Modelling social evolution: the relative merits and limitations of a Hamilton's rule-based approach
Article first published online: 11 AUG 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 1419–1422, September 2006
How to Cite
WENSELEERS, T. (2006), Modelling social evolution: the relative merits and limitations of a Hamilton's rule-based approach. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 1419–1422. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01144.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 11 AUG 2006
- 1998. The unit of selection in viscous populations and the evolution of altruism. J. Ther. Biol. 193: 631–648. &
- 1978. A generalised war of attrition. J. Theor. Biol. 70: 85–124. &
- 1994. Theoretical Evolutionary Ecology. Sinauer Associates Publishers, Sunderland, MA.
- 1978. Darwinian selection and altruism. Theor. Popul. Biol. 14: 268–280. &
- 1999. A little more than kind and less than kin: the unwarranted use of kin selection in spatial models of communication. Adv. Artif. Life 1674: 504–513.
- 2004. The evolutionary origin of cooperators and defectors. Science 306: 859–862. , &
- 1972. On the neighbor effect and the evolution of altruistic traits. Theor. Popul. Biol. 3: 258–277.
- 2006. A general model for the evolution of mutualisms. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1275–1282. &
- 2006. Kin selection is the key to altruism. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21: 57–60. , &
- 1997. The Price Equation, Fisher's fundamental theorem, kin selection, and causal analysis. Evolution 51: 1712–1729.
- 1998. The Foundations of Social Evolution. Monographs in Behavior and Ecology, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1987. The evolution of clutch size in parasitic waSPS. Am. Nat. 129: 221–233.
- 1979. The hawk-dove game played between relatives. Anim. Behav. 27: 905–907.
- 1985. A geometric view of relatedness. Oxf. Surv. Evol. Biol. 2: 28–29.
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour. I & II. J. Theor. Biol. 7: 1–52.
- 1995. Narrow Roads of Gene Land. Vol. 1. Evolution of Social Behaviour. W.H. Freeman, New York.
- 2004. Spatial structure often inhibits the evolution of cooperation in the snowdrift game. Nature 428: 643–646. &
- 2006. The evolution of cooperation and altruism - a general framework and a classification of models. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1365–1376. &
- 1982. Evolution and the Theory of Games. Cambridge University Press, New York.
- 1982. The theory of kin selection. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 13: 23–55.
- 1993. The spatial dilemmas of evolution. Int. J. Bifurcat. Chaos 3: 35–78. &
- 2002. A mechanism for the evolution of altruism among nonkin: positive assortment through environmental feedback. Am. Nat. 160: 205–213. &
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227: 520–521.
- 1984. Kin selection and frequency-dependence – a game theoretic approach. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 23: 133–143.
- 1985. Kinship, reciprocity and synergism in the evolution of social behavior. Nature 318: 366–367.
- 2006. Conflict resolution in insect societies. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 51: 581–608. , &
- 2004. Genetic Structure and Selection in Subdivided Populations. Princeton University Press Monographs in Population Biology, Princeton, New Jersey.
- 2003. Selection and drift in subdivided populations: a straightforward method for deriving diffusion approximations and applications involving dominance, selfing and local extinctions. Genetics 165: 2153–2166. &
- 2004. The robustness of Hamilton's rule with inbreeding and dominance: kin selection and fixation probabilities under partial sib mating. Am. Nat. 164: 214–231. &
- 2001. An introduction to the evolutionary modelling of conflict. In: Proceedings of the EU ‘INSECTS’ Training Workshop on the Mathematical Modelling of Social Behaviour, pp. 21–53. Great Hucklow, UK, 14–18 September 2001.
- 2001. Towards a General Theory of Conflict: The Sociobiology of Mendelian Segregation. In: Chapter 9. Conflict from Cell to Colony, pp. 163–173. PhD thesis, University of Leuven, Belgium. , &
- 2003. Caste fate conflict in swarm-founding social Hymenoptera: an inclusive fitness analysis. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 647–658. , &
- 2004a. When resistance is useless: policing and the evolution of reproductive acquiescence in insect societies. Am. Nat. 164: E154–E167. , &
- 2004b. Worker reproduction and policing in insect societies: an ESS analysis. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 1035–1047. , , &