Does selection by resistant hosts trigger local adaptation in plant–pathogen systems?
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 522–531, March 2006
How to Cite
MONTARRY, J., CORBIERE, R., LESUEUR, S., GLAIS, I. and ANDRIVON, D. (2006), Does selection by resistant hosts trigger local adaptation in plant–pathogen systems?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 522–531. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.01005.x
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2005
- Received 18 May 2005; revised 21 June 2005; accepted 11 July 2005
- 1994. Phytophthora infestans. In: Introductory Mycology, 4th edn), pp. 717–720. John Wiley and Sons, New York. , &
- 1993. Nomenclature for pathogenicity and virulence: the need for precision. Phytopathology 83: 889–890.
- 1994. Races of Phytophthora infestans in France, 1991–1993. Potato Res. 37: 279–286.
- 1995. Biology, ecology and epidemiology of the potato late blight pathogen Phytophthora infestans in soil. Phytopathology 85: 1053–1056.
- 2003. Resistance to late blight and soft rot in six potato progenies and glycoalkaloid contents in the tubers. Am. J. Potato Res. 80: 125–134. , , , , , , &
- 1991. Differential resistance to tuber late blight in potato cultivars without R-genes. Potato Res. 34: 3–8. &
- 1964. Emergence of potato blight, 1843–46. Nature 203: 805–808.
- 1993. Genetic variation in pathogen populations and its implications for adaptation to host resistance. In: Durability of Disease Resistance (Th.Jacobs & J. E.Parlevliet, eds), pp. 41–56. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- 1999. Spatial and temporal patterns in coevolving plant and pathogen associations. Am. Nat. 153: S15–S33. &
- 1974. Intra-racial variation in Phytophthora infestans and adaption to field resistance for potato blight. Ann. Appl. Biol. 77: 259–270.
- 1997. Répartition des souches A2 de Phytophthora infestans en France en 1996. In: Cinquième Conférence Internationale sur les Maladies des Plantes, pp. 369–374. Tours, France. , , , , , , , &
- 1998. Variation in tuber pathogenicity of Phytophthora infestans in the Netherlands. Potato Res. 41: 345–354. , &
- 2003a. The population structure of Phytophthora infestans from the Toluca Valley of central Mexico suggests genetic differentiation between populations from cultivated potato and wild Solanum spp. Phytopathology 93: 382–390. , , , , , , , &
- 2003b. Stability of partial resistance in potato cultivars exposed to aggressive strains of Phytophthora infestans. Plant Pathol. 52: 326–337. , &
- 1971. Current status of the gene-for-gene concept. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 9: 275–296.
- 2000. Evolution of parasite virulence against qualitative or quantitative host resistance. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267: 985–990. &
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host-parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, mutation, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 451–462. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1998. Differential adaptation in spatially heterogeneous environments and host-parasite coevolution. In: Genetic Structure and Local Adaptation in Natural Insect Populations (S.Mopper & S.Strauss, eds), pp. 325–340. Chapman & Hall, London. , , &
- 1997. The population genetics of Phytophthora. Phytopathology 87: 462–473.
- 1991. Effects of natural enemies on the rate of herbivore adaptation to resistant host plants. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 58: 1–14. , &
- 1992. Effects of the aerial environment on late blight of potato foliage – a review. Plant Pathol. 41: 384–416.
- 1970. A test for comparing diversities based on the Shannon formula. J. Theor. Biol. 29: 151–154.
- 1962. Intraracial variation in Phytophthora infestans and field resistance to potato blight. Genetica 32: 323–338. , &
- 1981. Durable resistance: definition of genetic control, and attainment in plant breeding. Phytopathology 71: 567–568.
- 1984. A critical analysis of durable resistance. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 22: 309–330.
- 2002. Within- and among-population variation in infectivity, latency and spore production in a host-pathogen system. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 850–860. &
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53: 395–407. , , &
- 1998. French isolates of Phytophthora infestans from potato and tomato differ in phenotype and genotype. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 104: 583–594. &
- 1998. Evolution of Phytophthora infestans populations in the two most important potato production areas of France during 1992–96. Plant Pathol. 47: 427–439. , &
- 1999. Aggressiveness and competitive fitness of Phytophthora infestans isolates collected from potato and tomato in France. Phytopathology 89: 679–686. , &
- 2004. Changes in population structure of the soilborne fungus Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici during continuous wheat cropping. Environ. Microbiol. 6: 1174–1185. , , , , &
- 1993. Population structure of plant pathogenic fungi and bacteria. In: Advances in Plant Pathology (J.H.Andrews & I.C.Tommerup, eds), pp. 157–205. Academic Press, New York. , &
- 1999. Migration, virulence and the geographic mosaic of adaptation by parasites. Am. Nat. 153: S34–S47.
- 2000. Random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis of Phytophthora infestans isolates collected in Canada during 1994–96. Plant Pathol. 49: 252–260. , , &
- 2002. Pathogen population genetics, evolution potential, and durable resistance. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 40: 349–379. &
- 1979. Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 76: 5269–5273. &
- 1997. Global crop production and the efficacy of crop protection – current situation and future trends. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 103: 203–215. &
- 2001. Humans as the world's greatest evolutionary force. Science 293: 1786–1790.
- 2003. Molecular basis of Pto-mediated resistance to bacterial speck disease in tomato. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 41: 215–243. &
- 2003. Epidémiologie et biologie adaptative des populations de Phytophthora infestans dans des cultures pures et hétérogènes de variétés de pomme de terre. PhD Thesis, ENSA Rennes, France, 157 pp.
- 2005. Efficacy of the R2 resistance gene as a component for the durable management of potato late blight in France. Plant Pathol. 54, (in press). , , &
- 1973. Horizontal resistance. Rev. Plant Pathol. 52: 483–501.
- 1992. Recent and future developments in potato fungal pathology. Neth. J. Plant Pathol. 98 (Suppl. 2): 73–83. &
- 1985. Occurrence of the rare A2 mating type of Phytophthora infestans on imported Egyptian potatoes and the production of sexual progeny with A1 mating types from the UK. Plant Pathol. 34: 552–556. , , &
- 1969. Equability indices: dependence on the species count. Ecology 50: 466–467.
- 1990. Effect of plant age and inoculum concentration on expression of major gene resistance to Phytophthora infestans in detached potato leaflets. Mycol. Res. 94: 823–826.
- 1997. AFLP linkage map of the oomycete Phytophthora infestans. Fungal Genet. Biol. 21: 278–291. , , , &
- 1963. Plant Diseases: Epidemics and Control. Academic Press, New York.
- 1968. Disease Resistance in Plants. Academic Press, New York.
- 1991. Breeding for resistance. In: Advances in Plant Pathology, Vol. 7, Phytophthora infestans: The Cause of Late Blight of Potato (D. S.Ingram & P. H.Williams, eds), pp. 193–224. Academic Press, London.
- 1993. Can the strategic use of disease resistant hosts protect their inherent durability? In: Durability of Disease Resistance (Th.Jacobs & J. E.Parlevliet, eds), pp. 83–96. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- 2002. Local adaptation and effect of host genotype on the rate of pathogen evolution: an experimental test in a plant pathosystem. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 634–647. , , &