Sex and differentiation: population genetic divergence and sexual dimorphism in Mexican goodeid fish
Article first published online: 4 MAY 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 5, pages 2048–2055, September 2007
How to Cite
RITCHIE, M. G., HAMILL, R. M., GRAVES, J. A., MAGURRAN, A. E., WEBB, S. A. and MACÍAS GARCIA, C. (2007), Sex and differentiation: population genetic divergence and sexual dimorphism in Mexican goodeid fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 2048–2055. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01357.x
- Issue published online: 3 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 4 MAY 2007
- Received 5 January 2007; revised 7 March 2007; accepted 12 March 2007
- 2002. Antagonistic coevolution between the sexes in a group of insects. Nature 415: 787–789. &
- 2000. Sexual conflict promotes speciation in insects. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97: 10460–10464. , , &
- 2007. Differences in dispersal predict population genetic structure in Mormon crickets. Mol. Ecol., doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294x.2007.03265.x. , &
- 2004. Genetic detection of sex-specific dispersal in historical and contemporary populations of anadromous brown trout Salmo trutta. Mol. Ecol. 13: 1707–1712. , &
- 1997. Sexual selection constrained by internal fertilization in the livebearing fish Xenotoca eiseni. Anim. Behav. 54: 1347–1355.
- 2005. Sexual selection and speciation in Hawaiian Drosophila. Behav. Genet. 35: 297–303.
- 2003. Polymorphic microsatellites in two different species of the genus Zoogoneticus Meek, 1902 (Goodeidae, Actynopterygii). Mol. Ecol. Notes 3: 70–72. &
- 2007. Sexual selection drives speciation in an Amazonian frog. Proc. R. Soc. B. Biol. Sci..274: 399–406. , , , &
- 2003. Sex-biased movement in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Oecologia 137: 62–68. , , , , &
- 1871. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex. J. Murray, London.
- 2003. Sexual selection affects local extinction and turnover in bird communities. Proc. Natl Aced. Sci. USA 100: 5858–5862. , , , , &
- 2002. Sexual selection and speciation in mammals, butterflies and spiders. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 2309–2316. , , &
- 1999. A comparison of two indirect methods for estimating average levels of gene flow using microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. 8: 1513–1520. , , &
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive barriers driven by sexual selection. Nature 403: 886–889.
- 2001. The evolution of female mate choice by sexual conflict. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 531–539. , &
- 2006. Phenotypic differentiation and pre-mating isolation between allopatric populations of Girardinichthys multiradiatus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 301–307. &
- 1995. FSTAT (vers. 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86: 485–486.
- 2002. Tests for sex-biased dispersal using bi-parentally inherited genetic markers. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1103–1114. , &
- 2000. Sexual selection and speciation in field crickets. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97: 14449–14454. &
- 2007. Comparison of genetic diversity at microsatellite loci in near-extinct and non-endangered species of Mexican goodeine fishes and prediction of cross-amplification within the family. J. Fish Biol. 70 (Suppl. A): 16–32. , , , , &
- 1999. Post-glacial re-colonization of European biota. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68: 78–112.
- 2004. Genetic consequences of climatic oscillations in the Quaternary. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B – Biol. Sci. 359: 183–195.
- 2002. Sex-biased dispersal in a salmonid fish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 2487–2493. &
- 2006. A time-sequence functional analysis of mating behaviour and genital coupling in Drosophila: role of cryptic female choice and male sex-drive in the evolution of male genitalia. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1058–1070. &
- 1982. Rapid origin of sexual isolation and character divergence in a cline. Evolution 36: 213–223.
- 2002. Ultraviolet based female preferences in a viviparous fish. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 52: 1–6. &
- 2005. Evidence that sensory traps can evolve into honest signals. Nature 434: 501–505. &
- 1994. Correlational evidence of a sexually-selected handicap. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 35: 153–259. , &
- 1998. Does male-biased predation lead to male scarcity in viviparous fish? J. Fish Biol. 53, 104–107. , &
- 1991. Randomization and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 2003. The evolution of reproductive isolation through sexual conflict. Nature 423: 979–982. &
- 2005. Rapid speciation in an arthropod. Nature 433: 375–376. &
- 2005. Freshwater Fishes of Mexico. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , &
- 2003. No evidence that sexual selection is an ‘engine of speciation’ in birds. Ecol. Lett. 6: 228–234. , &
- 2004. Predation risk is associated with the geographic variation of a sexually selected trait in a viviparous fish, Xenotoca variata. J. Zool. 262: 265–270. , &
- 2005 Mate choice and visibility in the expression of a sexually dimorphic trait in a goodeid fish, Xenotoca variatus. Can. J. Zool. 82: 1917–1922. , &
- 2001. Sexual selection and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 364–371. , , &
- 1998. Sexual conflict and speciation. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 353: 261–274. &
- 1999. Sexual conflict and speciation. In: Evolution of Biological Diversity (A. E. Magurran & R. M. May, eds), pp. 130–159. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86: 248–249. &
- 2005. Patterns of speciation in endemic Mexican Goodeid fish: sexual conflict or early radiation? J. Evol. Biol. 18: 922–929. , , , &
- 2004. Kin structure and shoal composition dynamics in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Oikos 106: 520–526. , , &
- 1990. Correspondence between sexual isolation and allozyme differentiation: a test in the salamander Desmognathus ochrophaeus. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 87: 2715–2719. , &
- 2004. Molecular phylogeny of the livebearing Goodeidae (Cyprinodontiformes). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 30: 527–544. , , , , &
- 1985. Intralacustrine differentiation in two species of goodeid fishes. Copeia 1985: 112–118. &
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16: 97–159.