Kinds of kindness: classifying the causes of altruism and cooperation
Article first published online: 11 AUG 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 1377–1379, September 2006
How to Cite
VAN BAALEN, M. and JANSEN, V. A. A. (2006), Kinds of kindness: classifying the causes of altruism and cooperation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 1377–1379. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01176.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 11 AUG 2006
- 1981. The evolution of cooperation. Science 211: 1390–1396. &
- 2004. Altruism via kin-selection strategies that rely on arbitrary tags with which they coevolve. Evolution 58: 1833–1838. , &
- 1998. The unit of selection in viscous populations and the evolution of altruism. J. Theor. Biol. 143: 631–648. &
- 2003. Common language or Tower of Babel? On the evolutionary dynamics of signals and their meaning. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 270: 69–76. &
- 2006. Evolution of cooperative strategies from first principles. Nature 440: 1041–1044. &
- 2005. Models of cooperation based on the Prisoner's Dilemma and the Snowdrift game. Ecol. Lett. 8: 748–766. &
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour. I and II. J. Theor. Biol. 7: 1–52.
- 2006. Evolution of cooperation when cooperation is expensive. Theor. Pop. Biol. 69: 333–338. &
- 2006. Altruism through beard chromodynamics. Nature 440: 663–666. &
- 2006. The evolution of cooperation and altruism. A general framework and a classification of models. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1365–1376. &
- 1989. Evolutionary Genetics. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2001. Evolution of cooperation without reciprocity. Nature 414: 441–443. , &
- 2000. A theoretical basis for measures of kin selection in subdivided populations: finite populations and localized dispersal. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 814–825. &
- 1996. How to make a kin selection model. J. Theor. Biol. 54: 1135–1141. &
- 2003. Minimal model for tag based cooperation. Physical Review E 68: 046129. &
- 1971. The evolution of reciprocal altruism. Q. Rev. Biol. 46: 35–57.