Heritable body size mediates apparent life-history trade-offs in a simultaneous hermaphrodite
Version of Record online: 16 APR 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 1554–1562, July 2007
How to Cite
MILLER, B. L. W. and SINERVO, B. (2007), Heritable body size mediates apparent life-history trade-offs in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1554–1562. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01331.x
- Issue online: 20 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 16 APR 2007
- Received 5 December 2006; revised 24 January 2007; accepted 27 January 2007
- 2003. Sexual selection in a simultaneous hermaphrodite with hypodermic insemination: body size, allocation to sexual roles and paternity. Anim. Behav. 66: 417–426.
- 1996. The particular maternal effect of propagule size, especially egg size: patterns, models, quality of evidence and interpretations. Am. Zool. 36: 216–236.
- 1899. The elimination of the unfit as illustrated by the introduced sparrow, Passer domesticus. Biol. Lect. Mar. Biol. Lab., Woods Hole, MA, 209–226.
- 1982. The Theory of Sex Allocation. University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and selection in Drosophila life history evolution: 2 diet, mates and the cost of reproduction. J. Evol. Biol. 10: 269–293. , , , &
- 1982. Red Deer: Behavior and Ecology of Two Sexes. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , &
- 1997. Adaptation of life histories. In: Behavioural Ecology: An Evolutionary Approach, 4th edn (J. R.Krebs & N. B.Davies, eds), pp. 311–333. Blackwell Science, Oxford, London. &
- 1996. Gender contests in a simultaneous hermaphrodite snail: a size-advantage model for behaviour. Anim. Behav. 51: 345–351.
- 1998. Reproductive energy allocation and long-term energy stores in a viviparous lizard (Eulamprus tympanum). Ecology 79: 1073–1083. &
- 2004. Immune suppression and the cost of reproduction in the ground cricket, Allonemobius socius. Evolution 58: 2478–2485. , &
- 2005. Parasitism and growth in the earthworm Lumbricus terrestris: fitness costs of the gregarine parasite Monocystis sp. Parasitology 130: 397–403. &
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1990. Latitudinal clines a trade-off between egg number and size in pacific salmon. Ecology 71: 1–11. &
- 1999. The evolutionary genetics of an adaptive maternal effect: egg size plasticity in a seed beetle. Evolution 53: 552–560. , , &
- 1969. The evolution of hermaphroditism among animals. Q. Rev. Biol. 44: 189.
- 1994. The Western Society of Malacologists Field Guide to the Slug. Sasquatch Books, Seattle, WA.
- 2001. A Primer of Ecology, 3rd edn. Sinauer Assoc., Sunderland, MA.
- 1999. Sperm digestion and reciprocal sperm transfer can drive hermaphrodite sex allocation to equality. Am. Nat. 153: 421–430. &
- 1992. New range information for the banana slug Ariolimaxcolumbianus Gould 1851. Veliger 35: 157.
- 1979. The allometry of reproduction an empirical view in salamanders. Am. Nat. 113: 671–690. &
- 2002. Comparative reproductive biology of Ariolimax californicus and A. dolichophallus (Gastropoda: Stylommatophora). Invertebr. Reprod. Dev. 41: 83–93. , &
- 2000. Mating frequency and resource allocation to male and female function in the simultaneous hermaphrodite land snail Arianta arbustorum. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 607–614. &
- 2002. Nutritional stress changes sex-specific reproductive allocation in the simultaneously hermaphroditic land snail Arianta arbustorum. Funct. Ecol. 16: 623–632. &
- 2004. Testing hypotheses on egg number and size in black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae). J. Vector Ecol. 29: 248–256. , &
- 1942. The Taxonomy, Biology, and Genital Physiology of the Giant West Coast Land Slugs of the Genus Ariolimax Morch (Gastropoda: Pulmonata), PhD Dissertation. Cornell University, 142 pp.
- 1948. Land Mollusca of North America (North of Mexico), Vol. II, Part 2. The National Academy of Sciences of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA.
- 1997. Cost of reproduction and the evolution of deferred breeding in the western gull. Behav. Ecol. 8: 140–147. , , &
- 1985. Costs of reproduction an evaluation of the empirical evidence. Oikos 44: 257–267.
- 1982. The impact of predation on life history evolution in trinidadian guppies poecilia-reticulata. Evolution 36: 160–177. &
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Assoc., Sunderland, MA.
- 1984. Laboratory evolution of postponed senescence in drosophila-melanogaster. Evolution 38: 1004–1010.
- 2001. Social situation, sperm competition and sex allocation in a simultaneous hermaphrodite parasite, the cestode Schistocephalus solidus. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 942–953. &
- 2001. Size-dependent sex allocation in a simultaneous hermaphrodite parasite. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 55–67. , , &
- 2005. Trade-off between male and female allocation in the simultaneously hermaphroditic flatworm Macrostomum sp. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 396–404. , &
- 1999. Life-history consequences of divergent selection on egg size in Drosophila melanogaster. Am. Nat. 154: 333–340. , &
- 1990a. Evolution of thermal physiology and growth-rate between populations of the Western Fence Lizard (Sceloporus-Occidentalis). Oecologia 83: 228–237.
- 1990b. The evolution of maternal investment in lizards an experimental and comparative analysis of egg size and its effect on offspring performance. Evolution 44: 279–294.
- 1991. Experimental and comparative analyses of egg size in lizards constraints on the adaptive evolution of maternal investment per offspring. In: The Unity of Evolutionary Biology. Vol. II (E. C.Dudley, ed.), pp. 725–734. Dioscorides Press, Portland, OR.
- 1999. Mechanistic analysis of natural selection and a refinement of Lack's and Williams's principles. Am. Nat. 154: S26–S42.
- 1989. Thermal sensitivity of growth rate in hatchling sceloporus lizards environmental behavioral and genetic aspects. Oecologia 78: 411–419. &
- 1991. Proximate constraints on the evolution of egg size number and total clutch mass in lizards. Science (Washington, DC) 252: 1300–1302. &
- 1998. Mechanistic and selective causes of life history trade-offs and plasticity. Oikos 83: 432–442. &
- 1992. Allometric engineering – a causal-analysis of natural-selection on offspring size. Science 258: 1927–1930. , , &
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. Am. Nat. 108: 499–506. &
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1975. Lizard reproductive effort – caloric estimates and comments on its evolution. Ecology 56: 427–434. &
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128: 137–142. &
- 2001. The physiology of life history trade-offs in animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32: 95–126. &