Migration load in plants: role of pollen and seed dispersal in heterogeneous landscapes
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2007
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 294–309, January 2008
How to Cite
LOPEZ, S., ROUSSET, F., SHAW, F. H., SHAW, R. G. and RONCE, O. (2008), Migration load in plants: role of pollen and seed dispersal in heterogeneous landscapes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 294–309. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01442.x
- Issue published online: 7 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2007
- Received 16 July 2007; revised 3 September 2007; accepted 6 September 2007
- 2006. Geographical patterns of adaptation within a species range: interactions between drift and gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 203–215. , &
- 2006. Evolution in closely adjacent plant populations. 10. Long-term persistence of prereproductive isolation at a mine boundary. Heredity 97: 33–37.
- 1970. Evolution in closely adjacent plant populations. 8. Clinal patterns at a mine boundary. Heredity 25: 349–362. &
- 2006. Effective seed dispersal across a fragmented landscape. Science 311: 628. , &
- 1986. The maintenance of polygenic variation through a balance between mutation and stabilizing selection. Genet. Res. 47: 209–216.
- 1999. Clines in polygenic traits. Genet. Res. 74: 223–236.
- 2001. Adaptation at the edge of a species’ range. In: Integrating Ecology and Evolution in a Spatial Context. (J.Silvertown & J.Antonovics, eds), pp. 365–392. Blackwell Science, New York.
- 2005. Evolution of migration under kin selection and local adaptation. Evolution 59: 13–23. &
- 1996. Genetic markers and quantitative genetic variation in Medicago truncutula (Leguminosae): a comparative analysis of population structure. Genetics 143: 1795–1805. , &
- 1989. Maintenance of genetic variability by mutation-selection balance: a child's guide through the jungle. Genome 31: 761–767.
- 1989. How much heritable variation can be maintained in finite populations by mutation selection balance. Evolution 43: 1748–1766. , &
- 2003. Genetic structure and mating systems of metallicolous and nonmetallicolous populations of Thlaspi caerulescens. New Phytol. 157: 633–641. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Dangerous liaisons? When cultivated plants mate with their wild relatives. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD and London.
- 2000. Zinc and cadmium hyperaccumulation by Thlaspi caerulescens from metalliferous and nonmetalliferous sites in the Mediterranean area: implications for phytoremediation. New Phytol. 145: 429–437. , , , , , &
- 2004a. Evolutionary potential of Chamaecrista fasciculata in relation to climate change. I. Clinal patterns of selection along an environmental gradient in the great plains. Evolution 58: 1446–1458.
- 2004b. Evolutionary potential of Chamaecrista fasciculata in relation to climate change. II. Genetic architecture of three populations reciprocally planted along an environmental gradient in the great plains. Evolution 58: 1459–1471.
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294: 151–154. &
- 2001. Comparative allozyme and microsatellite population structure in a narrow endemic plant species, Centaurea corymbosa Pourret (Asteraceae). Mol. Ecol. 10: 879–889. , &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1997. Genetic models of adaptation and gene flow in peripheral populations. Evolution 51: 21–28. &
- 2005. Balancing selection in the wild: testing population genetics theory of self-incompatibility in the rare species Brassica insularis. Genetics 171: 279–289. , , , , &
- 2006. Rapid differentiation of experimental populations of wheat for heading time in response to local climatic conditions. Ann. Bot. 98: 805–817. , , , &
- 1992. Maintenance of polygenic variation in spatially structured populations – roles for local mating and genetic redundancy. Evolution 46: 412–429. &
- 2006. Divergent selection on flowering time contributes to local adaptation in Mimulus guttatus populations. Evolution 60: 2466–2477. &
- 1970. Monte-Carlo sampling methods using Markov chains and their applications. Biometrika 57: 97–109.
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? – An evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58: 2319–2331. &
- 2001. Population mixing and the adaptive divergence of quantitative traits in discrete populations: a theoretical framework for empirical tests. Evolution 55: 459–466. , &
- 2003. The phenomenology of niche evolution via quantitative traits in a black-hole sink. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. 270: 215–224. , &
- 2005. Tension versus ecological zones in a two-locus system. Theor. Popul. Biol. 68: 119–131.
- 2001. Assessment of the ratio of pollen to seed flow in a cline for genetic variation in a quantitative trait. Heredity 87: 400–409. &
- 2002. Seed and pollen flow and cline discordance among genes with different modes of inheritance. Heredity 88: 212–217. &
- 1996. Genetic differentiation among natural populations of the rare corsican endemic Brassica insularis Moris: implications for conservation guidelines. Biol. Conserv. 76: 25–30.
- 2007. Life history variation in the heavy metal tolerant plant Thlaspi caerulescens growing in a network of contaminated and noncontaminated sites in southern France: role of gene flow, selection and phenotypic plasticity. New Phytol. 173: 199–215. , , , , &
- 2005. Theoretical models of selection and mutation on quantitative traits. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. 360: 1411–1425. &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 2000. Genetic introgression from distant provenances reduces fitness in local weed populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 647–659. , &
- 1997. Evolution of a species range. Am. Nat. 150: 1–23. &
- 1992. Neutral theory of quantitative genetic variance in an island model with local extinction and colonization. Evolution 46: 381–389.
- 2006. Integrating patterns across multiple genetic markers to infer spatial processes. Landsc. Ecol. 21: 809–820.
- 2003. Genetic variability at neutral markers, quantitative trait loci and trait in a subdivided population under selection. Genetics 164: 1205–1219. &
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 1997. Consequences of gene flow in spatially structured populations. Genet. Res. 69: 49–60.
- 1987. Heavy-metal tolerance in plants: a model evolutionary system. Trends Ecol. Evol. 2: 354–359.
- 1997. The relative contributions of seed and pollen movement to the local genetic structure of Silene alba. J. Hered. 88: 257–263.
- 2005. ‘‘How local is local?’’– a review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restor. Ecol. 13: 432–440. , , &
- 1968. Evolution in closely adjacent plant populations. 3. Agrostis tenuis on a small copper mine. Heredity 23: 99–108.
- 1968. Evolution in closely adjacent plant populations. 4. Barriers to gene flow. Heredity 23: 205–218. &
- 1992. Patterns of genetic diversity in Australian tree species. New For. 6: 49–66.
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host–parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 1997. The diffusion model for migration and selection in a plant population. J. Math. Biol. 35: 409–431.
- 1999. Population genetics, molecular markers and the study of dispersal in plants. J. Ecol. 87: 551–568. , &
- 2005. A genome-wide analysis of differentiation between wild and domesticated Phaseolus vulgaris from Mesoamerica. Theor. Appl. Genet. 111: 1147–1158. , , &
- 1993. Geographic structure of chloroplast DNA polymorphisms in European oaks. Theor. Appl. Genet. 87: 122–128. , &
- 2001. Gene flow and local adaptation in two endemic plant species. Biol. Conserv. 100: 21–34. , , , , , , , &
- 1996. Maintenance of polygenic variation via a migration-selection balance under uniform selection. Evolution 50: 1334–1339.
- 2006. Genetic differentiation of neutral markers and quantitative traits in predominantly selfing metapopulations: confronting theory and experiments with Arabidopsis thaliana. Genet. Res. 87: 1–12. , &
- 2006. Selective interactions between short-distance pollen and seed dispersal in self-compatible species. Evolution 60: 2257–2271. , , &
- 2002. Intraspecific responses to climate in Pinus sylvestris. Glob. Chang. Biol. 8: 912–929. , , , , &
- 2001. When sources become sinks: migrational meltdown in heterogeneous habitats. Evolution 55: 1520–1531. &
- 2004. Genetic structure and selection in subdivided populations. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2004. Genetic variation in cessation of growth and frost hardiness and consequences for adaptation of Pinus sylvestris to climatic changes. For. Ecol. Manage. 197: 79–89. , , , &
- 2002. A comprehensive model of mutations affecting fitness and inferences for Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 3: 453–463. , &
- 2004. The maintenance (or not) of polygenic variation by soft selection in heterogeneous environments. Am. Nat. 164: 70–84. &
- 2000. Quantitative genetic models for the balance between migration and stabilizing selection. Genet. Res. 76: 285–293.
- 2003. Bayesian inference of recent migration rates using multilocus genotypes. Genetics 163: 1177–1191. &
- 2006. Regional heterogeneity and gene flow maintain variance in a quantitative trait within populations of lodgepole pine. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. 273: 1587–1593. &