Historic and contemporary levels of genetic variation in two New Zealand passerines with different histories of decline
Version of Record online: 26 MAY 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 5, pages 2035–2047, September 2007
How to Cite
TAYLOR, S. S., JAMIESON, I. G. and WALLIS, G. P. (2007), Historic and contemporary levels of genetic variation in two New Zealand passerines with different histories of decline. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 2035–2047. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01362.x
- Issue online: 3 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 MAY 2007
- Received 14 February 2007; revised 13 March 2007; accepted 13 March 2007
- 1986. Genetic drift and the loss of alleles versus heterozygosity. Zoo Biol. 5: 181–190.
- 1998. Leiopelma pakeka, n. sp. (Anura: Leiopelmatidae), a cryptic species of frog from Maud Island, New Zealand, and a reassessment of the conservation status of L. hamiltoni from Stephens Island. J. R. Soc. N. Z. 28: 39–54. , &
- 1997. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci in a Phylloscopus warbler. Mol. Ecol. 6: 91–92. , &
- 2006. Bottlenecks affect genetic variation in South Island robins: comparing isolated mainland populations with those on offshore islands. Conserv. Genet., DOI: 10.1007/s10592-006-9219-5. , , , &
- 1998. The ghost of genetic diversity past: historical DNA analysis of the greater prairie chicken. Am. Nat. 152: 1–6. , &
- 1985. The Atlas of Bird Distribution in New Zealand. The Ornithological Society of New Zealand, Wellington. , &
- 1999. Evolution by small steps and rugged landscapes in the RNA virus 6. Genetics 151: 921–927. &
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment: a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49: 151–163. &
- 1999. Parasite-mediated selection against inbred Soay sheep in a free-living, island population. Evolution 53: 1259–1267. , , &
- 1999. Inbreeding depression in the wild. Heredity 83: 260–270. &
- 2000. Genomic ancestry of the American puma (Puma concolor). J. Hered. 91: 186–197. , , &
- 2003. Novel polymorphic microsatellite markers for paternity analysis in the red-capped robin (Petroica goodenovii: aves). Mol. Ecol. Notes 3: 517–519. , &
- 1999. Distribution of New Zealand robins within a forest mosaic. Emu 99: 222–226. , &
- 1996. High level of genetic differentiation for allelic richness among populations of the argan tree [Argania spinosa (L.) Skeels] endemic to Morocco. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92: 832–839. &
- 2004. Genetic diversity in remnant mainland and ‘‘pristine’’ island populations of three endemic Australian macropodids (Marsupialia): Macropus eugenii, Lagorchestes hirsutus and Petrogale lateralis. Conserv. Genet. 5: 325–338. , , , &
- 1996. Limited polymorphism at major histocompatibility complex (MHC) loci in the Swedish moose A. alces. Mol. Ecol. 5: 3–9. , , &
- 1986. Considerations on the conservation of alleles and of genic heterozygosity in small managed populations. Zoo Biol. 5: 171–179. &
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. 10: 305–318. Direct Link: &
- 1997. Chicken microsatellite markers isolated from libraries enriched for simple tandem repeats. Anim. Genet. 28: 401–417. , , , , &
- 1999. Effects of a population bottleneck on whooping crane mitochondrial DNA variation. Conserv. Biol. 13: 1097–1107. , &
- 1995. FSTAT (version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86: 485–486.
- 2000. ‘Ghost’ alleles of the Mauritius kestrel. Nature 403: 616. , , &
- 2003. Ancient DNA evidence of prolonged population persistence with negligible genetic diversity in an endemic tuco-tuco (Ctenomys sociabilis). J. Mammal. 84: 403–417. , , &
- 1994. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci in a passerine bird: the reed bunting Emberiza schoeniclus. Mol. Ecol. 3: 529–530. , , , , &
- 2001. Microsatellite diversity predicts recruitment of sibling great reed warblers. Proc. R. Soc. B. 268: 1287–1291. , , &
- 2003. Low genetic divergence obscures phylogeny among populations of Sphenodon, remnant of an ancient reptile lineage. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 29: 1–19. , , &
- 1996. The Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand. Viking, Auckland. &
- 1994. Purging inbreeding depression and the probability of extinction: full-sib mating. Heredity 73: 363–372.
- 2002. Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic birds. Volume 6: Pardalotes to shrike-thrushes. Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 1225 pp. & eds,
- 2006. Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic birds. Volume 7: Boatbill to starlings. Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 1055 pp. , & eds,
- 1996. Persistence of British natterjack toad Bufo calamita Laurenti (Anura: Bufonidae) populations despite low genetic diversity. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 57: 69–80. &
- 1999. Impact of population bottlenecks on genetic variation and the importance of life-history; a case study of the northern elephant seal. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68: 23–39.
- 2003. Ancient DNA gives green light to Galápagos land iguana repatriation. Conserv. Genet. 4: 105–108. , , , , , , &
- 2001. Determining the species status of one of the world's rarest frogs: a conservation dilemma. Anim. Conserv. 4: 29–35. , &
- 2003. The distribution and current status of New Zealand saddleback Philesturnus carunculatus. Bird Conserv. Int. 13: 79–95. &
- 2004. Variation in breeding success among reintroduced island populations of South Island saddlebacks Philesturnus carunculatus carunculatus. Ibis 146: 416–426. &
- 1996. Low genetic variability of the koala Phascolarctos cinereus in south-eastern Australia following a severe population bottleneck. Mol. Ecol. 5: 269–281. Direct Link:, , , &
- 1999. Genetic variation within and among populations of kokako (Callaeas cinerea). MSc Thesis, University of Waikato, Hamilton. .
- 2000. Low genetic variability in small populations of New Zealand kokako Callaeas cinerea wilsoni. Biol. Conserv. 96: 105–112. , , &
- 2004. Genetic diversity and disease resistance in leaf-cutting ant societies. Evolution 58: 1251–1260. &
- 2006. Inbreeding and endangered species management: is New Zealand out of step with the rest of the world? Conserv. Biol. 20: 38–47. , &
- 1997. Importance of genetic variation to the viability of mammalian populations. J. Mammal. 78: 320–335.
- 2005. Serial population bottlenecks and genetic variation: translocated populations of the New Zealand saddleback (Philesturnus carunculatus rufusater). Conserv. Genet. 6: 1–14. , , , , &
- 1998. Risk of population extinction from fixation of deleterious and reverse mutations. Genetica 102/103: 21–27.
- 2002. Loss of genetic diversity in sea otters (Enhydra lutris) associated with the fur trade of the 18th and 19th centuries. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1899–1903. , , , &
- 1998. Genes are not enough. Curr. Biol. 8: R722–R724.
- 2000. Population genetics of Ice Age brown bears. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 97: 1651–1654. , &
- 1996. A comparison of the effects of predation by Norway (Rattus norvegicus) and Polynesion rats (R. exulans) on saddleback (Philesturnus carunculatus). Notornis 43: 91–112.
- 1998. Usefulness of molecular markers for detecting population boottlenecks via monitoring genetic change. Mol. Ecol. 7: 963–974. , , &
- 2001. Low genetic diversity in an endangered species: recent or historic pattern? Biol. Conserv. 98: 61–68. &
- 2003. Environmental change since the last glaciation. In: The Natural History of Southern New Zealand (J. T. Darby, R. E. Fordyce, A. Mark, K. Probert & C. Townsend, eds), pp. 105–128. University of Otago Press, Dunedin. , &
- 1994. The genetic, molecular and phenotypic consequences of selection for insecticide resistance. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9: 166–169. &
- 1975. The saddleback: its status and conservation. In: Breeding Endangered Species in Captivity (R. D. Martin, ed.), pp. 61–74. Academic Press, London.
- 2003. The history of effective population size and genetic diversity in the Yellowstone grizzly (Ursus arctos): implications for conservation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 100: 4334–4339. &
- 2003. Minisatellite DNA profiling detects lineages and parentage in the endangered kakapo (Strigops habroptilus) despite low microsatellite DNA variation. Conserv. Genet. 4: 265–274. , , , &
- 1997. Skin from feet of museum specimens as a non-destructive source of DNA for avian genotyping. Auk 114: 126–129. , &
- Nano Drop Technologies Inc. 2006. ND-1000 Spectrophotometer V3.3 User's Manual. Nano Drop Technologies Inc., Wilmington, DE.
- 1980. Colonisation of Coppermine Island by North Island saddleback. Notornis 27: 146–147.
- 1997. Increased probability of extinction due to decreased genetic effective population size: experimental populations of Clarkia pulchella. Evolution 51: 354–362. &
- 1999. Genetic variation in time and space: microsatellite analysis of extinct and extant populations of Atlantic salmon. Evolution 53: 261–268. , &
- 1978. The South Island saddleback. Wildl. Rev. 9: 32–36.
- 1988. Interactive influences of infectious disease and genetic diversity in natural populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 3: 254–259. &
- 2004. Genetic analyses from ancient DNA. Annu. Rev. Genet. 38: 645–679. , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Prehistoric decline of genetic diversity in the nene. Science 296: 1827. , , , , &
- 2001. Genetic consequences of population decline in the European otter (Lutra lutra): an assessment of microsatellite DNA variation in Danish otters from 1883 to 1993. Proc. R. Soc. B. 268: 1775–1781. , , , , &
- 1999. Bottleneck: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90: 502–503. , &
- 1996. A wide-range survey of cross-species microsatellite amplification in birds. Mol. Ecol. 5: 365–378. Direct Link:, &
- 1995. Genepop (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86: 248–249. &
- 1988. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 2000. Fifty Seychelles warbler (Acrocephalus sechellensis) microsatellite loci polymorphic in Sylviidae species and their cross-amplification in other passerine birds. Mol. Ecol. 9: 2226–2231. , , , , &
- 1994. The use of museum specimens to reconstruct the genetic variability and relationships of extinct populations. Experientia 50: 551–557. , , &
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392: 491–494. , , , , &
- 2001. Characterization of microsatellite loci in village indigobirds Vidua chalybeata and cross-species amplification in estrildid and ploceid finches. Mol. Ecol. Notes 1: 252–254. , &
- 1991. Preservation of avian blood and tissue samples for DNA analyses. Can. J. Zool. 69: 82–90. , &
- 1994. Conservation genetics and detection of rare alleles in finite populations. Conserv. Biol. 8: 267–270. &
- 2000. Inbreeding depression influences lifetime breeding success in a wild population of red deer (Cervus elaphus). Proc. R. Soc. B. 267: 1657–1662. , , , &
- 1995. Lack of restriction-site variation in mitochondrial-DNA control region of whooping cranes (Grus americana). Auk 112: 1045–1049. &
- 1996. Reliable genotyping of samples with very low DNA quantities using PCR. Nucl. Acids Res. 24: 3189–3194. , , , , , , &
- 1998. Primers for polymorphic GT microsatellites isolated from the Mariana crow, Corvus kubaryi. Mol. Ecol. 7: 247–255. &
- 1994. Patterns of range contractions and extinctions in the New Zealand herpetofauna following human colonisation. N. Z. J. Zool. 21: 325–339. &
- 2004. Micro-Checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 535–538. , , &
- 2001. A viable herd of genetically uniform cattle. Nature 409: 303. , , &
- 1991. Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material. Biotechniques 10: 506–513. , &
- 2001. Post-bottleneck genetic diversity of elephant populations in South Africa, revealed using microsatellite analysis. Mol. Ecol. 10: 2139–2149. &
- 2000. Fixation of new alleles and the extinction of small populations: drift load, beneficial alleles, and sexual selection. Evolution 54: 1855–1861.
- 1999. The panda and the phage: compensatory mutations and the persistence of small populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 295–296. &
- 2002. Microsatellite variation in the reintroduced Pennsylvania elk herd. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1299–1310. , , &
- 2002. Genetic diversity and fitness in black-footed ferrets before and during a bottleneck. J. Hered. 93: 231–237. , , , &