Evolution of sex-biased maternal effects in birds: II. Contrasting sex-specific oocyte clustering in native and recently established populations
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2005
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 909–921, May 2006
How to Cite
BADYAEV, A. V., OH, K. P. and MUI, R. (2006), Evolution of sex-biased maternal effects in birds: II. Contrasting sex-specific oocyte clustering in native and recently established populations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 909–921. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.01041.x
- Issue published online: 29 NOV 2005
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2005
- Received 25 June 2005; revised 11 September 2005; accepted 20 September 2005
- 1997. Sexually dimorphic eggs, nestling growth and sibling competition in American Kestrels Falco sparverius. Funct. Ecol. 11: 331–335. , &
- 2003. Adaptive seasonal trend in brood sex ratio: test in two sister species with contrasting breeding systems. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 510–515. , , , , &
- 2003. Sex-specific hatching order, growth rates and fledging success in jackdaws Corvus monedula. J. Avian Biol. 34: 275–281. &
- 2005.Maternal inheritance and rapid evolution of sexual size dimorphism: passive effects or active strategies?. Am. Nat. 166: S17–S30.
- 2003. The evolution of sexual size dimorphism in the house finch: V. Maternal effects. Evolution 57: 384–396. , , &
- 2002.Sex-biased hatching order and adaptive population divergence in a passerine bird. Science 295: 316–318. , , , , , , &
- 2005.Adaptive sex differences in growth of pre-ovulation oocytes in a passerine bird. Proc. Roy. Soc. Biol. Sci. 1577: 2165–2172. , , , , &
- 2001. The evolution of sexual size dimorphism in the house finch: III. Developmental basis. Evolution 55: 176–189. , &
- 1984. Regulation of the follicular hierarchy and ovulation. J. Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 232: 495–500. &
- 1991. The receptor for yolk lipoprotein deposition in the chicken oocyte. J. Biol. Chem. 266: 18761–18770. , , &
- 2003a. First evidence of sex differences in the duration of avian embryonic period: consequences for sibling competition in sexually dimorphic birds. Behav. Ecol. 14: 702–706. , , , &
- 2003b. Mass provisioning to different-sex eggs within the laying sequence: consequences for adjustment of reproductive effort in a sexually dimorphic bird. J. Anim. Ecol. 72: 831–838. , , , &
- 1986. Influence of sibling competition on nestling sex ratios of sexually dimorphic birds. Am. Nat. 127: 495–507.
- 1992. Sex differences in incubation length and hatching weights of broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 71: 1933–1938.
- 2004. Sex allocation within broods: the intrabrood sharing-out hypothesis. Behav. Ecol. 15: 223–232.
- 2001. Follicular development and plasma yolk precursor dynamics through the laying cycle in the European starling (Sturnus vulgaris). Phys. Biochem. Zool. 74: 356–365. , , &
- 1996. Expression of inhibin alpha and inhibin/activin beta (3) subunits in the granulosa layer of the large preovulatory follicles of the hen. Biol. Reprod. 55: 450–454. &
- 1981. Avian breeding adaptations: hatching asynchrony, brood reduction, and nest failure. Quart. Rev. Biol. 56: 253–277. &
- 1990. Sexual segregation in the left and right horns of the gerbil uterus: “The male embryo is usually on the right, the female on the left” (Hippocrates). Dev. Psychobiol. 23: 29–37. &
- 1995. Prenatal influences on reproductive life history strategies. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 151–153. &
- 2000. Sexual dimorphism in house sparrow eggs. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 48: 353–357. , , and
- 2001. Seasonal variation in sex ratio and sexual egg dimorphism favouring daughters in first clutches of the spotless starling. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 829–834. , , &
- 1993. Covariances between traits deriving from successive allocations of a resource. Funct. Ecol. 7: 75–83.
- 1990. Adaptive seasonal variation in the sex ratio of kestrel broods. Funct. Ecol. 4: 143–147. , &
- 2001. The control and function of agonism in avian broodmates. Adv. Study Behav. 30: 261–301.
- 1991. Sexual size dimorphism and sibling competition: implications for avian sex ratios. Am. Nat. 138: 623–641. , , , &
- 1996. Does sex-biased hatching order in bald eagles vary with food resources? Ecoscience 3: 252–258. , &
- 1990. The ovulatory cycle of the hen. Poult. Biol. 2: 239–318.
- 1998. Experimental manipulation of egg quality in chickens: influence of albumen and yolk on the size and body composition of near-term embryos in a precocial bird. J. Comp. Physiol. 168: 17–24. , &
- 2000. Right-sided ovulation favours pregnancy more than left-sided ovulation. Hum. Reprod. 15: 1921–1926. , , &
- 1998. A DNA test to sex most birds. Molecular Ecology 7: 1071–1076. , , &
- 2005. Maternal hormones as a tool to adjust offspring phenotype in avian species. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 29: 329–352. , , , &
- 1996. The avian ovarian hierarchy: a balance between follicle differentiation and atresia. Poult. Avian Biol. Rev. 7: 99–110.
- 2000. Reproduction in the female. In: Sturkie's Avian Physiology (G. C.Whittow, ed.), pp. 569–596. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 2005. Patterns of secretion of immunoreactive inhibin/activin subunits by avian granulosa cells. Gen. Comp. Endocrin. 141: 233–239. , &
- 1993. Characterization of a source and levels of plasma immunoreactive inhibin during the ovulatory cycle of the domestic hen. Biol. Reprod. 48: 262–267. , &
- 2003. An improved mathematical model of the ovulatory cycle of the laying hen. Br. Poult. Sci. 44: 752–760. &
- 1997. Extreme adaptive modification in sex ratio of the Seychelles warbler's eggs. Nature 385: 522–525. , , &
- 2002. Adaptive sex allocation in birds: the complexities of linking theory and practice. Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. Biol. Sci. 357: 373–380. &
- 1993. A new hypothesis on the evolution of sex determination in vertebrates; big females ZW, big males XY. Neth. J. Zool. 43: 260–273. &
- 1995. The developmental asynchrony hypothesis for sex ratios manipulations. J. Theor. Biol. 176: 273–280.
- 2002. Laying date and laying sequence influence the sex ratio of crimson rosella broods. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 51: 447–454. , , &
- 2004. Egg size and offspring performance in the collared flycatcher (Ficedula albicolis): a within-clutch approach. Oecologia 140: 52–60. , , , &
- 2001. Complex sex allocation in the laughing kookaburra. Behav. Ecol. 12: 524–533. , , , &
- 2002. Parentally biased favoritism: why should parents specialize in caring for different offspring? Philos. Trans. R. Soc.Biol. Sci. 357: 381–403.
- 2003. Ovarian follicle development in the laying hen is accompanied by divergent changes in inhibin A, inhibin B, activin A and follistatin production in granulosa and theca layers. J. Endocrin. 177: 45–55. , , &
- 2002. Sequential alternation of offspring sex from successive eggs by female green anoles, anoles carolinensis. Can. J. Zool. 80: 77–82. &
- 2003. Egg size and laying order in relation to offspring sex in the extreme sexually size dimorphic songlark, Cinclorhamphus cruralis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 54: 240–248. , &
- 1987. Sexual dimorphism in egg size and implications regarding facultative manipulation of sex in mountain white-crowned sparrows. Condor 89: 798–803. , &
- 1991. Variation in eggs and the period of rapid yolk deposition of the silver gull Larus novaehollandiae during a protracted laying season. J. Zool. 223: 501–508.
- 1997. The Evolution of Sibling Rivalry. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 2005. Within clutch co-variation of egg mass and sex in the black-headed gull. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 661–668. , , , &
- 1999. Experimental demonstration that offspring sex ratio varies with maternal condition. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 570–573. , , , &
- 1996. Sexual dimorphism in sea lion pups: differential maternal investment, or sex-specific differences in energy allocation? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 38: 31–41. &
- 1998. Influence of intrauterine blood supply on cranial growth and sexual dimorphism at birth. Growth Dev. Aging 62: 187–198. , &
- 2001. Sex differences in avian yolk hormone levels. Nature 412: 498. , , &
- 2003. Potential mechanisms of avian sex manipulation. Biol. Rev. 78: 553–574. &
- 1983. Balanced sex ratios in dimorphic altricial birds: the contribution of sex-specific growth dynamics. Am. Nat. 121: 158–171.
- 1993. Sibling competition, hatching asynchrony, incubation period, and lifespan in altricial birds. Curr. Ornithol. 11: 199–276.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories: Theory and Analysis. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 2005. Sex-specific patterns of yolk androgen allocation depend on maternal diet in the zebra finch. Behav. Ecol. 16: 62–69. , , &
- 2002. Intrauterine position effects. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 26: 665–678. &
- 2002. Carotenoid concentration in barn swallow eggs is influenced by laying order, maternal infection and paternal ornamentation. Proc. R. Soc. Biol. Sci. 269: 1729–1733. , , , , &
- 2003.Maternal antibodies but not carotenoids in barn swallow eggs covary with embryo sex. J. Evol. Biol. 7, 516–522. , , , &
- 2002. Vitellogenin dynamics during egg-laying; daily variation, repeatability and relationship with egg size. J. Avian Biol. 33: 391–398. &
- 1997. A hormonal mechanism for parental favoritism. Nature 386: 231. , &
- 1990. Fisher's sex ratio theory may explain hatching patterns in birds. Evolution 44: 1009–1017.
- 2004. Yolk testosterone organizes behavior and male plumage coloration in house sparrows (Passer domesticus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 56: 491–497. &
- 1998. Effect of supplementing the hen's diet with vitamin A on the accumulation of vitamins A and E, ascorbic acid and carotenoids in the egg yolk and in the embryonic liver. Br. Poult. Sci. 39: 257–263. , , , , , , &
- 1981. Intra-sex and inter-sex sibling interactions as sex ratio determinants. Nature 291: 64–66.
- 2003. Viviparity as a constraint on sex-ratio evolution. Evolution 57: 927–931.
- 2006.Sex-specific sibling interactions and offspring fitness in vertebrates: patterns and implications for maternal sex ratios. Biol. Rev., in press.
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128: 137–142. &
- 1993. Increase in ovarian a-inhibin gene expression and plasma inmmunoreactive inhibin level is correlated with a decrease in ovulation rate in the domestic hen. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 91: 52–58. &
- 1983. The composition of petrel eggs. Condor 85: 194–199.
- 1939. Growth of the hen's ovum. J. Agric. Res. 58: 875–893. &
- 1935. The time factor in egg formation. Poult. Sci. 14: 195–207. &
- 1985. Sex ratios of red-winged blackbirds by egg size and laying sequence. Auk 102: 298–304.
- 1994. Intra-specific variation in egg size and egg composition in birds: effects of offspring fitness. Biol. Rev. 68: 35–59.
- 2005. Laying-sequence-specific variation in yolk estrogen levels, and relationship to plasma oestogen in female zebra finches (Taenipygia guttata). Proc. R. Soc. Biol. Sci. 272: 173–177. , , &
- 2003. Consequences of hierarchical allocation for the evolution of life-history traits. Am. Nat. 161: 153–167. , &
- 2001. Preovulatory follicles in the ovary as the source of circulating inhibin in the duck. Gen. Comp. Endocrin. 121: 156–162. , , , &
- 2004. Evolution of sex-biased maternal effects in birds: I. Sex-specific resource allocation among simultaneously maturing follicles. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 1355–1366. &
- 1999. Ovarian follicular development in young and old laying hens. Arch. Geflügelk. 63: 6–12.