Differential effects of egg albumen content on barn swallow nestlings in relation to hatch order
Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 981–993, May 2006
How to Cite
FERRARI, R. P., MARTINELLI, R. and SAINO, N. (2006), Differential effects of egg albumen content on barn swallow nestlings in relation to hatch order. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 981–993. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.01030.x
- Issue online: 31 OCT 2005
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2005
- Received 4 May 2005; revised 22 August 2005; accepted 7 September 2005
- 1997. Life-history consequences of egg size in Drosophila melanogaster. Am. Nat. 150: 250–282. , &
- 1991. Extraordinary clutch size and hatching asynchrony of a neotropical parrot. Auk 108: 863–871. &
- 2000. Why egg yolk is yellow. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 47–49. , &
- 1980. Calories, water, lipid and yolk in avian eggs. Condor 82: 335–343. , &
- 2002. Avian egg size: variation within species and inflexibility within individuals. Biol. Rev. 77: 1–26.
- 1981. Avian breeding adaptations: hatching asynchrony, brood reduction and nest failure. Q. Rev. Biol. 56: 257–277. &
- 2000. Laying order, hatching asynchrony and nestling body mass in Tree Swallows Tachycineta bicolor. J. Avian Biol. 31: 329–334. , &
- 1993. GLIM for Ecologists. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 2003. Atlantic salmon growth in strongly food-limited environments: effects of egg size and paternal phenotype? Env. Biol. Fish. 67: 263–268.
- 1999. Maternal effects of egg size in brown trout (Salmo trutta): norms of reaction to environmental quality. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 2095–2100. &
- 2001. Maternal androgens in black-headed gull (Larus ridibundus) eggs: consequences for chick development. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 839–846. , , &
- 1998. Experimental manipulation of egg quality in chickens: influence of albumen and yolk on the size and body composition of near-term embryos in a precocial birds. J. Comp. Physiol. 168: 17–24. , &
- 2003. Fitness consequences of temperature-mediated egg size plasticity in a butterfly. Funct. Ecol. 17: 803–810. , , &
- 2000. Natural selection on seed-beetle egg size in nature and the laboratory: Variation among environments. Ecology 81: 3029–3035.
- 1998. Maternal effects as adaptations for transgenerational phenotypic plasticity in insects. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 159–177. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1997. Egg size plasticity in a seed beetle: an adaptive maternal effect. Am. Nat. 149: 149–163. , &
- 1999. Egg quality, larval growth and phenotypic plasticity in a forcipulate seastar. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 237: 203–224.
- 1999. Male attractiveness and differential testosterone investment in zebra finch eggs. Science 286: 126–128. , , &
- 2003. The effect of variation in dietary intake on maternal deposition of antioxidants in zebra finch eggs. Funct. Ecol. 17: 472–481.
- 1993. Importance of prenatal nutrition to the development of a precocial chick. Dev. Psychobiol. 26: 237–249.
- 1995. Intraspecific variation in egg composition. Wilson Bull. 107: 382–387.
- 1999. Variation in egg mass in the Pied Flycatcher, Ficedula hypoleuca: an experimental test of the brood survival and brood reduction hypotheses. Evol. Ecol. Res. 1: 753–768.
- 1991. Fitness consequences of variation in egg size and food abundance in brook trout Salvelinus frontalis. Evolution 45: 1162–1168.
- 2003. Direct yolk sac manipulation of zebrafish embryos and the relationship between offspring size and yolk sac volume. J. Fish Biol. 63: 388–397. &
- 1986. Intraclutch egg-size variation in birds: physiological responses of individuals to fluctuation in environmental conditions. Auk 103: 235–237. &
- 1993. Significance of intraclutch eggsize variation in the purple heron. Ornis Scand. 24: 127–134. , &
- 1992. Greater maternal investment can decrease offspring survival in the frog Bombina orientalis. Ecology 73: 280–288.
- 1996. Egg-size variation and reproductive success in the herring gull Larus argentatus: adaptive or constrained size of the last egg? Ibis 138: 212–217. , &
- 1954. The Natural Regulation of Animal Numbers. Clarendon, Oxford.
- 2002. Egg weights, egg component weights, and laying gaps in great tits (Parus major) in relation to ambient temperature. Auk 119: 1091–1103. , &
- 1993. Brood reduction in response to manipulated brood sizes in the common swift (Apus apus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 32: 61–70. &
- 2003. Interpopulational egg-size variation of a landlocked Rhinobius goby related to the risk of larval starvation. Env. Biol. Fish. 67: 223–230. , &
- 1994. Sexual Selection and the Barn Swallow. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2000. Carotenoid dependent signals: indicators of foraging efficiency, immunocompetence or detoxification ability? Avian Poult. Biol. Rev. 11: 137–159. , , , , , &
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 2004. A farewell to Bonferroni: the problems of low statistical power and publication bias. Behav. Ecol. 15: 1044–1045.
- 1981. Egg size variation within passerine clutches: effects of ambient temperature and laying sequence. Ornis Fenn. 58: 93–108. , &
- 1998. Handbook of Vertebrate Immunology. Academic Press, San Diego. , , &
- 2001. The individual optimization of fitness: variation in reproductive output including clutch size, mean nestling mass and offspring recruitment, in manipulated broods of great tits Parus major. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 62–79. , &
- 1995. Begging and provisioning in broods of asynchronously-hatched yellow-headed blackbird nestlings. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 37: 201–208. &
- 1998. Maternal and paternal effects in birds: effects on offspring fitness. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 202–226. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1965. Brood reduction in the curve-billed thrasher. Condor 67: 505–510.
- 1984. Egg dimensions and neonatal mass of shorebirds. Condor 86: 7–11.
- 1978. The relationship between egg size and chick size in the Laughing Gull and Japanese Quail. Auk 95: 135–144. , &
- 1949. The Avian Egg. Wiley, New York. &
- 2005a. Effects of elevated egg corticosterone levels on behavior, growth, and immunity of yellow-legged gull (Larus michaellis) chicks. Horm. Behav. 47: 592–605. , , , , , , &
- 2005b.Effects of elevated yolk testosterone levels on viability, development and phenotype of male and female yellow-legged gull chicks. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. (in press). , , &
- 1993. Effects of egg size, laying order and larval density on performance of Epirrita autumnata (Lepidoptera, Geometridae). Oikos 68: 61–66. , &
- 1978. Egg weight in relation to laying sequence in the a south Swedish urban population of the blackbird Turdus merula. Ornis Scand. 9: 172–177.
- 2002a. Offspring sexual dimorphism and sex-allocation in relation to parental age and paternal ornamentation in the barn swallow. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1533–1544. , , , , &
- 2002b. Early maternal effects and antibacterial immune factors in the eggs, nestlings and adults of the barn swallow. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 735–743. , , &
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nestling Barn Swallows in relation to brood size and paternal effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 2003. Experimental manipulation of egg carotenoids affects immunity of barn swallow nestlings. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2485–2489. , , , &
- 2001. Growth, immunity, and begging behaviour of nestling barn swallows (Hirundo rustica) in relation to hatch order. J. Avian Biol. 32: 263–270. , , , &
- 2000. Begging and parental care in relation to offspring need and condition in the barn swallow (Hirundo rustica). Am. Nat. 156: 637–649. , , , , &
- 2004. Timing of reproduction and egg quality covary with temperature in the insectivorous barn swallow (Hirundo rustica). Funct. Ecol. 18: 50–57. , , , &
- 2005.Stressed mothers lay eggs with high corticosterone levels which produce low-quality offspring. J. Exp. Zool. (in press). , , , &
- 1993. The effect of offspring size on physiology and life history. Bioscience 43: 210–218.
- 1990. Allometric engineering: an experimental test of the causes of interpopulation differences in locomotor performance. Science 252: 1300–1302. &
- 1984. On the adaptive value of intraclutch egg-size variation in birds. Auk 101: 685–697. , , , &
- 2000. Yolk androgens reduce offspring survival. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 1451–1456. &
- 1997. Reduced immunocompetence of nestlings in replacement clutches of the European magpie (Pica pica). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 1593–1598. , &
- 1987. On the composition of bird eggs. Condor 89: 48–65. &
- 1990. Naturally occuring allometric engineering experiment in avian eggs. Am. Zool. 30: 86A. , , &
- 1996. Multiple mechanisms of reverse hatching asynchrony in rockhopper penguins. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 485–494.
- 1996. Hatching asynchrony, brood reduction and other rapidly reproducing hypotheses. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 243–246.
- 1995. Hatching asynchrony and the onset of incubation in birds, revisited. In: Current Ornithology, Vol. 12 (D. M.Power, ed.), pp. 191–270. Plenum Press, New York. &
- 2002. Natural Antioxidants in Avian Nutrition and Reproduction. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham.
- 2000. Experimental excursions on adaptive landscapes: denisty-dependent selection on egg size. Evolution 54: 1396–1403. &
- 1995. Composition of eggs of common eiders. Can. J. Zool. 73: 584–588. &
- 2005. Intra-specific variations of egg size, clutch size and larval survival related to maternal size in amhidromous Rhinogobius goby. Env. Biol. Fish. 73: 379–389. &
- 1991. Veterinary Immunology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia.
- 2002. Egg size variation and its relationship with larval performance in the Lepidoptera: the case of the European grapevine moth Lobesia botrana. Oikos 99: 272–283. &
- 1998. Order of oviposition and egg size in the red-eared slider turtle (Trachemys scripta elegans). Can. J. Zool. 76: 377–380. &
- 1997. Adaptation vs. constraint: intraclutch egg-mass variation in birds. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 781–792.
- 1992. Energetics of laying and incubation in birds: studies of Swallows Hirundo rustica, DippersCinclus cinclus and Japanese Quail Coturnix coturnix japonica. PhD thesis, University of Stirling.
- 1995. Causes and consequences of egg size variation in Swallows Hirundo rustica. Avocetta 19: 201–208.
- 1998. Effects of male genetic contribution and paternal investment to egg and hatchling size in the cricket, Gryllus firmus. J. Evol. Biol. 11: 135–146. , &
- 1996. The proximate effects of food supply on intraclutch egg-size variation in American Kestrels. Can. J. Zool. 74: 118–124. &
- 1994. Intraspecific variation in egg size and egg composition: effects on offspring fitness. Biol. Rev. 68: 35–59.