Present address: N. J. Barson, Biodiversity and Ecological Processes Group, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3TL, UK; M. E. Knight, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Plymouth, Plymouth PL4 8AA, UK.
The genetic architecture of male colour differences between a sympatric Lake Malawi cichlid species pair
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 45–53, January 2007
How to Cite
BARSON, N. J., KNIGHT, M. E. and TURNER, G. F. (2007), The genetic architecture of male colour differences between a sympatric Lake Malawi cichlid species pair. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 45–53. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01228.x
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2006
- Received 21 June 2006; revised 26 July 2006; accepted 28 July 2006
- 2003. Genetic basis of adaptive shape differences in the cichlid head. J. Hered. 94: 291–301. , &
- 2003. Divergent selection during speciation of Lake Malawi cichlid fishes inferred from parallel radiations in nuptial coloration. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100: 14074–14079. , , , &
- 2004. Sympatric speciation by sexual selection alone is unlikely. Evolution 58: 222–237. &
- 1950. An introduction to the study of the ethology of cichlid fishes. Behav. Suppl. 1: 1–242. &
- 1996. Sex determination studies in two species of teleost fish, Oreochromis niloticus and Leporinus elongatus. Zool. Stud. 35: 279–285. , , &
- 1921. An improved method of estimating the number of genetic factors concerned in cases of blending inheritance. Science 54: 223.
- 1986. Modifications in estimating the number of genes for a quantitative character. Genetics 114: 659–664.
- 1999. On the origin of species by sympatric speciation. Nature 400: 354–357. &
- 1984. Effects of sexual selection and life history on speciation: species flocks in African cichlids and Hawaiian Drosophila. In: Evolution of Species Flocks (A.A.Echelle & I.Kornfield, eds), pp. 231–249. University of Maine Press, Orono.
- 1992. Sexual lability in teleosts: developmental factors. Q. Rev. Biol. 67: 1–17.
- 1972. The Cichlid Fishes of the Great Lakes of Africa. Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh. &
- 2004). Beta diversity of rock-restricted cichlid fishes in Lake Malawi: importance of environmental and spatial factors. Ecography 27: 601–610. , , , , & (
- 2004. How do natural and sexual selection contribute to sympatric speciation? J. Evol. Biol. 17: 1297–1309.
- 2005. The inheritance of female mating preference in a sympatric sibling species pair of Lake Victoria cichlids: implications for speciation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 272: 237–245. &
- 1979. Sex determination in Sarotherodon (Tilapia). Part 2: the sex ratio as a tool for the determination of genotype - a model of autosomal and gonosomal influence. Theor. Appl. Genet. 55: 177–187. &
- 2004. Using nuclear haplotypes with microsatellites to study gene flow between recently separated cichlid species. Mol. Ecol. 13. 909–919. , , , &
- 1999. Sympatric speciation by sexual selection. Nature 402: 523–526. , &
- 2003. Different genes underlie adaptive melanism in different populations of rock pocket mice. Mol. Ecol. 12: 1185–1194. &
- 2004. Parallel evolution is in the genes. Science 303: 1779–1781. &
- 1999. Sexual Selection and Speciation in Lake Malawi Cichlids. PhD thesis. University of Southampton, United Kingdom.
- 2004. Laboratory mating trials indicate incipient speciation by sexual selection among populations of the cichlid fish Pseudotropheus zebra from Lake Malawi. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 271: 675–680. &
- 1998. Microsatellite paternity analysis on captive Lake Malawi cichlids supports reproductive isolation by direct mate choice. Mol. Ecol. 7: 1605–1610. , , , &
- 1995. Evidence for an unusual ZW/ZW′/ZZ sex-chromosome system in Scardinius eyrthrophtalmus (Pisces, Cyprinidae), as detected by cytogenetic and H-Y antigen analyses. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 71: 356–362. , , , &
- 1999. Interactions among quantitative traits in the course of sympatric speciation. Nature 400: 351–354. &
- 2001. Malawi Cichlids in Their Natural Habitat, 3rd edn. Cichlid Press, El Paso, Texas.
- 1997. Molecular systematics of a rapidly evolving species flock: the mbuna of Lake Malawi and the search doe phylogenetic signal. In: Molecular Systematics of Fishes (T.D.Kocher & C.A.Stepien, eds), pp. 25–37. Academic, New York. &
- 2000. African cichlid fishes: model systems for evolutionary biology. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31: 163–196. &
- 1981. The minimum number of genes contributing to quantitative variation between and within population. Genetics 99: 541–553.
- 2001. Mechanisms of rapid sympatric speciation by sex reversal and sexual selection in cichlid fish. Genetica 16: 1–9. , &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts. &
- 2006. Heritability and heterochrony of polychromatism in a Lake Victoria cichlid fish: stepping stones for speciation? J. Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 306B: 1–9. , , &
- 2004. Intraspecific sexual selection on a speciation trait, male coloration, in the Lake Victoria cichlid Pundamilia nyererei. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 271: 2445–2452. , , , , , , , &
- 1993. Retention of an ancestral polymorphism in the mbuna species flock (Teleostei: Cichlidae) of Lake Malawi. Mol. Biol. Evol. 10: 1015–1029. &
- 2004. Conserved genetic basis of a quantitative plumage trait involved in mate choice. Science 303: 1870–1873. , , , , &
- 2003. The genetic basis of adaptive melanism in pocket mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100: 5268–5273. , &
- 1998. Assortative mating among rock-dwelling cichlid fishes supports high estimates of species richness from Lake Malawi. Mol. Ecol. 7: 991–1001. , , , , , &
- 1980. Maintenance of the three sex chromosome polymorphism in the platyfish, Xiphohorus maculatus. Evolution 34: 663–672. , , , &
- 1997. Evolution of mitochondrial DNA control region in the mbuna (Cichlidae) species flock of Lake Malawi, East Africa. J. Mol. Evol. 45: 70–83. &
- 1994. Sympatric speciation suggested by monophyly of crater lake cichlids. Nature 368: 629–632. , &
- 1998. The effect of male coloration on female mate choice in closely related Lake Victoria cichlids (Haplochromis nyererei complex). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 42: 1–8. &
- 1999. Can sympatric speciation by disruptive sexual selection explain rapid evolution of cichlid diversity in Lake Victoria? Ecol. Lett. 2: 262–271. &
- 2004. Male–male competition and nuptial-colour displacement as a diversifying force in Lake Victoria cichlid fishes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 271: 1345–1353. &
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277: 1808–1811. , &
- 1999a. Evolution of colour patterns in East African cichlid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 514–534. , &
- 1999b. Color polymorphism and sex ratio distortion in a cichlid fish as an incipient stage in sympatric speciation by sexual selection. Ecol. Lett. 2: 367–378. , &
- 1996. Polygenic inheritance of a behavioral phenotype: interspecific genetics of song in the Hawaiian cricket genus Laupala. Evolution 50: 256–266.
- 2002. Divergence of mate recognition behavior and its consequences for genetic architecture of speciation. Am. Nat. 159: S61–S75. &
- 2000. Genetic population structure indicates sympatric speciation of Lake Malawi pelagic cichlids. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 267: 2273–2280. , , , &
- 2002. Phylogeography of Lake Malawi cichlids of the genus Pseudotropheus: significance of allopatric colour variation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 269: 2495–2502. &
- 2003. Genome mapping of the orange blotch colour pattern in cichlid fishes. Mol. Ecol. 12: 2465–2471. , &
- 1977. Analysis of head shape differences between two interfertile species of Hawaiian Drosophila. Evolution 31: 330–341.
- 1994. Speciation in Lake Malawi cichlids: a critical review. Arch. Hydrobiol. (Adv. Limnol.) 44: 139–160.
- 1995. A model of sympatric speciation by sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 260: 287–292. &
- 1998. Sympatric speciation and extinction driven by environment dependent sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 265: 1915–1919. , &
- 2005. On the origin of Lake Malawi cichlid species: a population genetic analysis of divergence. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 102 (Suppl. 1): 6581–6586. , , &
- 1952. The genetics of quantitative variability. In: Evolution and the Genetics of Populations (E.C.R.Reeve & C.H.Waddington, eds), pp. 5–41. Agricultural Research Council, Her Majesty's Stationary Office, London.
- 1992. Correcting the bias of Wright's estimates of the number of genes affecting a quantitative character: a further improved method. Genetics 131: 987–1001.