Sounds different: inbreeding depression in sexually selected traits in the cricket Teleogryllus commodus
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 1138–1147, May 2007
How to Cite
DRAYTON, J. M., HUNT, J., BROOKS, R. and JENNIONS, M. D. (2007), Sounds different: inbreeding depression in sexually selected traits in the cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1138–1147. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01286.x
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2007
- Received 30 October 2006; accepted 3 November 2006
- 2000. Inbreeding and outbreeding depression in male courtship song characters in Drosophila montana. Heredity 84: 273–282.
- 1972. Genetic control of the neuronal network generating cricket (Teleogryllus gryllus) song patterns. Anim. Behav. 20: 478–492. &
- 2006. Complex multivariate sexual selection on male acoustic signaling in a wild population of Teleogryllus commodus. Am. Nat. 167: E102–E116. , , &
- 2005. Experimental evidence for multivariate stabilizing sexual selection. Evolution 59: 871–880. , , , , &
- 1979. Regulation of spatial pattern in populations of the field cricket Teleogryllus commodus (Walker). Z. Tierpsychol. 51: 260–268. &
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18: 237–268. &
- 1988. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- 2004. Do sexual ornaments demonstrate heightened condition-dependent expression as predicted by the handicap hypothesis? Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 271: 771–783. , &
- 2002. Statistical Computing: an Introduction to Data-Analysis Using S-Plus. Wiley, Chichester.
- 1995. Fitness differences associated with calling behaviour in the two wing morphs of male sand crickets, Gryllus firmus. Anim. Behav. 50: 1475–1481. &
- 1999. Inbreeding depression in the wild. Heredity 83: 260–270. &
- 1999. A comparison of inbreeding depression in life-history and morphological traits in animals. Evolution 53: 1288–1292. &
- 1988. Mating systems and reproductive strategies in three Australian gryllid crickets: Bobilla victoriae Otte, Balamara gidya Otte and Telleogryllus commodus (Walker) (Orthoptera; Gryllidae; Nemobiinae; Trigonidiinae; Gryllinae). Ethology 78: 21–52.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Harlow, UK. &
- 2006. Variation in inbreeding depression among populations of the seed beetle, Stato limbatus. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 121: 137–144. &
- 1989. Sexual selection at varying population densities in male field crickets, Gryllus veletis and G. pennsylvanicus. J. Insect Behav. 2: 105–121. &
- 2002. Acoustic Communication in Insects and Anurans. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. &
- 2006. Sexually selected signals are not similar to sport handicaps. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21: 83–88.
- 1990. Biological signals as handicaps. J. Theor. Biol. 144: 517–546.
- 1986. Female preferences for male calling bout duration in a field cricket. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 19: 73–77.
- 1972. Pre-mating isolation between the Australian field crickets Teleogryllus commodus and T. oceanicus (Othoptera: Gryllidae). Aust. J. Zool. 20: 153–163. , &
- 2003. Condition-dependent signaling affects male sexual attractiveness in field crickets, Gryllus campestris. Behav. Ecol. 14: 353–359. , &
- 2004a. What is genetic quality?. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 329–333. , , &
- 2004b. High-quality male field crickets invest heavily in sexual display but die young. Nature 432: 1024–1027. , , , , &
- 2004. No evidence for inbreeding avoidance through post-copulatory mechanisms in the black field cricket, Teleogryllus commodus. Evolution 58: 2472–2477. , , &
- 2003. Captivity masks inbreeding effects on male mating success in butterflies. Nature 424: 191–194. &
- 1987. The efficiency of sound production in two cricket species, Gryllotalpa australis and Teleogryllus commodus (Orthoptera, Grylloidea). J. Exp. Biol. 130: 107–119.
- 2006. Unifying and testing models of sexual selection. Ann. Rev. Evol. Ecol. Syst. 37: 43–66. , &
- 2005. Effect of inbreeding and heritability of sperm competition success in the bulb mite Rhizoglyphus robini. Heredity 94: 577–581. , &
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. 1. Genetic models. Evolution 39: 24–40. &
- 1998. Genetics and the Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 2006. The effect of inbreeding on male courtship behaviour and coloration in guppies. Ethology 112: 807–814. , , &
- 1993. Inbreeding depression and male mating behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica 88: 29–36. , &
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59: 181–197. &
- 2003. Inbreeding depression and genetic load of sexually selected traits: how the guppy lost its spots. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 273–281. , , , , &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS. Spinger, Berlin. &
- 1981. Energetics of singing in crickets: effect of temperature in three trilling species (Orthoptera, Gryllidae). J. Comp. Physiol. 143: 199–212. &
- 1998. Effects of inbreeding on morphological and life history traits of the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Heredity 81: 28–37.
- 1996. The lek paradox and the capture of genetic variance by condition dependent traits. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1415–1421. &
- 1984. The effect of inbreeding on competitive male-mating ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 106: 601–612.
- 1997. Fluctuating asymmetry, spot asymmetry and inbreeding depression in the sexual coloration of male guppy fish. Heredity 79: 515–523. &
- 1989. Kin recognition and its influence on mating preferences of the field cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus (de Geer). Anim. Behav. 38: 68–77.
- 1991. Female choice and the relatedness of mates in the field cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus. Anim. Behav. 41: 493–501.
- 2004. Genic capture and resolving the lek paradox. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 323–328. , , &
- 2006. Female preference for male courtship song and its role as a signal of immune function and condition. Anim. Behav. 72: 809–818. , , &
- 1975. Mate selection – selection for a handicap. J. Theor. Biol. 53: 205–214.
- 1990. Parasites and mate choice in red jungle fowl. Am. Zool. 30: 235–244. , , &