Horn growth rate and longevity: implications for natural and artificial selection in thinhorn sheep (Ovis dalli)
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2006
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 818–828, March 2007
How to Cite
LOEHR, J., CAREY, J., HOEFS, M., SUHONEN, J. and YLÖNEN, H. (2007), Horn growth rate and longevity: implications for natural and artificial selection in thinhorn sheep (Ovis dalli). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 818–828. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01272.x
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2006
- Received 27 June 2006; revised 5 October 2006; accepted 7 October 2006
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Biol. Conserv. 111: 115–123. , , , , &
- 1984. An evaluation of permit hunting in the southern Yukon. Biennial Symposium of Northern Wild Sheep and Goat Council 4: 372–388. &
- 1996. Sexual segregation in mountain sheep: resources or predation? Wildl. Monogr. 134: 1–50. , &
- 1978. Horn growth and population quality in Dall sheep. J. Wildl. Manage. 42: 764–775.
- 2000. Increased signalling effort when survival prospects decrease: male-male competition ensures honesty. Anim. Behav. 60: 417–422.
- 1993. Sexual selection's effects on male life history and the pattern of male mortality. Ecology 74: 1884–1892. &
- 2002. Age-dependent sexual selection in bighorn rams. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 269: 165–172. , , &
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426: 655–658. , , , , &
- 2005. Selection and genetic (co)variance in bighorn sheep. Evolution 59: 1372–1382. , , &
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297: 94–96. &
- 1996. Courtship reduces longevity of male Drosophila melanogaster. Anim. Behav. 52: 269–278. &
- 1992. Resampling methods for computation-intensive data analysis in ecology and evolution. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 23: 405–447.
- 1977. Longevity and lifetime body weight in mice selected for rapid growth. Nature 265: 48–49. &
- 2002. A life history perspective on strategic mating effort in male scorpionflies. Behav. Ecol. 13: 632–636. &
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 415–423. , &
- 1992. gpower: A Priori, Post-Hoc, and Compromise Power Analyses for ms-dos. Department of Psychology, Bonn University, Bonn. &
- 1991. The social system of bighorn sheep: grouping patterns, kinship and female dominance rank. Anim. Behav. 42: 71–82.
- 2004. Relative allocation to horn and body growth in bighorn rams caries with resource availability. Behav. Ecol. 15: 305–312. , , &
- 2005. A substantial energetic cost to male reproduction in a sexually dimorphic ungulate. Ecology 86: 2154–2163. , , &
- 1997. Vigilance by female Dall's sheep: interactions between predation risk factors. Anim. Behav. 53: 799–808.
- 1966a. The evolutionary significance of mountain sheep horns. Evolution 20: 558–566.
- 1966b. Validity of horn segment counts in ageing bighorn sheep. J. Wildl. Manage. 30: 634–646.
- 1971. Mountain Sheep: a Study in Behaviour and Evolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. 383 pp.
- 1999. Sex, death and genetic variation: natural and sexual selection on cricket song. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 266: 707–709. &
- 1995. Trade-offs between life-history traits and a secondary sexual character in male collared flycatchers. Nature 375: 311–313. , &
- 1975. Ram Horn Growth and Population Quality. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Wildlife Technical Bulletin 5. &
- 2000. Cohort variation in horn growth of Dall sheep rams in the southwest Yukon, 1969–1999. Biennial Symposium of Northern Wild Sheep and Goat Council 12: 88–100. &
- 1983. Demographic characteristics of an unhunted Dall sheep (Ovis dalli dalli) population in southwest Yukon, Canada. Can. J. Zool. 61: 1346–1357. &
- 1998. The cost of reproduction and sexual selection. Oikos 83: 478–483. &
- 2004. High-quality male field crickets invest heavily in sexual display but die young. Nature 432: 1024–1027. , , , , &
- 1997. Effects of age, sex, disease and density on survival of bighorn sheep. Ecology 78: 1019–1032. , , &
- 1997. Evolutionarily stable strategies of age-dependent sexual advertisement. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41: 99–107.
- 2003. The evolution of mate choice and mating biases. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270: 653–664. , , &
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation: a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 68: 619–640. &
- 2006. Thinhorn sheep evolution and behaviour. PhD Thesis, University Printing House, Jyväskylä. 89 pp.
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 78: 1069–1079. , , , &
- 2002. Age-specific survival and reproductive probabilities: evidence for senescence in male fallow deer (Dama dama). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 269: 1129–1137. , &
- 1982. A simple measuring device for sheep horns. Biennial Symposium of Northern Wild Sheep and Goat Council 3: 157–162. , , , &
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 254–260. &
- 2003. Rapid growth results in increased susceptibility to predation in Menidia menidia. Evolution 57: 2119–2127. &
- 1976. Dall sheep demography in McKinley Park and a Reevaluation of Murie's data. J. Wildl. Manage. 40: 597–609. &
- 2001. Effects of age, sex and density on body weight of Norwegian red deer: evidence of density-dependent senescence. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 268: 911–919. , , &
- 1984. Phenotypic plasticity and the handicap principle. J. Theor. Biol. 110: 275–297. &
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428: 932–935. , , , , , &
- 2002. Growth to death in lizards. Evolution 56: 1867–1870. &
- 2001. Humans as the world's greatest evolutionary force. Science 293: 1786–1790.
- 2003. High sexual signalling rates of young individuals predict extended life span in male Mediterranean fruit flies. Oecologia 138: 127–134. , , , , &
- 2005. Fecal counts of lungworm larvae and reproductive effort in bighorn sheep, Ovis canadensis. Oikos 110: 473–480. , , &
- 2006. Live fast, die young: trade-offs between fitness components and sexually antagonistic selection, on weaponry in Soay sheep. Evolution 60: 2168–2181. , , , &
- 1992. Progression of coronary arterial lesions in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) as a function of growth rate. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49: 878–884. , &
- 2002. Influence of trophy hunting and horn size on mating behavior and survivorship of mountain sheep. J. Mammal. 83: 682–698. &
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40: 893–913. &
- 1995. Fluctuating trade-offs favour precocial maturity in male Soay sheep. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 262: 267–275. &