Corticosterone manipulation reveals differences in hierarchical organization of multidimensional reproductive trade-offs in r-strategist and K-strategist females
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2008
© 2007 The Authors
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 556–565, March 2008
How to Cite
LANCASTER, L. T., HAZARD, L. C., CLOBERT, J. and SINERVO, B. R. (2008), Corticosterone manipulation reveals differences in hierarchical organization of multidimensional reproductive trade-offs in r-strategist and K-strategist females. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 556–565. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01478.x
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2008
- Received 25 August 2007; revised 01 November 2007; accepted 20 November 2007
- 2003. Costing reproduction. Anim. Behav. 66: 199–204. &
- 2004. Hazardous duty pay and the foraging cost of predation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 999–1014. &
- 1990. Optimization models, quantitative genetics, and mutation. Evolution 44: 520–538.
- 1987. A general approach to survival rate estimation by recaptures or resightings of marked birds. Ardea 75: 133–142. , &
- 1998. The evolution of demographic tactics in lizards: a test of some hypotheses concerning life history evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 11: 329–364. , &
- 2003. Social competition, corticosterone and survival in female lizard morphs. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 948–955. , , &
- 2006. Experimental enhancement of corticosterone levels positively affects subsequent male survival. Horm. Behav. 49: 320–327. , , &
- 1993. Effects of corticosterone on social behavior of male lizards. Horm. Behav. 27: 184–199. &
- 2002. Hormones, developmental plasticity and adaptation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 190–196. , &
- 2004. Plasticity in resource allocation based life history traits in the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas. I. Spatial variation in food abundance. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 342–356. , , &
- 1992. Evolutionarily stable age at first reproduction in a density-dependent model. J. Theor. Biol. 157: 253–267. &
- 2000. Increased pre-natal maternal corticosterone promotes philopatry of offspring in common lizards Lacerta vivipara. J. Anim. Ecol. 69: 404–413. , , &
- 1989. An analysis of demographic tactics in birds and mammals. Oikos 56: 59–76. , , , , &
- 1991. Genetic covariance of fitness correlates: what genetic correlations are made of and why it matters. Evolution 45: 630–648.
- 1993. General results concerning the trade-off between gaining energy and avoiding predation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 341: 375–397. , &
- 1997. Genotype-environment interaction expressed in the foraging behaviour of dogwhelks, Nucella lapillus (L), under simulated environmental hazard. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 264: 417–422. &
- 1993. Covariances between traits deriving from successive allocations of a resource. Funct. Ecol. 7: 75–83.
- 1997. Capital and income breeding as alternative tactics of resource use in reproduction. Oikos 78: 57–66.
- 1999. Adaptation, exaptation, and constraint: a hormonal perspective. Am. Nat. 154: S4–S25. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland. &
- 2005. Is corticosterone-mediated phenotype development adaptive? Maternal corticosterone treatment enhances survival in male lizards Horm. Behav. 48: 44–52. &
- Gonadotropin hormone modulation of testosterone, immune function, performance and behavioral tradeoffs among male morphs of the lizard, Uta stansburiana. Am. Nat. (in press). , , , , , &
- 2003. Stress, reproduction, and adrenocortical modulation in amphibians and reptiles. Horm. Behav. 43: 39–47. &
- 1988. A critique of methods for measuring life history trade-offs. J. Evol. Biol. 1: 293–303. &
- 2001. Endocrine Physiology, 2nd edn. Mosby, Inc., St Louis.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2007. The evolution of trade-offs: where are we? J. Evol. Biol. 20: 433–447. &
- 2002. Seasonal changes in plasma glucocorticoid concentrations in free-living vertebrates. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 128: 1–24.
- 2003. Effects of corticosterone on the proportion of breeding females, reproductive output and yolk precursor levels. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 130: 205–214. &
- 2001. Runaway social games, genetic cycles driven by alternative male and female strategies, and the origin of morphs. Genetica 112–113: 417–434.
- 2008. Life history strategies, multi-dimensional trade-offs and behavioural syndromes. In: Behavioural Ecology (E.Danchin, L. A.Giraldeau & F.Cézilly, eds), Oxford University Press, Oxford (in press). &
- 1996. Costs of reproduction in the wild: path analysis of natural selection and experimental tests of causation. Evolution 50: 1299–1313. &
- 1996. Interactive effects of offspring size and timing of reproduction on offspring reproduction: experimental, maternal, and quantitative genetic aspects. Evolution 50: 1314–1327. &
- 1991a. Hormonal and physiological control of clutch size, egg size, and egg shape in side-blotched lizards (Uta stansburiana) – constraints on the evolution of lizard life histories. J. Exp. Zool. 257: 252–264. &
- 1991b. Proximate constraints on the evolution of egg size, number, and total clutch mass in lizards. Science 252: 1300–1302. &
- 1996. The rock-paper-scissors game and the evolution of alternative male strategies. Nature 380: 240–243. &
- 1992. Allometric engineering: a causal analysis of natural selection on offspring size. Science 258: 1927–1930. , , &
- 2000. Density cycles and an offspring quantity and quality game driven by natural selection. Nature 406: 985–988. , &
- 2001. Social causes of correlational selection and the resolution of a heritable throat color polymorphism in a lizard. Evolution 55: 2040–2052. , &
- 2006a. Genetic and maternal determinants of effective dispersal: the effect of sire genotype and size at birth in side-blotched lizards. Am. Nat. 168: 88–99. , , , , &
- 2006b. Self-recognition, color signals, and cycles of greenbeard mutualism and altruism. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 7372–7377. , , , , , , , , &
- 1989. Trade-offs in life history evolution. Funct. Ecol. 3: 259–268.
- 2002. Mechanistic and experimental analysis of condition in a polymorphic lizard. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 1034–1047. , &
- 1995. Nutrition mediates reproductive trade-offs with age-specific mortality in the beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Ecology 76: 2066–2073. &
- 1998. The evolutionary genetics of maternal effects. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T. A.Mousseau & C. W.Fox, eds), pp. 5–21. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1992. Correlation between female reproductive condition and plasma corticosterone in the lizard Uta stansburiana. Copeia 3: 691–697. &
- 1998. Ecological bases of hormone-behavior interactions: the ‘emergency life history stage’. Am. Zool. 38: 191–206. , , , , , &
- 2003. Consequences of hierarchical allocation for the evolution of life-history traits. Am. Nat. 161: 153–167. , &
- 2001. The physiology of life history trade-offs in animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32: 95–126. &