Sex ratio, sex-specific chick mortality and sexual size dimorphism in birds
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 1522–1530, July 2007
How to Cite
BENITO, M. M. and GONZÁLEZ-SOLÍS, J. (2007), Sex ratio, sex-specific chick mortality and sexual size dimorphism in birds. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1522–1530. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01327.x
- Issue online: 20 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2007
- Received 1 November 2006; revised 27 January 2007; accepted 30 January 2007
- 1993. Prey size influences female competitive dominance in nestling American kestrels (Falco sparverius). Ecology 74: 367–376. , , , &
- 1997. Does variation of sex ratio enhance reproductive success of offspring in tawny owls (Strix aluco)? Proc. R. Soc. B 264: 1111–1116. , , , &
- 2002. Evolutionary Ecology of birds: Life Histories, Mating Systems and Extinction. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1983. Offspring sex ratio in red-winged blackbirds is dependent on maternal age. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 80: 6141–6145. &
- 1986. Influence of sibling competition on nestling sex ratios of sexually dimorphic birds. Am. Nat. 127: 495–507.
- 1978. Sex ratio and local resource competition in a prosimian primate. Science 201: 163–165.
- 1986. Sex ratio variation in birds. Ibis 128: 317–329.
- 1985. Parental investment and sex differences in juvenile mortality in birds and mammals. Nature 313: 131–133. , &
- 2002. Sex ratios in birds and mammals: can the hypotheses be disentangled? In: Sex Ratios; Concepts and Research Methods (I. C. W., Hardy, ed.), pp. 266–286. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , &
- 1981. Toward a phylogenetic classification of the recent birds of the world (Class Aves). Auk 98: 681–714.
- 1990. Adaptive seasonal variation in the sex ratio of kestrel broods. Funct. Ecol. 4: 143–147. , &
- 1998. Fledgling sex ratios in relation to brood size in size-dimorphic altricial birds. Behav. Ecol. 9: 287–296. , &
- 1991. Sexual size dimorphism and sibling competition: implications for avian sex ratios. Am. Nat. 138: 623–641. , , , &
- 1997. New tools for sex identification and the study of sex allocation in birds. TREE 12: 255–259. &
- 1996. Sex ratio adjustment in relation to paternal attractiveness in a wild bird population. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 93: 11723–11728. , &
- 1997. When mothers prefer daughters over sons. TREE 12: 291–292.
- 1986. Sex-ratio selection in species with helpers-at-the-nest. Am. Nat. 127: 7–8. , &
- 1985. Phylogenies and the comparative method. Am. Nat. 125: 1–15.
- 1980. On estimating primary sex ratios from incomplete data. Am. Nat. 115: 442–444.
- 1981. Sex ratio constancy in the red-winged blackbird. Evolution 35: 898–910.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2003. Measuring sexual size dimorphism in birds. Ibis 145: 124–126.
- 1992. Sex-biased mortality in the Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus during the nestling stage. Ibis 134: 237–244.
- 1993. The isolation of molecular genetics markers for the identification of sex. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 90: 8324. &
- 1991. The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1995. Why ecologists need to be phylogenetically challenged. J. Ecol. 83: 535–536. , &
- 2002. Year-dependent sex-biased mortality in supplementary-fed Tengmalm's owl nestlings. J. Anim. Ecol. 71: 693–699. , , &
- 1977. Sex ratio adjustment in the common grackle. Science 198: 744–745.
- 2001. Nestling sex ratio variation in the cooperatively breeding acorn woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 49: 357–365. , , &
- 2002. Adaptive sex allocation in birds: the complexities of linking theory and practice. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 357: 373–380. &
- 1998. Energy requirements for growth in relation to sexual size dimorphism in marsh harrier Circus aeruginosus nestlings. Physiol. Zool. 71: 693–702. , , &
- 1996. Great Tit hatching sex ratios. J. Avian Biol. 27: 135–142. , &
- 2000. Adaptation and the comparative method. TREE 15: 296–299.
- 1979. Population Ecology of Raptors. Poyser, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, UK.
- 1979. Sex ratio among nestlings of the European sparrowhawk. Am. Nat. 113: 309–315. &
- 1998. Brood sex ratio is dependent on female mating status in polygynous great reed warblers. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44: 9–14.
- 1994. Mortality costs of parental care and sexual dimorphism in birds. Proc. R. Soc. B 257: 1–8. &
- 1998. Sexual dimorphism in birds: why are there so many different forms of dimorphism? Proc. R. Soc. B 265: 397–407. &
- 1992. A method for the analysis of comparative data. J. Theor. Biol. 156: 431–442.
- 1980. Variation in nestling sex ratios in the yellow-headed blackbird. Am. Nat. 115: 743–747. &
- 2003. Potential mechanisms of avian sex manipulation. Biol. Rev. 78: 553–574. &
- 1997. Correlated evolution and independent contrasts. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 352: 519–529.
- 1992. Mortality costs of sexual dimorphism in birds. Proc. R. Soc. B 250: 143–150. , &
- 1995a. Comparative analyses by independent contrasts (CAIC): an Apple Macintosh application for analysing comparative data. Comp. Appl. Biosci. 11: 247–251. &
- 1995b. Comparative Analyses by Independent Contrasts (CAIC): A Statistical Package for the Apple Macintosh [2.0.0]. Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford. &
- 1994. Reinventing the wheel: analysis of sexual dimorphism in body size. Oikos 70: 313–321. , &
- 1985. Differential mortality of male and female offspring in experimentally manipulated broods of the rook. J. Anim. Ecol. 54: 261–266. &
- 2002. Biology of Marine Birds. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL. &
- 1998. Gender and environmental sensitivity in nestling collared flycatchers. Ecology 79: 1939–1948. , , &
- 1990. Phylogeny and Classification of Birds: A Study in Molecular Evolution. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT. &
- 1986. Sex ratio, differential cost of rearing young, and differential mortality between the sexes during the period of parental care: Fisher's theory applied to birds. Ornis Scand. 17: 117–125. , &
- 1990. When should avian parents differentially provision sons and daughters? Am. Nat. 135: 671–685.
- 1992. Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. Mate quality affects offspring sex ratio in blue tits. Proc. R. Soc. B 263: 357–361. &
- 1988. Sex-specific energy requirements of great-tailed grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) nestlings. J. Anim. Ecol. 57: 659–668. &
- 1989. Sex-specific mortality in nestling great-tailed grackles. Ecology 70: 1485–1493. &
- 1997. Female-biased mortality in nestlings of a bird with size dimorphism. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 859–865. &
- 1973. Natural selection of parental ability to vary the sex ratio of offspring. Science 179: 90–92. &
- 2002. Experimental manipulation of maternal effort produces differential effects in sons and daughters: implications for adaptive sex ratios in the blue-footed booby. Behav. Ecol. 13: 443–449.
- 2005. Elaborate ornaments are costly to maintain: evidence for high maintenance handicaps. Behav. Ecol. 16: 89–95. &
- 1991. Are skewed fledgling sex ratios in sexually dimorphic birds adaptive? Am. Nat. 138: 1159–1172. &
- 1992. Facultative sex ratio manipulation in American kestrels. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 30: 379–386. &
- 1992. Seasonal variation in the sex ratio of marsh harrier Circus aeruginosus broods. Funct. Ecol. 6: 553–559. , &
- 1990. Reproductive strategies and disease susceptibility: an evolutionary viewpoint. Parasitol. Today 6: 231–233.