Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of natural selection and micro-evolution
Version of Record online: 3 OCT 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 309–320, March 2006
How to Cite
POSTMA, E. (2006), Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of natural selection and micro-evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 309–320. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.01007.x
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2005
- Version of Record online: 3 OCT 2005
- Received 12 July 2005; accepted 15 July 2005
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: theory. Evolution 38: 709–719. &
- 1997. Selection Indices and Prediction of Genetic Merit in Animal Breeding. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- 2004. Testing for microevolution in body size in three blue tit populations. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 732–743. , , &
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426, 655–658. , , , , &
- 1977. Geographic Variation, Speciation, and Clines. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4 edn. Longman, Harlow, UK. &
- 2004a. Evolution in a changing environment: a case study with great tit fledgling mass. Am. Nat. 164: E115–E129. , , &
- 2004b. Climatic and temporal effects on the expression of secondary sexual characters: genetic and environmental components. Evolution 58: 634–644. , &
- 2005. Evolution driven by differential dispersal within a wild bird population. Nature 433: 60–65. , , , &
- 1949. Estimation of changes in herd environment. J. Dairy Sci. 32: 706.
- 1950. Estimation of genetic parameters. Ann. Math. Stat. 21: 309–310.
- 1975. Best linear unbiased estimation and prediction under a selection model. Biometrics 32: 69–83.
- 2004. Comparing strengths of directional selection: how strong is strong? Evolution 58: 2133–2143. , &
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 230–241. &
- 1993. Considerations on genetic connectedness between management units under an animal model. J. Anim. Sci. 71: 2341–2352. &
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157: 245–261. , , , , , , , &
- 1995. Maximum likelihood estimation of genetic parameters in life-history studies using the animal model. Funct. Ecol. 9: 122–126. , , &
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London Ser. B 359: 873–890.
- 2001. Phenotypic selection on a heritable size trait revisited. Am. Nat. 158: 557–571. , &
- 2002a. Severe inbreeding depression in collared flycatchers (Ficedula albicollis). Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. B 269: 1581–1589. , &
- 2002b. Antler size in red deer: heritability and selection but no evolution. Evolution 56: 1683–1695. , , , , &
- 2003. When environmental variation short-circuits natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 207–209. , &
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated traits. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, Mass. &
- 2001a. Cryptic evolution in a wild bird population. Nature 412: 76–79. , &
- 2001b. Natural selection on the genetical component of variance in body condition in a wild bird population. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 918–929. , &
- 2001c. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112: 199–222. , &
- 1989. Approximate accuracy of genetic evaluation under an animal model. Livest. Prod. Sci. 21: 87–100.
- 1996. Linear Models for the Prediction of Animal Breeding Values. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- 2005. Gene flow maintains a large genetic difference in clutch size at a small spatial scale. Nature 433: 65–68. &
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227: 520–521.
- 1972. Extension of covariance selection mathematics. Ann. Hum. Genet. 35: 485–490.
- 1988. Directional selection and the evolution of breeding date in birds. Science 240: 798–799. , &
- 1992. The measurement of selection on quantitative traits: biases due to environmental covariances between traits and fitness. Evolution 46: 616–626.
- 2003. Genetic and plastic responses of a northern mammal to climate change. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. B 270: 591–596. , , &
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2003. Natural selection and the inheritance of breeding time and clutch size in the collared flycatcher. Evolution 57: 406–420. , &
- 2002. Testing for environmentally induced bias in phenotypic estimates of natural selection: theory and practice. Am. Nat. 160: 511–523. , , , , &