Foraging performance of diet-induced morphotypes in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) favours resource polymorphism
Article first published online: 2 OCT 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 673–684, March 2007
How to Cite
PARSONS, K. J. and ROBINSON, B. W. (2007), Foraging performance of diet-induced morphotypes in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) favours resource polymorphism. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 673–684. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01249.x
- Issue published online: 2 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 2 OCT 2006
- Received 20 April 2006; revised 5 July 2006; accepted 22 August 2006
- 1985. Seasonality in southern hemisphere freshwater phytoplankton assemblages. Hydrobiology 125: 179–190.
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography of Nearctic and Palearctic fishes. Mol. Ecol. 7: 431–452. &
- 1991. Morphometric Tools for Landmark Data: Geometry and Biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1992. Predator-induced phenotypic change in body morphology in crucian carp. Science 258: 1348–1350. &
- 1982. A neo-Darwinian commentary on macroevolution. Evolution 36: 474–498. , &
- 1996. The effect of behavioral and morphological plasticity on foraging efficiency in the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus sp.). Oecologia 108: 380–388. &
- 1994. A comparison of two sticklebacks. Evolution 48: 1723–1734. , &
- 2006. Parallelism in gene transcription among sympatric lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis Mitchell) ecotypes. Mol. Ecol. 15: 1239–1249. , &
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 77–81. , &
- 2000. Functional diversity among predators of a freshwater snail imposes an adaptive trade-off for shell morphology. Evol. Ecol. Res. 2: 129–148. , &
- 2000. Evidence of adaptive divergence in plasticity: density and site-dependent selection on shade avoidance responses in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 54: 1956–1968. , , , &
- 2001. Adaptive divergence in plasticity in natural populations of Impatiens capensis and its consequences for performance in novel habitats. Evolution 55: 692–702. , , , &
- 1989. Learning and individual variation in bluegill foraging: habitat specific techniques. Anim. Behav. 38: 643–658.
- 1993. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. V. Evolution of reaction norm shape. J. Evol. Biol. 6: 31–48. &
- 2003. Morphological and life-history differentiation between littoral and pelagic forms of pumpkinseed. J. Fish Biol. 62: 1099–1115. &
- 1990. A polygenic model for the evolution and maintenance of conditional strategies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 242: 181–187. , &
- 1999. Diet-induced phenotypic plasticity of feeding morphology in the Genus Lepomis. PhD thesis, Illinois State University, Normal, IL.
- 2006. Multidimensional analysis of suction feeding performance in fishes: fluid speed, acceleration, strike accuracy and the ingested volume of water. J. Exp. Biol. 209: 2713–2725. , &
- 2001. Diet dependant body morphology and ontogenetic reaction norms in Eurasian perch. Oikos 95: 311–323. , , , &
- 1994. Limnology, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, Toronto, ON, Canada, 576 pp. &
- 1993. General results concerning the trade-off between gaining energy and avoiding predation. Philos. Trans. Biol. Sci. 341: 375–397. , &
- 2006. Divergent walleye (Sander vitreus) mediated inducible defenses in the Centrarchid pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. In press. &
- 2001. Divergence and selection in trophically polymorphic pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). MSc Thesis, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- 2004. Natural selection and the evolution of replicated trophic polymorphisms in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Evol. Ecol. Res. 6: 285–305. &
- 1998. Measuring spontaneous deleterious mutation process. Genetica 102/103: 183–197.
- 1983. Functional and morphological bases of trophic specialization in sunfishes (Teleostei: Centrarchidae). J. Morphol. 178: 1–21.
- 2002. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporia populations. Evolution 56: 617–627. , &
- 1962. Theory of fitness in a heterogeneous environment. 1. The fitness set and adaptive function. Am. Nat. 96: 361–373.
- 1986. Canalization versus developmental conversion in a spatially variable environment. Am. Nat. 128: 561–572.
- 2000. Evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity in the hindlimb of the lizard Anolis sagrei. Evolution 54: 301–305. , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Habitat and home range fidelity in a trophically dimorphic pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) population. Oecologia 140: 271–279. &
- 1994. Speciation and the evolution of reproduction isolation in the sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) of southwestern British Columbia. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespined Stickleback. (M. A.Bell & S. A.Foster, eds), pp. 399–426. Oxford Science Publications, Oxford.
- 1987. Phenotypic plasticity and heterochrony in Cichlasoma managuense (Pisces, Cichlidae) and their implications for speciation in cichlid fishes. Evolution 41: 1357–1369.
- 1981. Foraging efficiency and body size: a study of optimal diet and habitat use by bluegills. Ecology 62: 1370–1386.
- 1988. Competition among refuging sunfishes and effects of fish density on littoral zone invertebrates. Ecology 69: 614–623.
- 1999. Variation in feeding morphology between pumpkinseed populations: phenotypic plasticity or evolution? Evol. Ecol. Res. 1: 111–128. , &
- 1999. Divergence of reaction norms of size characters between tropical and temperate populations of Drosophila melanogaster and D. simulans. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 329–339. , , &
- 1995. Benefits of a predator-induced morphology in crucian carp. Oecologia 104: 291–296. , &
- 2004. A new statistical test of fitness set data from reciprocal transplant experiments involving intermediate phenotypes. Am. Nat. 163: 97–104. , &
- 2001. Water velocity shapes juvenile salmonids. Evol. Ecol. 14: 721–730. &
- 2002. Morphological plasticity as a factor in the evolution of trophically polymorphic pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). MSc thesis, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- 2003. Getting into shape: an empirical comparison of traditional truss-based morphometric methods with a newer geometric method applied to New World cichlids. Environ. Biol. Fishes 67: 417–431. , &
- 2006. Replicated evolution of integrated plastic responses during early adaptive divergence. Evolution 60: 801–813. &
- 2001. Phenotypic Plasticity: Beyond Nature and Nurture. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2003. Genetic assimilation and a possible evolutionary paradox: can macroevolution sometimes be so fast as to pass us by? Evolution 57: 1455–1464. &
- 2003. The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 1433–1440. , &
- 2002. Changing times, spaces, and faces: tests and implications of adaptive morphological plasticity in the fishes of northern postglacial lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59: 1819–1833. &
- 1994. Character release and displacement in fishes: a neglected literature. Am. Nat. 144: 596–627. &
- 1996. Genetic variation and phenotypic plasticity in a trophically polymorphic population of pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Evol. Ecol. 10: 1–22. &
- 1998. Optimal foraging, specialization, and a solution to Liem's paradox. Am. Nat. 151: 223–235. &
- 1993. Ecological and morphological differentiation of pumpkinseed sunfish in lakes without bluegill sunfish. Evol. Ecol. 7: 451–464. , , &
- 1996. Trade-offs of ecological specialization: an intraspecific comparison of pumpkinseed sunfish phenotypes. Ecology 77: 170–178. , &
- 2000. A pluralistic analysis of character release in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Ecology 81: 2799–2812. , &
- 2000. Tps Regression v.1.2. Free Computer Software for Exploring the Relationship between Shape and One or More Independent Variables. Ecology and Evolution, SUNY at Stony Brook. URL http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2001a. Tps Dig v.1.28. Free Computer Software for Collecting Landmark Data from Images. Ecology and Evolution, SUNY at Stony Brook. URL http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2001b. Tps Relative Warps v.1.22. Free Computer Software for Calculating Partial and Relative Warp Scores from Landmark Data. Ecology and Evolution, SUNY at Stony Brook. URL http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 1993. A revolution in morphometrics. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8: 129–132. &
- 1996. Seasonal variation in the composition and rate of change of the phytoplankton community in a deep subalpine lake (Lake Garda, Northern Italy). An application of nonmetric multidimensional scaling and cluster analysis. Hydrobiology 337: 49–68.
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland, MA. &
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity: linking molecular mechanisms with evolutionary outcomes. Evol. Ecol. 16: 189–211. &
- 1995. Adaptive radiation in sticklebacks: trade-offs in feeding performance and growth. Ecology 76: 82–90.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1995. Resource polymorphisms in vertebrates. Trend. Ecol. Evol. 10: 366–370. &
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of resource polymorphisms in fish, amphibians and birds. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27: 111–133. &
- 1917. On Growth and Form. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2001. Why are dwarf fish so small? An energetic analysis of polymorphism in lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58: 394–405. , , &
- 1993. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: target or by-product of selection in a variable environment? Am. Nat. 142: 352–365.
- 1985. Genotype-environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 502–522. &
- 1991. Trophic polymorphism in the pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus Linnaeus): effects of environment on ontogeny. Funct. Ecol. 5: 40–55. , &
- 1984. Body form, locomotion and foraging in aquatic vertebrates. Am. Zool. 24: 107–120.
- 2004. Tests of replicated phenotypic divergence in polymorphic pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus), using microsatellite markers. MSc thesis, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- 1989. Phenotypic plasticity and the origins of diversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 20: 249–278.
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford. 794. pp.
- 1990. Phenotypic plasticity of anatomical structures and its ecomorphological significance. Neth. J. Zool. 40: 278–298. , &