How to separate genetic and environmental causes of similarity between relatives
Article first published online: 15 JUN 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 5, pages 1890–1903, September 2007
How to Cite
KRUUK, L. E. B. and HADFIELD, J. D. (2007), How to separate genetic and environmental causes of similarity between relatives. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1890–1903. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01377.x
- Issue published online: 3 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 15 JUN 2007
- Received 8 February 2007; revised 10 April 2007; accepted 14 April 2007
- 1997. Estimates of genetic parameters for litter size at different parities in pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 47: 149–156. , , &
- 1991. Conditioning Diagnostics: Collinearity and Weak Data in Regression. Wiley, New York.
- 2004. Sexual dimorphism, survival and dispersal in red deer. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 9: 1–26. , , , &
- 2005. How do misassigned paternities affect the estimation of heritability in the wild? Mol. Ecol. 14: 2839–2850. &
- 2004. Testing for microevolution in body size in three blue tit populations. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 732–743. , , &
- 2006. Evolutionary response to selection on clutch size in a long-term study of the mute swan. Am. Nat. 167: 453–465. , , &
- 2001. Simulation analysis to test the influence of model adequacy and data structure on the estimation of genetic parameters for traits with direct and maternal effects. Genet. Sel. Evol. 33: 369–395. , , , , , &
- 2004. Soay Sheep: Population Dynamics and Selection on St. Kilda. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &
- 1982. Red Deer – Behaviour and Ecology of Two Sexes. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , &
- 2001. Positive genetic correlation between parasite resistance and body size in a free-living ungulate population. Evolution 55: 2116–2125. , , , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Essex. &
- 2005. How to use molecular marker data to measure evolutionary parameters in wild populations. Mol. Ecol. 14: 1843–1859. &
- 2002. ASReml User Guide Release 1.0. VSN International Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , , &
- 2006. Direct versus indirect sexual selection: genetic basis of colour, size and recruitment in a wild bird. Proc. R. Soc. B 273: 1347–1353. , , , , &
- 1996. A simulation study of the effect of connectedness on genetic trend. Genet. Sel. Evol. 28: 67–82. , &
- 2002. Effects of spatial autocorrelation, natal philopatry and phenotypic plasticity on the heritability of laying date. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 380–387. &
- 1989. The evolution of maternal characters. Evolution 43: 485–503. &
- 2004. Egg size and offspring performance: in search of the best method. Oikos 106: 422–426. &
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in wild populations using the ‘animal model’. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 359: 873–890.
- 2000. Heritability of fitness in a wild mammal population. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97: 698–703. , , , , &
- 2001. Phenotypic selection on heritable size traits revisited. Am. Nat. 158: 557–571. , &
- 2002. Antler size in red deer: heritability and selection but no evolution. Evolution 56: 1683–1695. , , , , &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. &
- 2003. Heritability of parental investment in a passerine bird. Evolution 57: 2191–2195. &
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Mol. Ecol. 7: 639–655. , , &
- 2002. Maternal effects and the potential for evolution in a natural population of animals. Evolution 56: 846–851. , , &
- 2004. Components of variance underlying fitness in a natural population of the great tit Parus major. Am. Nat. 164: E64–E74. , , , , &
- 1996. Genetic variation in offspring condition: an experiment. Funct. Ecol. 10: 465–474.
- 1997. Expression of genetic variation in body size of the collared flycatcher under different environmental conditions. Evolution 51: 526–536.
- 2001. Avian quantitative genetics. Curr. Ornithol. 16: 179–255. &
- 2001a. Cryptic evolution in a wild bird population. Nature 412: 76–79. , &
- 2001b. Natural selection on the genetical component of variance in body condition in a wild bird population. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 918–929. , &
- 2006. Evolution and expression of genetic variation in nestling traits. Proc. 23rd Int. Ornithol. Cong., Acta Zool. Sin. 52 (Suppl.): 666–669. , &
- 1998. Estimating covariance functions for longitudinal data using a random regression model. Genet. Sel. Evol. 30: 221–240.
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2003. Heritability of energetics in a wild mammal, the leaf-eared mouse (Phyllotis darwini). Evolution 57: 1679–1688. , &
- 1979. British Tits. Collins, London.
- 2005. Heritability and genetic constraints of life-history trait evolution in preindustrial humans. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 2838–2843. , , &
- 2000. Mixed Effects Models in S and S-Plus. Springer Verlag, New York. &
- 2006. Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of natural selection and micro-evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 309–320.
- 2006. Data depth, data completeness, and their influence on quantitative genetic estimation in two contrasting bird populations. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 994–1002. , , &
- R Development Team. ‘‘R: A Language and environment for statistical computing’’. Publisher: R Foundation for Statistical Computing, http://www.r-project.org .
- 2007. Maternal Effects and Evolution on Ecological Time Scales. Funct. Ecol. 21: 408–421. &
- 2002. Evolutionary importance of parental care performance, food resources, and direct and indirect genetic effects in a burying beetle. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 407–417. &
- 1999. Heritability of body mass varies with age and season in wild bighorn sheep. Heredity 83: 526–532. , &
- 1985. Covariance between direct and maternal genetic-effects in mice, with a model of persistent environmental-influences. Genet. Res. 45: 287–297. , &
- 1996. Incidence and consequences of inherited environmental effects. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27: 451–476.
- 2002. Choice of statistical model for estimating genetic parameters using restricted maximum likelihood in swine. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 119: 285–296. , , &
- 2002. Likelihood, Bayesian and MCMC Methods in Quantitative Genetics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. &
- 1987. Collinearity and least squares regression. Stat. Sci. 2: 68–84.
- 1972. The role of maternal effects in animal breeding. J. Anim. Sci. 28: 74–81.
- 2005a. Maternal genetic effects set the potential for evolution in a free-living vertebrate population. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 405–414. , , , , &
- 2005b. Ontogenetic patterns in heritable variation for body size: using random regression models in a wild ungulate population. Am. Nat. 166: E177–E192. , &
- 2006. Environmental coupling of selection and heritability limits evolution. PLoS Biol. 4: e216. , , , , , &