Genetic and environmental variation in immune response of collared flycatcher nestlings
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 1701–1706, September 2006
How to Cite
CICHOŃ, M., SENDECKA, J. and GUSTAFSSON, L. (2006), Genetic and environmental variation in immune response of collared flycatcher nestlings. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 1701–1706. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01110.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2006
- Received 10 January 2006; revised 24 January 2006; accepted 30 January 2006
- 2003. Assessing the cost of mounting an immune response. Am. Nat. 161: 367–379. , , , , , &
- 1999. Immunocompetence of nestling great tits in relation to rearing environment and parentage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 266: 2315–2322. , , &
- 1994. Evolution in Age-Structured Populations. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1991. Estimates of quantitative genetic parameters of immunological traits in the chicken. Poult. Sci. 70: 2023–2027. , &
- 1988. Genetic analysis of immunocompetence measures in a white leghorn chicken line. Poult. Sci. 67: 989–995. &
- 2000. Genetic and environmental components of phenotypic variation in immune response and body size of a colonial bird, Delichon urbica (the house martin). Heredity 85: 75–83. , , &
- 2005. Cell-mediated immunity predicts recruitment in nestling blue tits. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 962–966. &
- 1996. Sex ratio adjustment in relation to paternal attractiveness in a wild bird population. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93: 11723–11728. , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, London. &
- 1981. Body size, its heritability and influence on juvenile survival among great tits, Parus major. Ibis 123: 21–41.
- 1991. Nestling growth in the Great Tit. I. Heritability estimates under different environmental conditions. J. Evol. Biol. 3: 341–362. &
- 1985. Nutrition and Immunity. Academic Press, Orlando, FL, USA. , &
- 1997. Parasite-mediated natural selection. In: Host-parasite Evolution: General Principles and Avian Models (D. H.Clayton & J.Moore, eds), pp. 9–29. Oxford University Press, UK. &
- 1978. Suppression of phytohaemagglutinin skin response in thymectomized chickens. Poult. Sci. 52: 246–250. , &
- 1989. Collared Flycatcher. In: Lifetime Reproduction in Birds (I.Newton, ed.), pp. 75–88. Academic Press, London.
- 1980. Sex versus non-sex versus parasites. Oikos 35: 282–290.
- 1982. Heritable true fitness and bright birds: a role for parasites? Science 218: 384–387. &
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130: 195–204.
- 1999. Immune function and survival of great tit nestlings in relation to growth conditions. Oecologia 121: 316–322. , &
- 1994. Direct and correlated responses to multitrait, divergent selection for immunocompetence. Poult. Sci. 73: 18–32. , , &
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104: 116–121. &
- 1993. Relationship between protein nutritional status and immunocompetence in northern bobwhite chicks. Auk 110: 503–510. , &
- 1996. Genetic variation in offspring condition: an experiment. Funct. Ecol. 10: 465–474.
- 2003. Natural selection on immune responsiveness in blue tits Parus caeruleus. Evolution 57: 1670–1678. &
- 1996. Immunology. Mosby, London. , &
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nestling barn swallows in relation to brood size and parental effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 2003. Immune response covaries with corticosterone plasma levels under experimentally stressful conditions in nestling barn swallows (Hirundo rustica). Behav. Ecol. 14: 318–325. , , , &
- SAS Institute Inc. 2000. SAS/STAT User's Guide. Version 8.2. SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- 2003. Environmental, genetic and maternal components of immunocompetence of nestling pied flycatchers from a cross-fostering study. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5: 259–272. , &
- 1997. Genetics of host-parasite interactions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12: 196–200. , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, UK.
- 1987. Major histocompatibility B complex and sex effects on the phytohemagglutinin wattle response. Anim. Genet. 18: 343–350. , , &
- 2000a. Environmental and genetic variation in T-cell-mediated immune response of fledgling American kestrels. Oecologia 123: 453–459. , , &
- 2000b. The T-cell-mediated immune response and return rate of fledgling American kestrels are positively correlated with parental clutch size. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 267: 891–895. , , &