Effects of early resource limitation and compensatory growth on lifetime fitness in the ladybird beetle (Harmonia axyridis)
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 1298–1310, July 2007
How to Cite
DMITRIEW, C. and ROWE, L. (2007), Effects of early resource limitation and compensatory growth on lifetime fitness in the ladybird beetle (Harmonia axyridis). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1298–1310. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01349.x
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2007
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2007
- Received 19 December 2006; revised 25 February 2007; accepted 26 February 2007
- 1996. The effect of flexible growth rates on optimal sizes and development times in a seasonal environment. Am. Nat. 147: 381–395. , , &
- 2003. Compensatory growth in fishes: a response to growth depression. Fish and Fisheries 4: 147–190. , &
- 1998. Predictable changes in predation mortality as a consequence of changes in food availability and predation risk. Evol. Ecol. 12: 729–738. &
- 1991. Patterns of mass gain and sexual dimorphism in adult dragonflies (Insecta, Odonata). Can. J. Zool. 69: 1156–1163. , &
- 2002. Fetal origins of adult disease: strength of effects and biological basis. Int. J. Epidemiol. 31: 1235–1239. , , &
- 2004. Overwintering, phenology and decundity of Harmonia axyridis in comparison with native coccinellid species in Italy. Biocontrol 49: 245–260. , , &
- 1999. Nestling diet, secondary sexual traits and fitness in the zebra finch. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 385–390. , &
- 1998. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity in growth, development and body size in the yellow dung fly. Evolution 52: 1394–1407.
- 2003. Neonatal nutrition, adult antioxidant defences and sexual attractiveness in the zebra finch. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 270: 1691–1696. , , , , &
- 2005. Larval food limitation in butterflies: effects on adult resource allocation and fitness. Oecologia 144: 353–361. &
- 2004. The role of oxidative damage and stress in aging. Mech. Ageing Dev. 125: 811–826. , &
- 2000. Effect of past nutritional history and fasting on feed intake and growth in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquat. Living Resour. 13: 129–137. , , , &
- 2005. What the effects of maternal and pre-adult environments on ageing in humans, and are there lessons from animal models? Mech. Ageing Dev. 126: 431–438. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Critical weight in the development of insect body size. Evol. Dev. 5: 188–197. , &
- 2002. Developmental thresholds and the evolution of reaction norms for age and size at life history transitions. Am. Nat. 159: 338–350. &
- 2005. Fitness effects from egg to reproduction: bridging the life history transition. Ecology 86: 185–197. &
- 1998. The effect of female mating history on sperm precedence in the two-spot ladybird, Adelia bipunctata (Coleoptera, Coccinellidae). Behav. Ecol. 9: 559–565. , &
- 2005. Resource limitation, predation risk and compensatory growth in a damselfly. Oecologia 142: 150–154. &
- 2005. The link between food and reproduction in aphidophagous predators: a case study with Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae). Eur. J. Entomol. 102: 423–430. &
- 2005. Natural selection and developmental constraints in the evolution of allometries. Science 307: 718–720. , &
- 2000. Increased risk of predation as a cost of high growth rate: an experimental test in a butterfly. J. Anim. Ecol. 69: 896–902.
- 1994. Adaptive variation in growth-rate: Life-history costs and consequences in the speckled wood butterfly, Pararge aegeria. Oecologia 99: 281–289. , &
- 1993. Instraspecific variation in body size and fecundity in insects: a general relationship. Oikos 66: 483–492.
- 1999. Life history and behavioural responses to time constraints in a damselfly. Ecology 80: 1242–1252. &
- 2006. The cost of catching up: increased winter mortality following structural growth compensation in the wild. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1281–1286. &
- 2006. Having it all: historical energy intakes do not generate the anticipated trade-offs in fecundity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1369–1374. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. The multicolored Asian lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis: A review of its biology, uses in biological control, and non-target impacts. J. Insect Sci. 3: 1–16.
- 2004. Biological traits and life table of the exotic Harmonia axyridis compared with Hippodamia variegata, and Adalia bipunctata. J. Appl. Entomol. 128: 298–306. , , &
- 2005. A life-history perspective on short- and long-term consequences of compensatory growth. Am. Nat. 166: E155–E176. &
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 254–260. &
- 2002. Seasonal variation in catch-up growth reveals state-dependent somatic allocations in salmon. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 871–881. , &
- 1998. Plasticity in life history traits. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 43: 63–83. &
- 2006. Influence of mating duration on fecundity and fertility in two aphidophagous ladybirds. J. Appl. Entomol. 130: 103–107. &
- 2004. Lifespan: catch-up growth and obesity in male mice. Nature 427: 411–412. &
- 2005. Poor fetal growth followed by rapid postnatal catch-up growth leads to premature death. Mech. Ageing Dev. 126: 852–854. &
- 2006. Larval cannibalism in aphidophagous ladybirds: Influencing factors, benefits and costs. Biol. Control. 38: 307–313. , &
- 1997. Effect of body size and feeding on fecundity in the damselfly Ischnura verticalis (Odonata: Coenagrionidae). Oikos 79: 477–483. &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories: Theory and Analysis. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 2000. Coronary heart disease after prenatal exposure to the Dutch famine, 1944–1945. Heart 84: 595–598. , , , , , , , &
- 1991. Size and timing of metamorphosis in complex life-cycles: time constraints and variation. Ecology 72: 413–427. &
- 2005. A poor start in life negatively affects dominance status in adulthood independent of body size in green swordtails Xiphophorus helleri. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272: 1917–1922. , &
- 1995. Tissue protein-turnover is altered during catch-up growth following E. coli infection in weanling rats. J. Nutr. 125: 520–530. &
- 2001. Sperm Competition and its Evolutionary Consequences in Insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 2005. Variable intake, compensatory growth and increased growth efficiency in fish: models and mechanisms. Ecology 86: 1452–1462. , , &
- 2000. Fitness and body size in mature odonates. Ecol. Entomol. 25: 239–248. , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1999. Developmental trade-offs in caddis flies: increased investment in larval defence alters adult resource allocation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 1049–1054. , , &
- 2006. Physiological costs of compensatory growth in a damselfly. Ecology 87: 1566–1574. , &
- 2006. The influence of juvenile and adult environments on life-history trajectories. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B . 273: 741–750.
- 2003. Unexpected discontinuities in life-history ecolution under size-dependent mortality. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 713–721. , &
- 2004. Compensatory responses in lepidopteran larvae: a test of growth rate maximization. Oikos 107: 352–362. , , &
- 2006. Small body size in an insect shifts development, prior to adult eclosion, towards early reproduction. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1099–1103. , , &
- 1999. Effect cannibalism and predation on the larval performance of two ladybird beetles. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 93: 63–67. &
- 2004. Delayed costs of growth and compensatory growth rates. Functional Ecol. 18: 563–570. , &