Changed environmental conditions weaken sexual selection in sticklebacks
Article first published online: 29 AUG 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 233–239, January 2007
How to Cite
CANDOLIN, U., SALESTO, T. and EVERS, M. (2007), Changed environmental conditions weaken sexual selection in sticklebacks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 233–239. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01207.x
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 29 AUG 2006
- Received 30 May 2006; revised 19 June 2006; accepted 3 July 2006
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1992. Spatial variation in selective regimes – sexual selection in the water strider Gerris odontogaster. Evolution 46: 914–929.
- 2004. Twelve years of contemporary armor evolution in a threespine stickleback population. Evolution 58: 814–824. , &
- 2002. Are rocky shore ecosystems affected by nutrient-enriched seawater? Some preliminary results from a mesocosm experiment. Hydrobiology 484: 167–175. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Some ecological properties in relation to eutrophication in the Baltic Sea. Hydrobiology 475: 371–377. , &
- 2001. Divergent sexual selection enhances reproductive isolation in sticklebacks. Nature 411: 944–948.
- 1997. Predation risk affects courtship and attractiveness of competing threespine stickleback males. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41: 81–87.
- 1998. Reproduction under predation risk and the trade-off between current and future reproduction in the threespine stickleback. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 265: 1171–1175.
- 1999. The relationship between signal quality and physical condition: is sexual signalling honest in the three-spined stickleback? Anim. Behav. 58: 1261–1267.
- 2000. Changes in expression and honesty of sexual signalling over the reproductive lifetime of sticklebacks. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267: 2425–2430.
- 2003. The use of multiple cues in mate choice. Biol. Rev. 78: 575–595.
- 2004. Effects of algae cover on egg acquisition in male three-spined stickleback. Behaviour 141: 1389–1399.
- 1998. Predator-induced nest site preference: safe nests allow courtship in sticklebacks. Anim. Behav. 56: 1205–1211. &
- 2001a. Correlation between male size and territory quality: consequence of male competition or predation risk? Oikos 95: 225–230. &
- 2001b. No effect of a parasite on reproduction in stickleback males: a laboratory artefact? Parasitology 122: 457–464. &
- 1997. Density-related changes in sexual selection in red deer. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 264: 1509–1516. , &
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1995. Geographic variation in female preferences for male traits in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 49: 456–468. &
- 1958. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Dower, New York.
- 1993. The breeding colouration of male three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) as an indicator of energy investment in vigour. Evol. Ecol. 7: 439–450.
- 2001. Strength and tempo of directional selection in the wild. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98: 9157–9160. , , , , , , &
- 2002. Coevolution of costly mate choice and condition-dependent display of good genes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 269: 97–104. &
- 1953. An analyses of the parental behaviour of the male three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculetaus L.). Behaviour 3 (Suppl.): 1–159.
- 2004. Water turbidity by algal blooms causes mating system breakdown in a shallow-water fish, the sand goby Pomatoschistus minutus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 2361–2365. &
- 2001. Sexually selected traits and adult survival: a meta-analysis. Q. Rev. Biol. 76: 3–36. , &
- 2003. Sexy to die for? Sexual selection and the risk of extinction. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 40: 207–219. &
- 2002. Geographic variation in sexual selection among populations of an iguanid lizard, Sauromalus obesus. Evolution 56: 2039–2051. &
- 1980. Sexual dimorphism, sexual selection, and adaptation in polygenic characters. Evolution 34: 292–305.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation: a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 68: 619–640. &
- 2003. Condition-dependent sexual selection can accelerate adaptation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5: 867–881. , , &
- 1995. Video mate preferences of female three-spined sticklebacks from populations with divergent male coloration. Anim. Behav. 50: 1645–1655.
- 2002. Speciation in nature: the threespine stickleback model systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 480–488. &
- 2004. Evidence for ecology's role in speciation. Nature 429: 294–298. , , , , , , &
- 1999. Sexual selection and extinction: the fate of plumage-dimorphic and plumage-monomorphic birds introduced onto islands. Evol. Ecol. Res. 1: 549–565. , &
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43: 1209–1222. &
- 1999. Matings systems and the evolution of niche breadth. Am. Nat. 154: 89–98.
- 1991. Calling site choice by Hyla chrysoscelis: effect of predators, competitors, and oviposition sites. Ecology 72: 778–786. &
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42: 849–861.
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140: 85–108. &
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277: 1808–1811. , &
- 2005. Fighting success and attractiveness as predictors of male mating success in the black field cricket, Teleogryllus commodus: the effectiveness of no-choice tests. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 58: 1–8. , &
- 2001. Geographic variation in female preference functions and male songs of the field cricket Teleogryllus oceanicus. Evolution 55: 1386–1394. , &
- 1996. Sexual selection enhances population extinction in a changing environment. J. Theor. Biol. 180: 197–206.
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks, Gasterosteus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267: 2375–2384. &
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1976. The Biology of the Sticklebacks. Academic Press, London.