers, QTL and traits. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 285–292. &
- 2003. Genetics of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana: I. Pleiotropy contributes to genetic correlations among ecological traits. Mol. Ecol. 12: 1137–1151. , &
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evolution. Biol. 14: 892–903. &
- 2001. Genetic evidence for adaptation-driven incipient speciation of Drosophila melanogaster along a microclimatic contrast in ‘‘Evolution Canyon’’, Israel. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 13195–13200. , , , , , , &
- 2001. Arabidopsis thaliana and its wild relatives: a model system for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 693–700.
- 2003. Accumulating postzygotic isolation genes in parapatry: a new twist on chromosomal speciation. Evolution 57: 447–459. &
- 2000. Speciation and adaptive radiation of subterranean mole rats, Spalax ehrenbergi superspecies, in Jordan. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 69: 263–281. , , &
- 2001. Statistical tests of selective neutrality in the age of genomics. Heredity 86: 641–647.
- 2002. The extent of linkage disequilibrium in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nat. Genet. 30: 190–193. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Chromosomal inversions and the persistence of species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 12084–12088. , , &
- 2004. Linkage disequilibrium mapping of ArabidopsisCRY2 flowering time alleles. Genetics 167: 1361–1369. , , , , &
- 1998. Testing natural selection vs. genetic drift in phenotypic evolution using quantitative trait locus data. Genetics 149: 2099–2104.
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43: 1209–1222. &
- 2003. Geographic variation in acid stress tolerance of the moor frog, Rana arvalis. I. Local adaptation. Evolution 57: 352–362. , &
- 2002. Genetic mapping in hybrid zones. Am. Nat. 159: S37–S49. &
- 1999. Hybrid zones and the genetic architecture of a barrier to gene flow between two sunflower species. Genetics 152: 713–727. , &
- 2002. Directional selection is the primary cause of phenotypic diversification. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 99: 12242–12245. , , &
- 2003. Major ecological transitions in wild sunflowers facilitated by hybridization. Science 301: 1211–1216. , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Integrating QTL mapping and genome scans towards the characterization of candidate loci under parallel selection in the lake whitefish (Coregonus clupaeformis). Mol. Ecol. Published on-line on 7 December 2004. &
- 2004. Physiological stress in ecology: lessons from biomedical research. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 249–255.
- 2002. Phenotypic differentiation between three ancient hybrid taxa and their parental species. Int. J. Plant Sci. 163: 387–398. , , , &
- 2002a. Towards a molecular characterization of adaptation in local populations. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 12: 683–687.
- 2002b. A microsatellite-based multilocus screen for the identification of local selective sweeps. Genetics 160: 753–763.
- 2003. Hitchhiking mapping – functional genomics from the population genetics perspective. Trends Genet. 19: 32–38.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2001. Monitoring the expression pattern of 1300 Arabidopsis genes under drought and cold stresses by using a full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Cell 13: 61–72. , , , , , , &
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: theory and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34: 339–364. &
- 2004. Quantitative trait locus mapping in natural populations: progress, caveats and future directions. Mol. Ecol. Published on-line on 19 November 2004.
- 2004. Advances in the study of polyploidy since Plant Speciation. New Phytol. 161: 173–191. , &
- 2003. The evolutionary and ecological role of heat shock proteins. Ecol. Lett. 6: 1025–1037. , &
- 1981. Mechanisms of speciation-a population genetic approach. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 12: 23–48.
- 2001. Dwarf8 polymorphisms associate with variation in flowering time. Nat. Genet. 28: 286–289. , , , , &
- 2003. Effects of genetic background on response to selection in experimental populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 163: 277–286. , &
- 2003. Genetic architecture of a selection response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 57: 2531–2539. &
- 2003. The maintenance of reproductive isolation in a mosaic hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads Bombina bombina and B. variegata. Evolution 57: 1876–1888. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Heterogeneous selection at specific loci in natural environments in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 165: 321–329. , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Habitat divergence between a homoploid hybrid sunflower species, Helianthus paradoxus (Asteraceae), and its progenitors. Am. J. Bot. 89: 472–479. &
- 2000. Genome evolution in polyploids. Plant Mol. Biol. 42: 225–249.
- 2001. Functional genomics and the study of development, variation and evolution. Nat. Rev. Genet. 2: 528–537.
- 2001. Differential gene exchange between parapatric morphs of Littorina saxatilis detected using AFLP markers. J. Evolution. Biol. 14: 611–619. , &
- 1992. The Diversity of Life. The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 2001. The genic view of the process of speciation. J. Evolution. Biol. 14: 851–865.