Long day plants and the response to global warming: rapid evolutionary change in day length sensitivity is possible in wild beet
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 349–357, January 2007
How to Cite
VAN DIJK, H. and HAUTEKÈETE, N. (2007), Long day plants and the response to global warming: rapid evolutionary change in day length sensitivity is possible in wild beet. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 349–357. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01192.x
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2006
- Received 15 March 2006; revised 31 May 2006; accepted 12 June 2006
- 2002. Gardening in the Global Greenhouse: The Impacts of Climate Change on Gardens in the UK. Technical Report. UKCIP, Oxford. &
- 2004. Multiple pathways in the decision to flower: enabling, promoting, and resetting. Plant Cell 16 (Suppl.): S18–S31. , , &
- 1994. Identification of RFLP markers closely linked to the bolting gene B and their significance for the study of the annual habit in beets (Beta vulgaris L.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 88: 852–858. , , , , &
- 2001. Vernalization requirement of wild beet Beta vulgaris ssp. maritima: among population variation and its adaptive significance. J. Ecol. 90: 693–703. , &
- 2001. Genetic shift in photoperiodic response correlated with global warming. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 98: 14509–14511. &
- 2003. Circadian rhythmicity and photoperiodism in the pitcher-plant mosquito: adaptive response to the photic environment or correlated response to the seasonal environment? Am. Nat. 161: 735–748. , &
- 2005. Slowing of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation at 25°N. Nature 438: 655–658. , &
- 2004. Epistatic interaction between Arabidopsis FRI and FLC flowering time genes generates a latitudinal cline in a life history trait. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 101: 15670–15675. , , , &
- 2003. Artificial selection: a powerful tool for ecologists. Ecology 84: 1650–1660.
- 2000. Causes of climate change over the past 1000 years. Science 289: 270–277.
- 2001. A QTL for flowering time in Arabidopsis reveals a novel allele of CRY2. Nat. Genet. 29: 435–440. , , , &
- 1989. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 3rd edn. Longman, Harlow, UK.
- 2002. Rapid changes in flowering time in British plants. Science 296: 1689–1691. &
- 1997. Dependence of the flower bud burst of some plant taxa in Finland on effective temperature sum: implications for climate warming. Ann. Bot. Fennici. 34: 229–243. &
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (ed.) 2002. Climate Change 2001: Synthesis Report. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1988. Latitudinal variation in reproductive timing of a short-lived monocarp, Daucus carota (Apiaceae). Ecology 69: 220–232.
- 2005. Diversity of flowering responses in wild Arabidopsis thaliana strains. PLoS Genet. 1: 109–118. , , , , &
- 1993. Beta section Beta: biogeographical patterns of variation and taxonomy. Thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University Papers 93–1, Wageningen.
- 2002. Estimated migration rates under scenarios of global climate change. J. Biogeogr. 29: 835–849. , , &
- 2002. Control of Flowering time: interacting pathways as a basis for diversity. Plant Cell 14 (Suppl.): S111–S130. , &
- 2001. The timing of life-history events in a changing climate. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 15–23. , , &
- 2004. It's time to flower: the genetic control of flowering time. BioEssays 26: 363–373. , &
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24: 35–68.
- 2004. Induction of flowering by seasonal changes in photoperiod. EMBO J. 23: 1217–1222. &
- 2002. Arabidopsis, the Rosetta stone of flowering time? Science 296: 285–289. &
- 1983. Influence of External Factors on Growth and Development of Sugar-Beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Agricultural Research Reports 914. Pudoc, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- 2002. Observed changes in seasons: an overview. Int. J. Climatol. 22: 1715–1725. ,
- 2004. A latitudinal cline in flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana modulated by the flowering time gene FRIGIDA. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 101: 4712–4717. , , , , , , &
- 1984. Juvenility, photoperiodism and vernalization. In: Advanced Plant Physiology (M. B.Wilkins, ed.), pp. 408–439. Pitman, London. &
- 1997. Photoperiodism in Plants. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. &
- 1999. European Beta: crops and their wild and weedy relatives. In: Plant Evolution in Man-Made Habitats (L. W. D.Van Raamsdonk & J. C. M.Den Nijs, eds), pp. 257–270. Hugo de Vries Laboratory, Amsterdam. &
- 1997. Flowering time in wild beet (Beta vulgaris ssp. maritima) along a latitudinal cline. Acta Oecol. 18: 47–60. , , &
- 2002. Ecological reponses to recent climate change. Nature 416: 389–395. , , , , , , , &
- 2005. An ecological ‘footprint’ of climate change. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 1427–1432. , &
- 1995. Predicting flowering of 130 plants at 8 locations with temperature and daylength. J. Range Manage. 48: 108–114.