Spatial scale of local adaptation in a plant-pathogen metapopulation
Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 930–938, July 2005
How to Cite
LAINE, A.-L. (2005), Spatial scale of local adaptation in a plant-pathogen metapopulation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 930–938. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00933.x
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2005
- Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2005
- Received 19 January 2005; revised 27 February 2005; accepted 28 February 2005
- 1995. Interactive Spatial Data Analysis. Longman Group Limited, Essex. &
- 1993. Resistance to Erysiphe fischeri in two populations of Senecio vulgaris. Plant Pathol. 42: 636–646. , &
- 2000. Coevolution at multiple spatial scales: Linum marginale–Melampsora lini– from the individual to the species. Evol. Ecol. 14: 261–281. &
- 1996. The role of race specific resistance in natural plant populations. Oikos 76: 411–416. , , &
- 2002. The role of powdery mildew research in understanding host-parasite interaction: past, present and future. In: The Powdery Mildews – A Comprehensive Treatise (R. R.Bélanger, W. R.Bushnell, A. J.Dik & L. W.Carver, eds), pp. 1–12. The American Phytological Society, St Paul.
- 1980. The biology of Canadian weeds., 47. Plantago lanceolata L. Can. J. Plant Sci. 60: 1269–1282. , &
- 1986. Gynodioecy in Plantago lanceolata L. V. Frequencies and spatial distribution of nuclear and cytoplasmic genes. Heredity 56: 355–365.
- 1996. Ecological genetic interactions between a clonal host plant (Spartina pectinata) and associated rust fungi Puccinia seymouriana and Puccinia spargaioides. Oecologia 105: 205–213. , &
- 1996. Sympatric and allopatric combinations of hen fleas and great tits: a test of local adaptation hypothesis. J. Evol. Biol. 9: 505–510.
- 1996. The geography of coevolution: comparative population structures for a snail and its trematode parasite. Evolution 50: 2264–2275. &
- 1994. Virulence and local adaptation of a horizontally transmitted parasite. Science 265: 1084–1086.
- 1998. Within- and between-population variation for resistance of Daphnia magna to the bacterial endoparasite Pasteuria ramosa. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 265: 2127–2134. , &
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host–parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host–parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 451–462. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1998. Differential adaptation in spatially heterogeneous environments and host-parasite coevolution. In: Genetic Structure and Local Adaptation in Natural Insect Populations (S.Mopper & S. Y.Strauss, eds), pp. 325–342. Chapman & Hall, New York. , , &
- 1994. Local adaptation in the armored scale insect Pseudaulacaspis pentagona (Homoptera: Diaspididae). Ecology 75: 2301–2310. &
- 1998. Patterns of local adaptation of a protozoan parasite to its bumblebee host. Oikos 82: 59–66. &
- JMP 2002. Statistics and Graphics Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary.
- 1998. Local adaptation in host–parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 2002. Within- and among-population variation in infectivity, latency and spore production in a host–pathogen system. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 850–860. &
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53: 395–407. , , &
- 1989. Fine-scale adaptation of herbivorous thrips to individual host plants. Nature 340: 60–61.
- 2000. Local adaptation of a holoparasitic plant, Cuscuta europaea: variation among populations. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 749–755. , &
- 2004. Resistance variation within and among host populations in a plant-pathogen metapopulation – implications for regional pathogen dynamics. J. Ecol. 92: 990–1000.
- 1989. Adaptation by a parasitic trematode to local populations of its host snail. Evolution 43: 1663–1671.
- 1999. Migration, virulence, and the geographic mosaic of adaptation by parasites. Am. Nat. 153: S34–S47.
- 2000. Parasite adaptation to locally common host genotypes. Nature 405: 679–681. &
- 1996. Clinal variation for local adaptation in a host–parasite interaction. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 263: 891–897. &
- 2004. SPOMSIM: software for stochastic patch occupancy models of metapopulation dynamics. Ecol. Model. 179: 533–550.
- 1996. Parasite–host coevolution and geographic patterns of parasite infectivity and host susceptibility. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 263: 119–128. , &
- 2000. Local adaptation, resistance, and virulence in a hemiparasitic plant–host plant interaction. Evolution 54: 433–440. , , &
- 2002. Basic methods for epidemiological studies of powdery mildews: Culture and preservation of isolates, production and delivery of inoculum, and disease assessment. In: The Powdery Mildews: A Comprehensive Treatise (R. R.Bélanger, R. B.Bushnell, A. J.Dik & T. J. W.Carver, eds), pp. 83–99. The American Phytopathological Society, St Paul. , &
- 2004. Structure and dynamics of Melitaea cinxia metapopulations. In: On the Wings of Checkerspots: A Model System for Population Biology (P. R.Ehrlich & I.Hanski, eds), pp. 63–91. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , &
- 1999. Parasite local maladaptation in the Canarian lizard Gallotia galloti (Reptilia: Lacertidae) parasitized by haemogregarian blood parasite. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 951–955. , &
- 1985. Local population differentiation for compatibility in an annual legume and its host-specific fungal pathogen. Evolution 39: 713–723.
- 1989. Disease impact and local genetic diversity in the clonal plant Podophyllum peltatum. Evolution 43: 540–547.
- SAS Institute 1999. SAS/STAT Software User's Guide, Release 8.00. SAS Institute Inc., Cary.
- 1997. Lack of evidence for local adaptation to individual plant clones or site by a mobile specialist herbivore. Oecologia 110: 77–85.
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1999. Specific hypothesis on the geographic mosaic of coevolution. Am. Nat. 153: S1–S14.
- 2002. Coevolution and maladaptation. Integr. Comp. Biol. 42: 381–387. , &
- 1997. Host–pathogen dynamics in a metapopulation context: the ecological and evolutionary consequences of being spatial. J. Ecol. 85: 743–753. &
- 2002. Evolution of gene-for-gene systems in metapopulations: the effect of spatial scale of host and pathogen dispersal. Plant Pathol. 51: 169–184. &
- 2003. Evolution of virulence in a plant host–pathogen metapopulation. Science 299: 1735–1737. &
- 2001. Variation in resistance and virulence among demes of a plant host–pathogen metapopulation. J. Ecol. 89: 736–748. , &
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale–Melampsora lini host–pathogen interaction. Evolution 56: 1340–1351. , &