The limitations of adaptive dynamics as a model of evolution
Article first published online: 25 AUG 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 1186–1190, September 2005
How to Cite
BARTON, N. H. and POLECHOVÁ, J. (2005), The limitations of adaptive dynamics as a model of evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 18: 1186–1190. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00943.x
- Issue published online: 25 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 25 AUG 2005
- Received 2 July 2004; revised 13 October 2004; accepted 24 November 2004
- 2001. Adaptive dynamics: Neither F nor G. Evol. Ecol. Res. 3: 369–373. .
- 2002. Understanding quantitative genetic variation. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3: 11–21. & .
- 1998. Quantitative trait loci affecting differences in floral morphology between two species of monkeyflower (Mimulus). Genetics 149: 367–382. , , , & .
- 1999. High frequency of cryptic deleterious mutations in Caenorhabditis elegans. Science 285: 1748–1751. , & .
- 1999. On the origin of species by sympatric speciation. Nature 400: 354–357. & .
- 1996. The dynamical theory of coevolution: A derivation from stochastic ecological processes. J. Math. Biol. 34: 579–612. & .
- 2000. Evolutionary branching and sympatric speciation caused by different types of ecological interactions. Am.Nat. 156: S77–S101. & .
- 2003. Speciation along environmental gradients. Nature 421: 259–264. & .
- 1991. Genetic analysis of the morphological differences between maize and teosinte. Genetics 129: 285–295. & .
- 2004. Mutation Accumulation in Populations of Varying Size: The Distribution of mutational Effects for Fitness Correlates in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 166: 1269–1279. , , , & .
- 1975. A pain in the torus: some difficulties with the model of isolation by distance. Amer.Nat. 109: 359–368. .
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford. .
- 2000. Adaptive dynamics in diploid, sexual populations and the evolution of reproductive isolation. Pro. R. Soc. (Lond.) B 267: 1671–1678. & .
- 1986. The evolution and ecology of Darwin's finches. Princeton University Press, NJ, USA. .
- 2005. On the impossibility of coexistence of infinitely many strategies. J Math Biol 50: 133–160. & .
- 1982. Rates of change in quantitative traits from fixation of new mutations. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 79: 142–145. .
- 1965. A stochastic model concerning the maintenance of genetic variability in quantitative characters. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 54: 731–736. .
- 1983. The neutral theory of molecular evolution. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. .
- 1999. Adaptive dynamics in allele space: Evolution of genetic polymorphism by small mutations in a heterogeneous environment. Evolution 53: 993–1008. & .
- 1988. Deleterious mutations and the evolution of sexual reproduction. Nature 336: 435–441. .
- 1975. The maintenance of genetic variability by mutation in a polygenic character with linked loci. Genet. Res. 26: 221–236. .
- 1977. The influence of the mating system on the maintenance of genetic variability in polygenic characters. Genetics 86: 485–498. .
- 1979. Quantitative analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416. .
- 1980. The genetic covariance between characters maintained by pleiotropic mutations. Genetics 94: 203–215. .
- 1981. Models of speciation by sexual selection on polygenic traits. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 78: 3721–3725. .
- 1999. Spontaneous deleterious mutation. Evolution 53: 645–663. , , , , & .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Press, Sunderland, Massachussetts. & .
- 1996. Adaptive dynamics, a geometrical study of the consequences of nearly faithful reproduction. In: Stochastic and Spatial Structures of Dynamical Systems (S. J.vanStrien & S. M.Verduyn Lunel, eds), pp. 183–231. KNAW Verhandelingen, Amsterdam. , , , & .
- 1998. The population genetics of adaptation: The distribution of factors fixed during adaptive evolution. Evolution 52: 935–949. .
- 1972. The evolution of niche width. Amer. Nat. 106: 683–718. .
- 1996. Molecular dissection of a major gene effect on a quantitative trait: the level of alcohol dehydrogenase expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 144: 1559–1564. & .
- 1984. Heritable genetic variation via mutation-selection balance: Lerch's zeta meets the abdominal bristle. Theor. Pop. Biol. 25: 138–193. .
- 2001. Reproductive pair correlations and the clustering of organisms. Nature 412: 328–331. , & .
- 2005. 20 questions on adaptive dynamics. J Evol Biol 18: 1139–1154. & .