A comparison of methods to estimate cross-environment genetic correlations
Version of Record online: 27 SEP 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 114–122, January 2006
How to Cite
ASTLES, P. A., MOORE, A. J. and PREZIOSI, R. F. (2006), A comparison of methods to estimate cross-environment genetic correlations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 114–122. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.00997.x
- Issue online: 27 SEP 2005
- Version of Record online: 27 SEP 2005
- Received 6 April 2005; revised 30 May 2005; accepted 30 May 2005
- 1994. Phenotypic plasticity in Crepis-tectorum (Asteraceae)– genetic correlations across light regimens. Heredity 72: 113–125. & .
- 1994. Multivariate inheritance and evolution: a review of concepts. In: Quantitative Genetic Studies of Behavioural Evolution (C. R. B.Boake, ed.), pp. 17–48. The University of Chicago press, Chicago. .
- 1992. Manual of Quantitative Genetics. Pullman, Washington. .
- 1994. Life-history costs associated with the evolution of insecticide resistance. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B-Biol. Sci. 258: 35–40. , , & .
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42: 958–968. .
- 2001. Genetic variation and asexual reproduction in the facultatively parthenogenetic cockroach Nauphoeta cinerea: implications for the evolution of sex. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 68–74. , & .
- 1998. Among-environment heteroscedasticity and the estimation and testing of genetic correlation. Heredity 80: 403–413. & .
- 1952. The problem of environment and selection. Am. Nat. 86: 293–298. .
- 1997. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman Group Ltd., Harlow. & .
- 1992. The mixed-model analysis of variance applied to quantitative genetics – biological meaning of the parameters. Evolution 46: 540–550. .
- 1995. Predicting microevolutionary responses to directional selection on heritable variation. Evolution 49: 241–251. & .
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 96–101. & .
- Insightful. 2001. S-Plus 6 Pro. Insightful Corp., Seattle.
- 2000. The evolution of compensation to herbivory in scarlet gilia, Ipomopsis aggregata: Herbivore-imposed natural selection and the quantitative genetics of tolerance. Evolution 54: 764–777. & .
- 2001. Seasonality and genetic architecture of development time and body size of the birch feeding sawfly Priophorus pallipes. Genet. Res. 78: 31–40. & .
- 1999. Estimating genetic correlations in natural populations. Genet. Res. 74: 255–264. .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. & .
- 1996. Modelling phenotypic plasticity. 2. Do genetic correlations matter? Heredity 77: 453–460. .
- 1984. Tradeoffs in performance on different hosts: evidence from within and between site variation in the beetle Deloyala guttata. Evolution 38: 582–595. .
- 2002. Quantitative genetics of growth and development time in the burying beetle Nicrophorus pustulatus in the presence and absence of post-hatching parental care. Evolution 56: 96–110. & .
- 1995. The estimation of genetic correlations from phenotypic correlations – a test of Cheveruds conjecture. Heredity 74: 481–490. .
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman Hall, New York. .
- 2000. A quantitative genetic analysis of phenotypic plasticity of diapause induction in the cricket Allonemobius socius. Heredity 84: 193–200. & .
- 1994. The estimation of the genetic correlation – the use of the jackknife. Heredity 73: 544–548. & .
- 1986. Response to density in a wild population of the perennial herb Salvia-lyrata– Variation among families. Evolution 40: 492–505. .
- 1987. Maximum-likelihood approaches applied to quantitative genetics of natural populations. Evolution 41: 812–826. .
- 1996. The effect of a variable environment on the genetic correlation structure in a field cricket. Evolution 50: 267–275. & .
- 1995. Biometry. Freeman, San Francisco. & .
- SPSS. 2000. SYSTAT 10. SPSS Inc., Chicago.
- 2001. Comparison of genetic variation in growth performance on normal and novel host plants in a local population of a herbivorous ladybird beetle, Epilachna vigintioctomaculata. Heredity 87: 1–7. , , & .
- 1984. The quantitative genetics of polyphagy in an insect herbivore. 2. Genetic correlations in larval performance within and among host plants. Evolution 38: 896–905. .
- 1991. The genetic-structure of host plant adaptation in a spatial patchwork – Demographic variability among reciprocally transplanted pea aphid clones. Evolution 45: 827–852. .
- 1995. Evolution in heterogeneous environments: genetic variability within and across different grains in Tribolium castaneum. Heredity 74: 80–90. & .
- 1985. Genotype-environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 505–522. & .
- 1987. Evolution of genetic-variability in a spatially heterogeneous environment – effects of genotype-environment interaction. Genet. Res. 49: 147–156. & .
- 1996. Natural heritabilities: Can they be reliably estimated in the laboratory? Evolution 50: 2149–2157. & .
- 2001. Lack of response to artificial selection on the slope of reaction norms for seasonal polyphenism in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Heredity 87: 410–420. & .
- 1991. Can one predict the evolution of quantitative characters without genetics. Evolution 45: 441–444. , & .
- 1997. The calculation and significance testing of genetic correlations across environments. J. Evol. Biol. 10: 853–874. .
- 1962. Genotype x environment interaction and genetic correlation of the same trait under different environments. Jpn. J. Genet. 37: 498–509. .