Substantial changes in the genetic basis of tadpole morphology of Rana lessonae in the presence of predators
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 19, Issue 6, pages 1813–1818, November 2006
How to Cite
KRAFT, P. G., WILSON, R. S., FRANKLIN, C. E. and BLOWS, M. W. (2006), Substantial changes in the genetic basis of tadpole morphology of Rana lessonae in the presence of predators. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 19: 1813–1818. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01185.x
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2006
- Received 2 January 2006; revised 27 April 2006; accepted 16 May 2006
- 2002. Ecological genetics of an induced plant defense against herbivores: additive genetic variance and costs of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 56: 2206–2213. , , &
- 1994. Artificial fertilization of water frogs. Amph. Rept. 15: 408–413. , &
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genet. 13: 115–155.
- 1992. Predator-induced phenotypical change in body morphology in crucian carp. Science 258: 1348–1350. &
- 1982. Disruptive selection: a tail color polymorphism in Arcis tadpoles in response to differential predation. Cann. J. Zool. 60: 2818–2827.
- 1980. Predator–prey relationships among larval dragonflies, salamanders, and frogs. Oecologia 46: 285–289. , &
- 2004. On the rate and linearity of viability declines in Drosophila mutation-accumulation experiments: genomic mutation rates and synergistic epistasis revisited. Genetics 166: 797–806.
- 1992. Quantitative genetics and the evolution of reaction norms. Evolution 46: 390–411. &
- 1986. The ecology and evolution of inducible defenses in a marine bryozoan: cues. Am. Nat. 128: 810–823.
- 1990. The evolution of inducible defence. Parasitology 100 (Suppl.): S53–S61.
- 2004. Direct estimation of genetic principal components: simplified analysis of complex phenotypes. Genetics 168: 2295–2306. &
- 1985. Evolution of mating preference and sexual dimorphism. J. Theor. Biol. 11: 651–664. &
- 2000. Behavioural responses to predator chemical cues and local variation in antipredator performance in Rana temporaria tadpoles. Oikos 88: 159–168.
- 1997. Different antipredator behaviour in two anuran tadpoles: effects of predator diet. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 40: 329–336. , &
- 2002. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporaria populations. Evolution 56: 617–627. , &
- 1986. Predator-induced shell dimorphism in the acorn barnacle Chthamalus. Evolution 40: 232–242.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts, 980 pp. &
- 1997. Predator-induced morphological changes in an amphibian: predation by dragonflies affects tadpole shape and color. Oecologia 109: 615–621. &
- 1996. Costs and benefits of a predator-induced polyphenism in the gray treefrog Hyla chrysoscelis. Evolution 50: 583–593. &
- 2005. Restricted maximum likelihood estimation of genetic principal components and smoothed covariance matrices. Gen. Sel. Evol. 37: 1–30. &
- 1992. Adaptive plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis: response of Scaphiopus hammondii tadpoles to habitat desiccation. Bioscience 49: 671–678.
- 2000. Character displacement in polyphenic tadpoles. Evolution 54: 1738–1749. &
- 1999. Genes affecting phenotypic plasticity in Arabidopsis: pleiotropic effects and reproductive fitness of photomorphogenic mutants. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 551. &
- 2002. Costs of phenotypic plasticity. Am. Nat. 159: 272–282.
- 2005. The heritability of inducible defenses in tadpoles. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 856–866.
- 1999. Quantifying the relation between predator-induced behavior and growth performance in larval anurans. Ecology 80: 2117–2124. &
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24: 35–68.
- 1989. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. I. J. Evol. Biol. 2: 95–107. &
- 1984. Phenotypic plasticity in annual phlox: tests of some hypotheses. Am. J. Bot. 7: 252–260. &
- 1986. Phenotypic plasticity: an evolving plant character. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 29: 37–47. &
- 1995. Gene regulation, quantitative genetics and the evolution of reaction norms. Evol. Ecol. 9: 154–168. &
- 1991. The comparison of quantitative genetic parameters between populations. Evolution 45: 143–151.
- 1991. Evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially heterogeneous environments. Evolution 45: 1317–1331.
- 1999. The Ecology and Evolution of Inducible Defences. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. &
- 2000. Influence of tail shape on tadpole swimming performance. J. Exp. Biol. 203: 2149–2158. &
- 1998. Selection for phenotypic plasticity in Rana sylvatica tadpoles. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 65: 301–328. &
- 2000. The costs of an inducible defense in anuran larvae. Ecology 81: 2813–2821. &
- 2001. Delayed costs of an induced defense in tadpoles? Morphology, hopping, and development rate at metamorphosis. Evolution 55: 821–829. &
- 2000. Predator-induced phenotypic plasticity in larval newts: trade-offs, selection, and variation in nature. Ecology 81: 3009–3028. &
- 1997. Natural selection for environmentally induced phenotypes in tadpoles. Evolution 51: 1983–1992. , &
- 2003. The lure effect, tadpole tail shape, and the target of dragonfly strikes. J. Herp. 37: 420–424. , , , &
- 1987. Evolution of genetic variability in a spatially heterogenous environment: effects of genotype–environment interaction. Gen. Res. 49: 147–156. &
- 1994. Parent-offspring regressions and extreme environments. Heredity 72: 574–581.
- 1996. Predator-mediated selection on burstswimming performance in tadpoles of the Pacific Tree Frog, Pseudacris regilla. Phys. Zool. 69: 154–167.
- 2005. Predator-specific changes in the morphology and swimming performance of larval Rana lessonae. Funct. Ecol. 19: 238–244. , &