Short-term rates of parasite evolution predict the evolution of host diversity
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 20, Issue 5, pages 1682–1688, September 2007
How to Cite
BUCKLING, A. and HODGSON, D. J. (2007), Short-term rates of parasite evolution predict the evolution of host diversity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 20: 1682–1688. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01402.x
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2007
- Received 27 March 2007; revised 25 May 2007; accepted 4 June 2007
- 2000. Character shifts of prey species that share predators. Am. Nat. 156(Suppl.): S46–S61.
- 2002. The evolution of traits affecting resource acquisition and predator vulnerability: character displacement under real and apparent competition. Am. Nat. 160: 692–704.
- 1931. Animal Aggregations. A Study in General Sociology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2000. Linking genetic change to community evolution: insights from studies of bacteria and bacteriophage. Ecol. Lett. 3: 362–377. &
- 2004. The effect of parasites and spatial heterogeneity on the evolution of host diversity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 107–111. , &
- 2007. Niche occupation limits adaptive radiation in experimental microcosms. PloS One 2: e193. , , &
- 2002a. Antagonistic coevolution between a bacterium and a bacteriophage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 931–936. &
- 2002b. The role of parasites in sympatric and allopatric diversification. Nature 420: 496–499. &
- 2003. Adaptation limits diversification of experimental bacterial populations. Science 302: 2107–2109. , &
- 1977. A complex community in a simple habitat: an experimental study with bacteria and phage. Ecology 58: 369–378. , &
- 2002. The interaction between predation and competition: a review and synthesis. Ecol. Lett. 5: 302–315. , , , , , , , &
- 1979. The evolution of genetic diversity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 205: 453–474.
- 2000. Evolutionary branching and sympatric speciation caused by different types of ecological interactions. Am. Nat. 156(Suppl.): S77–S101. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene for gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1994. The ecological consequences of shared natural enemies. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25: 495–520. &
- 1996. Statistics and partitioning of species diversity, and similarity among multiple communities. Oikos 76: 5–13.
- 1984. Coevolution of bacteria and phage – are there endless cycles of bacterial defenses and phage counterdefenses? J. Theor. Biol. 108: 319–325.
- 1977. Resource-limited growth, competition and predation: a model and experimental studies with bacteria and bacteriophage. Am. Nat. 111: 3–24. , &
- 2004. Parasites mediate the relationship between diversity and disturbance. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1029–1034. &
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host–parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 1996. Physical and genetic map of the Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 chromosome. Mol. Microbiol. 19: 521–533. &
- 1998. Adaptive radiation in a heterogeneous environment. Nature 394: 69–72. &
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiations. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1949. Measurement of diversity. Nature 163: 688.
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. TREE 13: 329–332.
- 2005. On the role of enemies in divergence and diversification of prey: a review and synthesis. Can. J. Zool. 83: 894–910.
- 1999. A pluralist approach to sex and recombination. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 1003–1012. , &
- 2003. Rapid evolution drives ecological dynamics in a predator–prey system. Nature 424: 303–306. , , , &