Analysis of microsatellite variation in Pinus radiata reveals effects of genetic drift but no recent bottlenecks
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 167–175, January 2006
How to Cite
KARHU, A., VOGL, C., MORAN, G. F., BELL, J. C. and SAVOLAINEN, O. (2006), Analysis of microsatellite variation in Pinus radiata reveals effects of genetic drift but no recent bottlenecks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 167–175. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00982.x
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2005
- Received 12 May 2005; accepted 24 May 2005
- 2002. Population dynamics of Pinus taeda L. based on nuclear microsatellites. For. Ecol. Manage. 163: 263–271. &
- 1981. Holocene climatic changes in relation to vegetation disjunction and speciation. Am. Nat. 117: 847–870.
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Mol. Ecol. 13: 969–980. &
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. 263: 1619–1626. &
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144: 2001–2014. &
- 1999. High population differentiation and genetic variation in the endangered Mexican pine Pinus rzedowskii (Pinaceae). Am. J. Bot. 86: 669–676. , , , &
- 2002. A set of microsatellite markers for fingerprinting and breeding applications in Pinus radiata. Genome 45: 984–989. , , &
- 1978. Seed collections in California in 1978. Aust. CSIRO Div. for. Res. Annu. Rep. 1977–1978.
- 1993. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) Version 3.5c. Distributed by the author. Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle.
- 1982. A clonal study of intraspecific variability in radiata pine. Aust. For. Res. 12: 191–201. , &
- 1992. Factors influencing levels of genetic diversity in woody plant species. N. For. 6: 95–124. , &
- 1993. Chloroplast DNA diversity among trees, populations, and species in the California closed pines (Pinus radiata, P. muricata, and P. attenuata). Genetics 135: 1187–1196. , &
- 1996. Do molecular markers reflect patterns of differentiation in adaptive traits of conifers? Theor. Appl. Genet. 93: 215–221. , , , , , &
- 1998. Pinus radiata: a narrow endemic from North America takes on the world. In: Ecology and biogeography of Pinus (D.M.Richardson, ed.). 432–449. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ,
- 1998. Genetic variation in Pinus. In: Ecology and biogeography of Pinus (D.M.Richardson, ed.). 251–280. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2002. Genetic diversity, mating system, and conservation of a Mexican subalpine relict, Picea mexicana Martínez. Conserv. Genet. 3: 113–122. , &
- 2001. Genetic Data Analysis: Computer program for the analysis of allelic data. Version 1.0 (d16c). Free program distributed by the authors over the internet from http://lewis.eeb.uconn.edu/lewishome/software.html &
- 2004. Since-copy, species-transferable microsatellite markers developed from loblolly pine ESTs. Theor. Appl. Genet. 109: 361–369. , , &
- 1998. Distortion of allele frequency distributions provides a test for recent population bottlenecks. J. Hered. 89: 238–247. , , &
- 2001. Genetic diversity within and among Pinus pinaster populations: comparison betwen AFLP and microsatellite markers. Heredity 86: 469–479. , , , , , &
- 1997. Quaternary evolution of Pinus radiata. FRI Bulletin 203: 22–25.
- 2000. Evolution and biogeography of Pinus radiata with a proposed revision of its Quaternary history. N. Z. J. For. Sci. 29: 335–365.
- 1980. The genetic structure and levels of inbreeding in a Pinus radiata seed orchard. Silvae Genet. 29: 190–193. , &
- 1988. The genetic structure and the conservation of the five natural populations of Pinus radiata. Can. J. For. Res. 18: 506–514. , &
- 1990. Population genetics in forest tree improvement. In: Plant population genetics, Breeding, and Genetic Resources (A.H.D.Brown, M.T.Clegg, A.L.Kahler & B.S.Weir, eds). 282–298. Sunderland, Mass.
- 1972. Genetic distance between populations. Am. Nat. 106: 283–292.
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29: 1–10. , &
- 1997. GeneDoc: Analysis and Visualization of Genetic Variation. EMBNEW.NEWS 4: 14. , . & .
- 2004. Using molecular markers with high mutation rates to obtain estimates of relative population size and to distinguish the effects of gene flow and mutation: a demonstration using data from endemic Mauritian skinks. Mol. Ecol. 13: 775–787. &
- 2001. Distinguishing migration from isolation: a Markov chain Monte Carlo approach. Genetics 158: 885–896. &
- 1997. Identification and characterization of microsatellites in Norway spruce (Picea abies K.). Genome 40: 411–419. , &
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90: 502–503. , &
- 1986. Allozyme differentiation among populations, stands, and cohorts in Monterrey pine. Can. J. For. Res. 16: 1155–1164. &
- 2003. A test for deviation from island-model population structure. Mol. Ecol. 12: 903–915.
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139: 457–462.
- 1994. Occurrence and inheritance of microsatellites in Pinus radiata. Genome 37: 977–983. &
- 1999. Effects of reforestation methods on genetic diversity of lodgepole pine: an assessment using microsatellites and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 98: 793–801. , , , &
- 1991. The significance of genetic erosin in the process of extinction. 1. Genetic differentiation in Salvia pratensis and Scabiosa columbaria in relation to population size. Heredity 66: 181–189. , &
- 2001. Interpretation of variation across marker loci as evidence of selection. Genetics 158: 1811–1823. , &
- 2002. High resolution analysis of mating systems: inbreeding in natural populations of Pinus radiata. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 433–439. , , &
- 2003. Population subdivision and molecular sequence variation: theory and analysis of Drosophila ananassae data. Genetics 165: 1385–1395. , , , &
- 2001. Gene genealogies in a metapopulation. Genetics 159: 893–905. &
- 1978. The homozygosity test of neutrality. Genetics 88: 405–417.
- 1986. The homozygosity test after a change in population size. Genetics 112: 899–907.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. &
- 1999. Nuclear DNA diversity, population differentiation, and phylogenetic relationships in the California closed-cone pines based on RAPD and allozymes markers. Genome 42: 893–908. , &