Early maternal, genetic and environmental components of antioxidant protection, morphology and immunity of yellow-legged gull (Larus michahellis) chicks
Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 1571–1584, September 2006
How to Cite
RUBOLINI, D., ROMANO, M., BONISOLI ALQUATI, A. and SAINO, N. (2006), Early maternal, genetic and environmental components of antioxidant protection, morphology and immunity of yellow-legged gull (Larus michahellis) chicks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 1571–1584. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01121.x
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2006
- Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2006
- Received 13 December 2005; revised 21 February 2006; accepted 28 February 2006
- 1990. A comparison of yolk growth rates in seabird eggs. Ibis 132: 380–394. &
- 1997. Life-history consequences of egg size in Drosophila melanogaster. Am. Nat. 150: 250–282. , &
- 2003. Traceability of inbred and crossbred Cinta Senese pigs by evaluating the oxidative stress. J. Vet. Med. A 50: 113–116. , , , , &
- 1996. Maternal effects in animal ecology. Am. Zool. 36: 83–105.
- 2005. Effects of carotenoid availability during laying on reproduction in the blue tit. Oecologia 144: 32–44. , &
- 2004. Carotenoids and life-history evolution in animals. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 430: 10–15.
- 2002. Carotenoids and egg quality in the lesser black-backed gull Larus fuscus: a supplemental feeding study of maternal effects. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 29–36. , , , , , &
- 2003. Carotenoid modulation of immune function and sexual attractiveness in zebra finches. Science 300: 125–127. , , &
- 2004. Egg-laying capacity is limited by carotenoid pigment availability in wild gulls Larus fuscus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: S79–S81. , , &
- 1997. Reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in inflammatory diseases. J. Clin. Periodontol. 24: 287–296.
- 2004. Carotenoid action on the immune response. J. Nutr. 134: 257S–261S. &
- 2000. Genetic and environmental components of phenotypic variation in immune response and body size of a colonial bird, Delichon urbica (the house martin). Heredity 85: 75–83. , , &
- 2002. Avian egg size: variation within species and inflexibility within individuals. Biol. Rev. 77: 1–26.
- 2001. Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of some food supplements in men and women using the D-Roms test as a marker of oxidative stress. J. Nutr. 131: 3208–3211. , , , &
- 1998. The Complete Birds of the Western Palearctic on CD-ROM. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1993. GLIM for ecologists. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 2003. Atlantic salmon growth in strongly food-limited environments: effects of egg size and paternal phenotype? Environ. Biol. Fish. 67: 263–268.
- 2001. Maternal androgens in black-headed gull (Larus ridibundus) eggs: consequences for chick development. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 839–846. , , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, New York, USA. &
- 2006. Differential effects of egg albumen content on barn swallow nestlings in relation to hatch order. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 981–993. , &
- 1998. Experimental manipulation of egg quality in chickens: influence of albumen and yolk on the size and body composition of near-term embryos in a precocial birds. J. Comp. Physiol. 168: 17–24. , &
- 2003. Fitness consequences of temperature-mediated egg size plasticity in a butterfly. Funct. Ecol. 17: 803–810. , , &
- 2000. Natural selection on seed-beetle egg size in nature and the laboratory: variation among environments. Ecology 81: 3029–3035.
- 1998. Maternal effects as adaptations for transgenerational phenotypic plasticity in insects. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 159–177. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1997. Egg size plasticity in a seed beetle: an adaptive maternal effect. Am. Nat. 149: 149–163. , &
- 2005. Maternal hormones as a tool to adjust offspring phenotype in avian species. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 29: 329–352. , , , &
- 1999. Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 2000. Is asynchronous hatching adaptive in herring gulls (Larus argentatus)? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 47: 304–311. , &
- 1991. Fitness consequences of variation in egg size and food abundance in brook trout Salvelinus fontinalis. Evolution 45: 1162–1168.
- 2003. Direct yolk sac manipulation of zebrafish embryos and the relationship between offspring size and yolk sac volume. J. Fish Biol. 63: 388–397. &
- 2003. Use of lycopene, an antioxidant carotenoid, in laying hens for egg yolk pigmentation. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 16: 1799–1803. , , , &
- 1992. Greater maternal investment can decrease offspring survival in the frog Bombina orientalis. Ecology 73: 280–288.
- 2005. Embryonic development within carotenoid-enriched eggs influences the post-hatch carotenoid status of the chicken. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 141: 244–251. , , &
- 1977. Avian energetics. In: Granivorous Birds in Ecosystems (J.Pinowski & S. C.Kendeigh, eds), pp. 127–204. Cambridge University Press, New York. , &
- 2003. Maternal carotenoid status modifies the incorporation of dietary carotenoids into immune tissues of growing chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus). J. Nutr. 133: 1132–1138. , , &
- 2003. Egg production, egg quality, and lipid peroxidation status in laying hens maintained at a low ambient temperature (6 °C) and fed a vitamin C and vitamin E-supplemented diet. Vet. Med. Czech. 48: 33–40. , , , , , &
- 2001. Genetic differentiation and phylogeography of gulls in the Larus cachinnans-fuscus group. Mol. Ecol. 10: 2447–2462. , &
- 2004. Effects of supplemental vitamin E during the laying period on the reproductive performance of Taiwan native chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 45: 807–814. , &
- 2000. Maternally derived yolk testosterone enhances the development of the hatching muscle in the red-winged blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 2005–2010. &
- 1996. SAS System for Mixed Models. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA. , , &
- 1993. Relationship between protein nutritional status and immunocompetence in northern Bobwhite chicks. Auk 110: 503–510. , &
- 2003. Interpopulational egg-size variation of a landlocked Rhinobius goby related to the risk of larval starvation. Environ. Biol. Fish. 67: 223–230. , &
- 1998. Genetic variation and causes of genotype-environment interaction in body size of blue tits. Genetics 148: 1233–1244. &
- 1999. Genetic variation and natural selection on blue tit body condition in different environments. Genet. Res. 73: 165–176. , &
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1975. Asynchronous hatching and chick mortality in the herring gull Larus argentatus. Ibis 117: 517–520.
- 1998. Maternal and paternal effects in birds: effects on offspring fitness. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 202–226. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1999. Vitamins and brain development. Physiol. Res. 48: 175–187.
- 2001. Maternal derived androgens and antioxidants in bird eggs: complementary but opposing effects? Behav. Ecol. 12: 381–385. , &
- 2005. Effects of elevated egg corticosterone levels on behavior, growth, and immunity of yellow-legged gull (Larus michaellis) chicks. Horm. Behav. 47: 592–605. , , , , , , &
- 2006a. Effects of elevated yolk testosterone levels on survival, growth and immunity of male and female yellow-legged gull chicks. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 59: 344–352. , , &
- 2006b. Effects of prenatal yolk androgens on armaments and ornaments of the ring-necked pheasant. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 59: 549–560. , , , &
- 2000. How costly is clutch formation in the Audouin's Gull Larus audouinii? J. Avian Biol. 31: 467–575. , , , &
- 2002. Protective role of supplemental vitamin E and selenium on lipid peroxidation, vitamin E, vitamin A, and some mineral concentrations of Japanese quails reared under heat stress. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 85: 59–70. , , &
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nestling barn swallows in relation to brood size and paternal effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 2002. Carotenoid concentration in barn swallow eggs is influenced by laying order, maternal infection and paternal ornamentation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 1729–1733. , , , , &
- 2003. Experimental manipulation of egg carotenoids affects immunity of barn swallow nestlings. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2485–2489. , , , &
- 2004. Timing of reproduction and egg quality covary with temperature in the insectivorous barn swallow, Hirundo rustica. Funct. Ecol. 18: 50–57. , , , &
- 2005. Stressed mothers lay eggs with high corticosterone levels which produce low-quality offspring. J. Exp. Zool. 303: 998–1006. , , , &
- 1993. The effect of offspring size on physiology and life history. Bioscience 43: 210–218.
- 1990. Allometric engineering: an experimental test of the causes of interpopulation differences in locomotor performance. Science 252: 1300–1302. &
- 2001. Influence of high vitamin E dosages on retinol and carotenoid concentration in body tissues and eggs of laying hens. Arch. Tierernahr. 55: 43–52. &
- 2003. Natural Antioxidants in Avian Nutrition and Reproduction. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham.
- 2001. Comparative evaluation of the effects of two maternal diets on fatty acids, vitamin E and carotenoids in the chick embryo. Br. Poult. Sci. 42: 252–259. &
- 1999. Carotenoid distribution in tissues of the laying hen depending on their dietary supplementation. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 58: 30A. , , &
- 2001a. Carotenoids in avian nutrition and embryonic development: 1. Absorption, availability and levels in plasma and yolk. J. Poult. Sci. 38: 1–27. , &
- 2001b. Carotenoids in avian nutrition and embryonic development: 2. Antioxidant properties and discrimination in embryonic tissues. J. Poult. Sci. 38: 117–145. , &
- 2003. Effect of canthaxanthin content of the maternal diet on the antioxidant system of the developing chick. Br. Poult. Sci. 44: 612–619. , , , , &
- 2000. Experimental excursions on adaptive landscapes: density-dependent selection on egg size. Evolution 54: 1396–1403. &
- 2005. Intra-specific variations of egg size, clutch size and larval survival related to maternal size in amphidromous Rhinogobius goby. Environ. Biol. Fish. 73: 379–389. &
- 2002. Is cell-mediated immunity related to the evolution of life-history strategies in birds? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 1059–1066. , &
- 2002. Egg size variation and its relationship with larval performance in the Lepidoptera: the case of the European grapevine moth Lobesia botrana. Oikos 99: 272–283. &
- 2001. Oxidative stress and a thrombophilic condition in alcoholics without severe liver disease. Haematologica 86: 85–91. , , , , , &
- 2005. Intra-specific interactions influence egg composition in the lesser black-backed gull (Larus fuscus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 57: 357–365. , , , , , &
- 1998. The evolutionary genetics of maternal effects. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 5–21. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1998. Effects of male genetic contribution and paternal investment to egg and hatchling size in the cricket, Gryllus firmus. J. Evol. Biol. 11: 135–146. , &
- 1994. Intraspecific variation in egg size and egg composition: effects on offspring fitness. Biol. Rev. 68: 35–59.