The origins of ecotypic variation of rainbow trout: a test of environmental vs. genetically based differences in morphology
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 725–736, March 2007
How to Cite
KEELEY, E. R., PARKINSON, E. A. and TAYLOR, E. B. (2007), The origins of ecotypic variation of rainbow trout: a test of environmental vs. genetically based differences in morphology. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 725–736. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01240.x
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2006
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2006
- Received 9 August 2006; accepted 12 August 2006
- 2003. Epigenetic regulation of trophic morphology through feeding behaviour in Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 78: 43–49. , &
- 2002. Relationship between individual variation in morphological characters and swimming costs in brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) and yellow perch (Perca flavescens). J. Exp. Biol. 205: 1031–1036. &
- 1979. Ferox trout, Salmo trutta (L.), and charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), in Scottish lochs. J. Fish Biol. 14: 1–29.
- 1990. Territory size as a predictor of the upper limit to population density of juvenile salmonids in streams. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 47: 1724–1737. &
- 1991. Systematics and distributions of dolly varden (Salvelinus malma) and bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) in North America. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 48: 2191–2211. &
- 1995. A quantitative genetic perspective on the conservation of intraspecific diversity. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 17: 304–326.
- 1999. Phenotypic and genetic architecture of juvenile morphometry in chinook salmon. J. Hered. 90: 597–606. , &
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity in brook charr: changes in caudal fin induced by water flow. J. Fish Biol. 61: 1171–1181. , &
- 1978. The Gerrard rainbow trout of Kootenay Lake, British Columbia – a discussion of their life history with management, research and enhancement recommendations. Prov. B.C. Fish. Manag. Rep. No. 72.
- 1993. Stopping rules in principal components analysis: a comparison of heuristical and statistical approaches. Ecology 74: 2204–2214.
- 2000. An experimental analysis of territory size in juvenile steelhead trout. Anim. Behav. 59: 477–490.
- 1997. Allometry of diet selectivity in juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 54: 1894–1902. &
- 2005. Ecotypic differentiation of native rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) populations from British Columbia. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62: 1523–1539. , &
- 1971. Prediction of growth efficiency in nature. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 28: 809–814.
- 1988. Interactions between brook trout and nonsalmonid species: ecological shift, morphological shift, and their impact on zooplankton communities. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45: 999–1009.
- 1995. Density-dependent survival as a function of size in juvenile salmonids in streams. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 52: 136–140. &
- 1986. Zoogeography of freshwater fishes of Cascadia (the Columbia system and rivers north to the Stikine). In: The Zoogeography of North American Freshwater Fishes (C. H.Horcutt & E. O.Wiley, eds), pp. 615–637. John Wiley and Sons, New York. &
- 1988. The biology and significance of stream trout populations (Salmo spp.) living above and below waterfalls. Pol. Arch. Hydrobiol. 35: 409–442. &
- 2001. Water velocity shapes juvenile salmonids. Evol. Ecol. 14: 721–730. &
- 1991. After the Ice Age, the Return of Life to Glaciated North America. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2002. Physiological performance of two forms of lacustrine brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis, in the open-water habitat. Environ. Biol. Fishes 64: 127–136. &
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 2002. Experimental Design and Data Analysis for Biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. &
- 1997. Evaluation of the rate of evolution in natural populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Science 275: 1934–1937. , , &
- 1981. Evidence of an adaptive basis for geographic variation in body morphology and time of downstream migration of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 38: 308–320. &
- 2002. Changing times, spaces, and faces: tests and implications of adaptive morphological plasticity in the fishes of northern postglacial lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59: 1819–1833. &
- 1994. Character release and displacement in fishes: a neglected literature. Am. Nat. 144: 596–627. &
- 2003. Morphometric variation of wild trout populations from northwestern Mexico (Pisces: Salmonidae). Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 13: 91–110. , , , &
- SAS Institute. 1999. SAS Online Doc, Version 8. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 2000. Predator size – prey size relationships of marine fish predators: interspecific variation and effects of ontogeny and body size on trophic-niche breadth. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 208: 229–248. , &
- 1995. Adaptive radiation in sticklebacks: trade-offs in feeding performance and growth. Ecology 76: 82–90.
- 1996. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 351: 807–814.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1973. Freshwater fishes of Canada. Bull. Fish. Res. Board Can. 184. Canadian Government Publishing Centre, Ottawa, ON. &
- 2005. Marine growth and morphometrics for three populations of Atlantic salmon from eastern Maine, USA. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 134: 775–788. , , , , &
- 1989. Ontogeny of trophic morphology in four sympatric morphs of arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in Thingvallavatn, Iceland. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 38: 281–301. , &
- 1993. Genetically based differences in foraging behaviour among sympatric morphs of arctic charr (Pisces: Salmonidae). Anim. Behav. 45: 1179–1192. , , &
- 1994. Trophic specialization in Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (Pisces; Salmonidae): morphological divergence and ontogenetic niche shifts. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 52: 1–18. , , , , , &
- 1989. Differences in morphology and behavior between juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) rearing in a lake and in its tributary stream. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 46: 1406–1414. &
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific salmon and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98: 185–207.
- 1999. Species pairs of north temperate freshwater fishes: evolution, taxonomy, and conservation. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 9: 299–324.
- 1985a. Variation in body morphology among British Columbia populations of coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 42: 2020–2028. & ,
- 1985b. Variation in burst and prolonged swimming performance among British Columbia populations of coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 42: 2029–2033. & ,
- 1976. Biometrical analysis of geographical variation and racial affinities. Biol. Rev. 51: 407–452.
- 2006. Both incubation temperature and posthatching temperature affect swimming performance and morphology of wood frog tadpoles (Rana sylvatica). Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 79: 140–149. &
- 2002. A model using phenotypic characteristics to detect introgressive hybridization in wild westslope cutthroat trout and rainbow trout. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 131: 389–403. , &