Relative number of generations of hosts and parasites does not influence parasite local adaptation in coevolving populations of bacteria and phages
Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 6, pages 1956–1963, November 2006
How to Cite
MORGAN, A. D. and BUCKLING, A. (2006), Relative number of generations of hosts and parasites does not influence parasite local adaptation in coevolving populations of bacteria and phages. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 1956–1963. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01148.x
- Issue online: 22 MAY 2006
- Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2006
- Received 1 March 2006; revised 5 April 2006; accepted 11 April 2006
- 2002. Infection genetics: gene-for-gene versus matching-alleles models and all points in between. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 79–90. &
- 2003. Population mixing accelerates coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 6: 975–979. , , &
- 2002. Antagonistic coevolution between a bacterium and a bacteriophage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 269: 931–936. &
- 1994. Virulence and local adaptation of a horizontally transmitted parasite. Science 265: 1084–1086.
- 1994. Recognition and polymorphism in host–parasite genetics. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 346: 283–293.
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host–parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host-parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, mutation, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 451–462. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser., B, Biol. Sci. 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1994. Recognition, Attachment and Injection. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA. , &
- 1980. Sex vs. non-sex vs. parasite. Oikos 35: 282–290.
- 1998. Local adaptation in host–parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53: 395–407. , , &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1991. Long-term experimental evolution in Escherichia coli. 1. Adaptation and divergence during 2000 generations. Am. Nat. 138: 1315–1341. , , &
- 1989. Adaptation by a parasitic trematode to local populations of its snail host. Evolution 43: 1663–1671.
- 1999. Migration, virulence, and the geographic mosaic of adaptation by parasites. Am. Nat. 153: S34–S47.
- 2000. Parasite adaptation to locally common host genotypes. Nature 405: 679–681. &
- 1996. Parasite–host coevolution and geographic patterns of parasite infectivity and host susceptibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 263: 119–128. , &
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host–parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 1989. Antagonistic co-evolution and the evolution of genotypic randomization. J. Theor. Biol. 140: 499–518.
- 1985. Local-population differentiation for compatibility in an annual legume and its host-specific fungal pathogen. Evolution 39: 713–723.
- 1989. Disease impact and local genetic diversity in the clonal plant Podophyllum peltatum. Evolution 43: 540–547.
- 1994. Pathogens and sex in plants. Evol. Ecol. 8: 560–584.
- 1996. Physical and genetic map of the Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 chromosome. Mol. Microbiol. 19: 521–533. &
- 2000. Host–parasite coevolution in a multilocus gene-for-gene system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 267: 2183–2188.
- 1995. Biometry. W.H.Freeman, San Francisco. &
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1992. Gene-for-gene coevolution between plants and parasites. Nature 360: 121–125. &