Sex-biased preferential care in the cooperatively breeding Arabian babbler
Article first published online: 4 MAY 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 1271–1276, July 2007
How to Cite
RIDLEY, A. R. and HUYVAERT, K. P. (2007), Sex-biased preferential care in the cooperatively breeding Arabian babbler. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1271–1276. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01356.x
- Issue published online: 4 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 4 MAY 2007
- Received 12 February 2007; revised 5 March 2007; accepted 6 March 2007
- 1978. Sex ratio and local resource competition in a prosimian primate. Science 201: 163–165.
- 2001. Effects of helpers on juvenile development and survival in meerkats. Science 293: 2446–2449. , , , , , &
- 2002. Evolution and development of sex differences in cooperative behavior in meerkats. Science 297: 253–256. , , , , &
- 1999. Population dynamics of obligate cooperators. Proc. R. Soc. B. 266: 557–563. , &
- 1988. Incestuous mating in a communal bird – a family affair. Am. Nat. 131: 58–70. &
- 2002. Statistical Computing: An Introduction to Data Analysis Using S-Plus. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester.
- 1997. Predicting family dynamics in social vertebrates. In: Behavioural Ecology: An Evolutionary Approach (J. R.Krebs & N. B.Davies, eds), pp. 228–253. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1999. A simple and universal method for molecular sexing of non-ratite birds. J. Avian. Biol. 30: 116–121. &
- 1995. Signalling of need between parents and young: parent-offspring conflict and sibling rivalry. Am Nat 146: 1–24.
- 2003. Kin discrimination and the benefit of helping in cooperatively breeding vertebrates. Science 302: 634–636. &
- 2005. Cooperative breeders adjust offspring sex ratios to produce helpful helpers. Am. Nat. 166: 628–632. , &
- 1967. Extraordinary sex ratios. Science 156: 477–488.
- 1985. Brood division in robins. Anim. Behav. 33: 466–480.
- 2002. Parental care and adaptive brood sex ratio manipulation in birds. Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. B. 357: 363–372. &
- 2002. Delayed dispersal as a route to breeding: territorial inheritance, safe havens, and ecological constraints. Am. Nat. 160: 468–484. &
- 2001. The evolution of cooperative breeding through group augmentation. Proc. R. Soc. B. 268: 187–196. , &
- 2002. Adaptive sex allocation in birds: the complexities of linking theory and practice. Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. B. 357: 373–380. &
- 1997. Extreme adaptive modification in sex ratio of the Seychelles warbler's eggs. Nature 385: 522–525. , , &
- 1998. A theoretical framework for sex-biased parental care. Anim. Behav. 56: 395–407.
- 2002a. Parentally biased favouritism: why should parents specialize in caring for different offspring? Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. B. 357: 381–403.
- 2002b. Parental investment in relation to offspring sex. In: The Evolution of Begging: Competition, Cooperation and Communication (J.Wright & M. L.Leonard, eds), pp. 65–85. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- 1983. Reciprocity in the green woodhoopoe (Phoeniulus purpureus). Anim. Behav. 31: 480–489. &
- 1998. Reproduction by subordinates in cooperatively breeding Arabian babblers is uncommon but predictable. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 43: 173–180. , &
- 2000. Towards a unified theory of cooperative breeding: the role of ecology and life history re-examined. Proc. R. Soc. B. 267: 2411–2418. &
- 2006. Recruitment calling: a novel form of extended parental care in an altricial species. Curr. Biol. 16: 1700–1705. &
- 2003. The Causes and Consequences of Helping Behaviour in the Cooperatively Breeding Arabian Babbler. PhD thesis, University of Cambridge, Cambridge.
- 1995. Social organization of cooperatively polyandrous white-winged trumpeters (Psophia leucoptera). Auk 112: 296–309.
- 1987. The effects of parent and offspring gender on food allocation in budgerigars. Behaviour 101: 177–199. , , &
- 2002. Effects of sociality on short-distance, female-biased dispersal in tropical wrens. J. Anim. Ecol. 71: 1042–1055. &
- 1990. Arabian Babblers: the quest for social status in a cooperative breeder. In: Cooperative Breeding in Birds: Long-term Studies of Ecology and Behaviour (P. B.Stacey & W. D.Koenig, eds), pp. 105–130. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.