Sex, mutation and fitness: asymmetric costs and routes to recovery through compensatory evolution
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 1115–1122, July 2005
How to Cite
PISCHEDDA, A. and CHIPPINDALE, A. (2005), Sex, mutation and fitness: asymmetric costs and routes to recovery through compensatory evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 1115–1122. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00915.x
- Issue published online: 17 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2005
- Received 13 January 2005; revised 27 January 2005; accepted 28 January 2005
- 1948. Intra-sexual selection in Drosophila. Heredity 2: 349–368.
- 1988. Evolution of a bacteria/plasmid association. Nature 335: 351–352. &
- 1995. Cost of mating in Drosophila melanogaster females is mediated by male accessory gland products. Nature 373: 241–244. , , , &
- 2001. Negative genetic correlation for fitness between sexes reveals ontogenetic conflict in Drosophila. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 98: 1671–1675. , &
- 1994. Amelioration of the deleterious pleiotropic effects of an adaptive mutation in Bacillus subtilis. Evolution 48: 81–95. , &
- 1973. Courtship processing in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Selection for receptivity to wingless males. Anim. Behav. 21: 349–358.
- 1964. The influence of wing area on the courtship behaviour of Drosophila melanogaster. Anim. Behav. 12: 316–320.
- 1962. Genotype, phenotype, and mating behaviour of Drosophila melanogaster. Am. Nat. 96: 175–181. &
- 2000. Courtship in Drosophila. Ann. Rev. Genet. 34: 205–232. &
- 1988. Experimental studies of pleiotropy and epistasis in Escherichia coli. II. Compensation for maladaptive effects associated with resistance to virus T4. Evolution 42: 433–440.
- 2000. Compensatory mutations, antibiotic resistance and the population genetics of adaptive evolution in bacteria. Genetics 154: 985–997. , &
- 1992. The Genome of Drosophila Melanogaster. Academic Press Inc., San Diego, CA, USA. , &
- 1951. Natural selection in Drosophila melanogaster under laboratory conditions. Evolution 5: 231–242.
- 1993. Measuring fitness and intergenic interactions: the evolution of resistance to diazinon in Lucilia cuprina. Genetica 90: 227–237.
- 1982. The effect of genetic background on the fitness of diazinon resistance genotypes of the Australian sheep blowfly, Lucilia cuprina. Heredity 49: 1–9. , &
- 2000. Pervasive compensatory adaptation in Escherichia coli. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 515–522. , &
- 1995. Nubbin encodes a POU-domain protein required for proximal-distal patterning in the Drosophila wing. Development 121: 589–599. , &
- 1991. The evolution of costly mate preferences. I. Fisher and biased mutation. Evolution 45: 1422–1430. , &
- 2000. Compensatory evolution in rifampin-resistant Escherichia coli. Genetics 156: 1471–1481.
- 1996. Sexually antagonistic male adaptation triggered by experimental arrest of female evolution. Nature 381: 232–234.
- 1996. Reducing antibiotic resistance. Nature 381: 120–121.
- 1974. Courtship behavior in Drosophila. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 19: 385–405.
- 2004. Genic capture and resolving the lek paradox. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 323–328. , , &
- 1997. Tokens of love: functions and regulation of Drosophila male accessory gland products. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 27: 179–192.
- 1932. The roles of mutation, inbreeding, crossbreeding, and selection in evolution. In: Evolution, Selected Papers (W. B.Provine, ed.), 1986, pp. 161–172. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, USA.