The degree of adaptive phenotypic plasticity is correlated with the spatial environmental heterogeneity experienced by island populations of Rana temporaria
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 1288–1297, July 2007
How to Cite
LIND, M. I. and JOHANSSON, F. (2007), The degree of adaptive phenotypic plasticity is correlated with the spatial environmental heterogeneity experienced by island populations of Rana temporaria. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1288–1297. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01353.x
- Issue online: 20 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2007
- Received 25 January 2007; revised 26 February 2007; accepted 27 February 2007
- 1996. The effect of flexible growth rates on optimal sizes and development times in a seasonal environment. Am. Nat. 147: 381–395. , , &
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in the interactions and evolution of species. Science 294: 321–326.
- 2005. Plastic acceleration of metamorphosis in the common frog (Rana temporaria) in response to pool drying: the effect of geographical isolation. Master's Thesis, Umeå University. .
- 2003. Patterns of natural selection on size at metamorphosis in water frogs. Evolution 57: 872–882. &
- 1990. Factors affecting population fluctuations in larval and adult stages of the wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Ecology 71: 1599–1608.
- 2000. Developmental responses to pond desiccation in tadpoles of the British anuran amphibians (Bufo bufo, B. calamita and Rana temporaria). J. Zool. 252: 61–69. &
- 2002. Depth-area-volume and hydroperiod relationships of ephemeral (vernal) forest pools in southern New England. Wetlands 22: 247–255. &
- 2002. Statistical Computing: An Introduction to Data Analysis Using S-Plus. John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK.
- 2004. Life-history variation in relation to time constraints in a damselfly. Oecologia 140: 68–75. &
- 2005. Pond drying and hatching date shape the tradeoff between age and size at emergence in a damselfly. Oikos 108: 485–494. &
- 1998. Adaptive plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis: response of Scaphiopus hammondii tadpoles to habitat desiccation. Ecology 79: 1859–1872. , &
- 2004. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in spatially structured environments: implications of intraspecific competition, plasticity costs and environmental characteristics. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 613–628. &
- 2004. Experimental life-history evolution: selection on growth form and plasticity in a clonal plant. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 331–341. , &
- 1992. The selective advantage of reaction norms for environmental tolerance. J. Evol. Biol. 5: 41–59. &
- 1992. Quantitative genetics and the evolution of reaction norms. Evolution 46: 390–411. &
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16: 183–190.
- 2004. Frequency and microevolutional pattern of selection on plastic shade-avoidance traits in a natural population of Impatiens capensis. Am. Nat. 163: 548–563. , , , &
- 2005. Life history and morphology of Rana temporaria in response to pool permanence. Evol. Ecol. Res. 7: 1025–1038. , &
- 1998. Differentiation of allelic frequencies at quantitative trait loci affecting locally adaptive traits. Am. Nat. 151: 283–292.
- 2003. Gene flow, adaptive population divergence and comparative population structure across loci. New Phytol. 161: 51–58.
- 2002. Maternal and genetic contributions to geographical variation in Rana temporaria larval life-history traits. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 76: 61–70. , &
- 2005. Quantitative genetics of larval life-history traits in Rana temporaria in different environmental conditions. Gen. Res. 86: 161–170. , , , , &
- 1999. Habitat duration, predation risk and phenotypic plasticity in common frog (Rana temporaria) tadpoles. J. Anim. Ecol. 68: 1123–1132. &
- 2002. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporaria populations. Evolution 56: 617–627. , &
- 2006. A new perspective on developmental plasticity and the principles of adaptive morph determination. Am. Nat. 167: 367–376. , &
- 1999. Early metamorphosis in common frog Rana temporaria tadpoles at risk of drying: an experimental demonstration. Amphib.–Reptil. 20: 421–430.
- 2003. Plastic response to pond drying in tadpoles Rana temporaria: tests of cost models. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5: 179–194. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland. &
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 285–291. &
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 892–903. &
- 2004. Variation in the degree and costs of adaptive phenotypic plasticity among Rana temporaria populations. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 1132–1140. , &
- 2005. Ecological consequences of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 685–692. , , , &
- 1992. The evolutionary maintenance of alternative phenotypes. Am. Nat. 139: 971–989.
- 2001. Effects of larval density on postmetamorphic spadefoot toads (Spea hammondii). Ecology 82: 510–522. &
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 403–407. &
- 1992. Adaptive plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis: what type of phenotypic variation is adaptive, and what are the costs of such plasticity. BioScience 42: 671–678.
- 1998. Plasticity in life-history traits. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 43: 63–83. &
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticity: where are we going now? Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 481–486.
- 2006. Context-dependent intergenerational effects: the interaction between past and present environments and its effect on population dynamics. Am. Nat. 167: 206–215. , &
- R Development Core Team. 2005. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2002. Local population differences in phenotypic plasticity: predator-induced changes in wood frog tadpoles. Ecol. Monogr. 72: 77–93.
- 1961. The Ecology and Life History of the Common Frog. Sir Isac Pitman and Sons, London.
- 1999. Genetic structure of island populations of the anurans Rana temporaria and Bufo bufo. Heredity 82: 309–317. &
- 1990. Behavioral and life-historical responses of larval American toads to an odonate predator. Ecology 71: 2313–2322. &
- 1987. Adult recruitment in chorus frogs: effects of size and date at metamorphosis. Ecology 68: 344–350.
- 2002. Metapopulation structure favours plasticity over local adaptation. Am. Nat. 160: 271–283. &
- 1997. Experiments in Ecology: Their Logical Design and Interpretation Using Analysis of Variance. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2001. Delayed costs of an induced defence in tadpoles? Morphology, hopping, and development rate at metamorphosis. Evolution 55: 821–829. &
- 1997. Natural selection for environmentally induced phenotypes in tadpoles. Evolution 51: 1983–1992. , &
- 1997. Generalists, specialists, and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity in sympatric populations of distinct species. Evolution 51: 1372–1380.
- 1985. Genotype–environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 505–522. &
- 1996. Mechanisms creating community structure across a freshwater habitat gradient. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 27: 337–363. , &
- 1987. Regulation of structure in complex systems: experimental temporary pond communities. Ecology 68: 1437–1452.
- 1997. Temporary ponds and their invertebrate communities. Aquat. Conserv. Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 7: 105–117.
- 1996. On the evolution of phenotypic plasticity in a spatially heterogeneous environment. Evolution 50: 1052–1061.