Growth form evolution and shifting habitat specialization in annual plants
Article first published online: 24 MAR 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 1009–1018, July 2005
How to Cite
BONSER, S. P. and GEBER, M. A. (2005), Growth form evolution and shifting habitat specialization in annual plants. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 1009–1018. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00904.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 24 MAR 2005
- Received 28 October 2004; revised 15 January 2005; accepted 19 January 2005
- 1992. Fecundity allocation in herbaceous plants. Oikos 65: 225–232. &
- 2001. Accelerated regulatory gene evolution in an adaptive radiation. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 10208–10213. , &
- 2001. Trends and rates of microevolution in plants. Genetica 112: 165–182. &
- 1996. Meristem allocation: a new classification theory for adaptive strategies in herbaceous plants. Oikos 77: 347–352. &
- 2003. Allometry and development in herbaceous plants: functional responses of meristem allocation to light and nutrient availability. Am. J. Bot. 90: 404–412. &
- 2000. Induced mutations: a novel tool to study phenotypic integration and evolutionary constraints in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evol. Ecol. Res. 2: 1009–1029. , &
- 2001. The R package for multivariate and spatial analysis, version 4.0 d6 [www document] URL http://www.fas.umontreal.ca/BIOL/legendre/ &
- 1999. Phylogenetic analysis of trait evolution and species diversity variation among flowering plant families. Evolution 53: 732–744. , &
- 2000. Plasticity to light cues and resources in Arabidopsis thaliana: testing for adaptive values and costs. Evolution 54: 1982–1994. , &
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. Am. Nat. 147: 445–465. &
- 1992. Pollination systems, dispersal modes, life forms, and diversification rates in angiosperm families. Evolution 46: 258–266. &
- 2002. Minor quantitative trait loci underlie floral traits associated with mating system divergence in Mimulus. Evolution 56: 2138–2155. , &
- 1989. Interplay of morphology and development on size inequality, a Polygonum greenhouse study. Ecol. Monogr. 59: 267–288.
- 2002. Ecological constraints on the evolution of plasticity in plants. Evol. Ecol. 16: 213–242.
- 1984. Genetics and morphological evolution in plants. Am. Nat. 123: 681–709.
- 2004. Phenotypic integration as a constraint to adaptation. In: Phenotypic Integration: Studying the Ecology and Evolution of Complex Phenotypes (K. A.Preston & M.Pigliucci, eds), pp. 107–129. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1996. The evolution of growth-forms in the Macaronesian genus Aeonium (Crassulaceae) inferred from chloroplast DNA RFLPs and morphology. Mol Ecol. 5: 351–363. &
- 2001. Evolution of morphological novelty: A phylogenetic analysis of growth patterns in Streptocarpus (Gesneriaceae). Evolution 55: 918–929. &
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance-covariance matrices. I. Using the Fleury hierarchy. Evolution 53: 1506–1515. &
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
- 2003. Phenotypic integration: studying the ecology and evolution of complex phenotypes. Ecol. Lett. 6: 265–272.
- 2004. Studying the plasticity of phenotypic integration in a model organism. In: Phenotypic Integration: Studying the Ecology and Evolution of Complex Phenotypes (K. A.Preston & M.Pigliucci, eds), pp. 155–175. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1999. Genes affecting phenotypic plasticity in Arabidopsis: pleiotropic effects and reproductive fitness of photomorphogenic mutants. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 551–562. &
- 1998. The molecular evolution of development. Bio. Essays 20: 700–711.
- 2002. GAI Homologues in the Hawaiian silversword alliance (Asteraceae-Madiinae): molecular evolution of growth regulators in a rapidly diversifying plant lineage. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19: 1563–1574. &
- 2003. Candidate genes, quantitative trait loci, and functional trait evolution in plants. Int. J. Plant Sci. 164: s7–s20. &
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1994. Species richness within families of flowering plants. Evolution 48: 1619–1636. &
- 2000. Evolutionary flexibility and flowering plant familial diversity: a comment on Dodd, Silvertown, and Chase. Evolution 54: 1061–1065. &
- 1989. A giberellin-deficient Brassica mutant – rosette. Plant Physiol. 89: 482–487. , , &
- 1995. A test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis using transgenic and mutant plants disabled in phytochrome-mediated elongation responses to neighbors. Am. Nat. 146: 937–953. , &
- 1993. Light spectral quality, phytochrome and plant competition. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8: 47–50. &
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8: 329–332.
- 1995. Plant architecture and allocation in different neighborhoods: implications for competitive success. Ecology 76: 262–271. &
- 1997. Variation in growth form in relation to spectral light quality (red/far-red ratio) in Plantego lanceolata in sun and shade populations. Oecologia 111: 452–459. &
- 1990. Morphological variation in Plantago lanceolata: limits of plasticity. Evol. Trends Plants 44: 35–43.
- 1991. Evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially heterogeneous environments. Evolution 45: 1317–1331.
- 1998. The functional ecology of shoot architecture in sun and shade plants of Heteromeles arbutifolia M. Roem., a Californian chaparral shrub. Oecologia 114: 1–10. &
- 2004. Testing the adaptive nature of radiation: growth form and life history divergence in the African grass genus Ehrharta (Poaceae: Ehrhartoideae). Am. J. Bot. 91: 1364–1370. , &
- 1992. Competition and allometry in three species of annual plants. Ecology 73: 648–656. &
- 2000. Plasticity versus canalization: population differences in the timing of shade avoidance responses. Evolution 54: 441–451.